Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'RICO9'
July 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Cole' Dave'
July 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
2K-Ranger

2K-Ranger is on a distinguished road
Default Cruise control in a Ford Ranger

Hi guys... Ryan here and I just picked up a Ranger. Love the truck so far and glad to be on this forum!

My first question (oh and I will have many! is about putting cruise control on my truck. I've been looking at the Rostra kit here: http://www.redline360.com/rostra-uni...ntrol-250-1223 and also this switch: http://www.redline360.com/rostra-cru...-hand-250-3742

My truck is an auto so I don't think I need anything else. Do you guys recommend a kit like this, and if so, do you have any experience with this specific one?

Would it be better to try and get an OEM cruise control off a ranger in the junkyard? I figure that would be more work, but if not it might be a more reliable solution?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan
2K-Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 10-18-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
Brownie Mobile

Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
I use this vehicle for: To take up space in my driveway
Brownie Mobile is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum until you put the year engine and tranny type of your ranger on your profile we have no way of telling anything about your ranger, let us know the year engine tranny etc. just helps that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASMODEAN View Post
No but I bet it had leaky valve covers and a noisy power steering pump...
Brownie Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
snake

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Model: The mighty Ranger
I use this vehicle for: cruising for chicks
snake is on a distinguished road

I have put several of these kits on and they do work- but having a choice I would go with the factory unit if available. The factory stuff will require the steering wheel switches, and if you buy them new are over 100 bux by themselves... a junkyard unit might be the way to go for everything, assuming all the wiring is in place and I suspect it would be. Make sure you have the master cylinder recall done, a switch in the end of the master needs to be fused- they would leak and catch fire. You may not have that switch since it didn't come with cruise.
2002 XLT in wedgewood blue, 4.0 auto, 4 doors (no waiting) MP3, 3:55 limited slip rear, payload package, factory installed trailer hitch, side step bars. Built 7/31/2002, shipped 8/19/2002, purchased 9/25/2002 sold 8/2011.

2011 F-150 crewcab ecoboost twin turbo. Purchased 7/13/2011
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
snoranger
Premium Member

Tetris Champion

Vehicle Year: 94,94,95,01
Vehicle Make: All 10 are Ford
Vehicle Model: Ex, Cobra, Ex, Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Going places.
snoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie Mobile View Post
Welcome to the forum until you put the year engine and tranny type of your ranger on your profile we have no way of telling anything about your ranger, let us know the year engine tranny etc. just helps that way.

I'm going to throw out a guess here... He's got a 2000 Ranger.

The number of people who confuse "to" and "too" is just two damn high.
snoranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
adsm08
EOAH

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Elevenses
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Make sure you have the master cylinder recall done, a switch in the end of the master needs to be fused- they would leak and catch fire. You may not have that switch since it didn't come with cruise.
Couple issues with this part.

1) Ford's system shows the vehicle was not originally equipped with CC, so it won't show the recall as applying.

2) The old style switch that leaked is no longer available. It has been superceeded by a new unit that isn't prone to leaking, so if he buys the switch new (buy the switch new, it's cheap) he won't be able to get the bad one.

3) Being that the truck was not orginally equipped with CC, the port for that switch will not be milled into the master.

For the record, if your truck does fall into that year range you will need a new master because the system won't engage if that switch isn't there and working properly. I've seen leakers that kill the cruise system until they get replaced.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

HELP REPEAL OBAMACARE

HELP REPEAL WASHINGTON DC
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
hank857

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger 4.0 sc
hank857 is on a distinguished road

I put one from autozone on my 94 its by audio vox. Looks like you could add the late model steering wheel and stuff and hook it up as it is on/off, accel/coast only. so that is how the switches on the wheel are so the wiring is what would be needed I think to hook up to the control module. no need to mess with master cyl or anything either.
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
Brownie Mobile

Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
I use this vehicle for: To take up space in my driveway
Brownie Mobile is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoranger View Post
I'm going to throw out a guess here... He's got a 2000 Ranger.
good point lol i guess i dont really read the names but will recongnize them when i see them if that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASMODEAN View Post
No but I bet it had leaky valve covers and a noisy power steering pump...
Brownie Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
Destroyer000
January 2009 STOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 1995 1999
Vehicle Make: Ford Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger 4x4
I use this vehicle for: work, dd, trail, race
Destroyer000 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Destroyer000

get the factory cruise ... we just did this swap to about 4 trucks.. all of them were prewired.. had to get a cruise servo, new master with brake switch, and the cruise pods.. works great!!! should take you about an hour or so to swap it.

99 4x4 avm upgrade, 32 bfg on dc1s, ohc, sport trac leather seats/console swapped to manual trans
Destroyer000 is offline   Reply With Quote