Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Old 08-30-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
97ranger4x4

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: going from point A to B and lots of places in between
97ranger4x4 is on a distinguished road
Default Loose Steering

Hey guys,

I just put a new set of tires on my truck (the same tire) but my steering feels a little loose. Almost as if there is a little bit of play in it. To be honest it might be because I didnt drive my truck for a week and drove some passanger cars while I was out of town. I dont think I need an alignment since the tire size is the same.

Also what about greasing my tie rods? It has been a 6-10k since I did it probably. What about new bushings also? I was reading the tech article. Anyone reccomend a set of bushings or is there a test I can do to see how mine are. I basically want to go cheep since the most I will put is another 80k on the truck, and that is a big IF.

Thanks,
Keith
3.73 w Open diffs
Warn Hubs
K&N Filter
Flowmaster exhaust
Pioneer stereo
"don't **** with my truck, thats how people die."
"Do I love Rangers? Does a bear shit in the woods?"
97ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 08-30-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
MAKG
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Explorer
MAKG will become famous soon enough

There simply is no replacement for manhandling the front end to find out where the looseness is. Put it on jackstands and go to town. To check bushings, put the FRAME on jackstands.

You can spend a ridiculous amount of money guessing.

If your tie rod ends are worn out, it's far too late to be thinking about greasing them.

1990 VW Jetta GL, 1.8L 8V gasoline engine, manual transmission, painted in oxidized red paint and ponderosa pine sap, unknown mileage.

1991 Exploder, 4.0L, M5OD-R1 manual transmission, electronic BW1354 transfer case, 3.54 gears, 31 inch tires, icky two-tone blue paint with little clear coat, 230K miles.

1972 Chevy C-10, 250 I-6, SM465 (2WD) four-on-the-floor, 3.73 gears in a GM 12-bolt, puke green with a white cab. The "4 wheeled trash can," with x70K miles. x is probably 2.
MAKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:16 AM   #3
jelinski

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Mazda
Vehicle Model: B4000 LE
jelinski is on a distinguished road
Default Loose Steering- Here's what I found.

Hi!

I have ben fooling with a '94 Mazda B4000 (Ranger 4.0 clone) for one of my kids. We also noticed some play in the steering.... maybe 1/4" to 3/8" movement at the rim of the steering wheel. Had the kid gently work the steering wheel back and forth (just shy of enough steering wheel movement to make the front wheels turn) as I looked for movement between the joints (tie rod ends, etc) underneath. First thing I noticed was that there was NO movement coming out of the steering box. Kept checking and finally found that the play is at a joint in the steering column. The rubber/canvas 'flex joint' moved, but there was no movement at the steel universal joint (inside the plastic cover) that is right at the steering box input. The steering shaft between the flex coupling and the U-joint has a 'rod-and-tube' telescoping sliding joint. This is where the play is located on our truck. From the rubber 'flex joint', there is a solid round rod with a flat on opposite sides. This rod slides into a tubular section, the tube has a round hole with 'D' flats on each side, so the solid rod can transmit torque to the sleeve. The sleeve is supposed to fit snug on the rod. After 170,000 or so miles, a few thousandth's of clearance has developed between the 'flats' on the rod and the 'D' flats on the sleeve.
To check for this, open the hood, open the driver's door, unlock the steering. Do not start the engine. Locate the rod-and-tube joint. Watch the joint closely as you gently rock the steering wheel back and forth. You may also try placing the ball of one finger of your left hand so that it is across the joint (touching both the rod and the end of the sleeve), and feel for relative movement as you VERY gently rock the steering wheel back and forth with your right hand. This is how I found the play in our steering. Remember, just a few thousandth's of an inch of play at this joint can translate to a noticeable 1/4 to 3/8 inch of play at the rim of the steering wheel.

I hope this helps!

Jim Jelinski
jelinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:31 AM   #4
LeroyJenkins

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: A to B and general shenanigans
LeroyJenkins is on a distinguished road
Default what is the part called?

Jelinski,
My steering has play in the exact spot that you are describing. I have been searching for a part to replace this with or a solution to the problem but haven't had any luck. Can you possibly post a link to a similar part or let me know what the part is called? My 1991 4.0 ranger has a new engine but the steering system has over 200k miles on it and is very loose. Anyone who could aid me in finding the correct parts to replace would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys
LeroyJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
bn6339

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: Ranger splash
bn6339 is on a distinguished road
Default Part named lower coupling

Leroy,

I believe the part you are seeking is a "lower coupling" if you have a service manual, you may want to verify that....I noticed that for my 94 it is rather spendy @approx $300.00, but considering its vital function, this might not be something you would want to economize....hth,

BSG
bn6339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
doorgunner
Lab Rat for V.A. hospital

Vehicle Year: 1936/1989
I use this vehicle for: FUN on a daily basis!
doorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond repute

In pre-'90 steering....there are 2 plastic D-shims(bushings) that take up the slack between the d-shaft & d-sleeve......I don't know if newer vehicles use the plastic shims....but it's a cheap easy fix to replace the worn shims(bushings).....

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
(Condensed Version) I have determined that every last Automotive Engineer is an atheist.......it is quite apparent that not a single one believes in intelligent design.
*****All the people who's freedom of speech I fought to defend are now telling me to shut up*****

The Congress who issued me a Machine Gun to kill as many of THEIR enemies as possible now wants my Winchester Model 1894 because I have PTSD!
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
jd483

Vehicle Year: '89
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT Longbed 2.3l
jd483 is on a distinguished road

Anybody got a part number or anything for these d-shims?
jd483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
sdawg

Vehicle Year: 1993
I use this vehicle for: Daughters truck
sdawg is on a distinguished road

I have the same issue, how do we change the D shims?
sdawg is offline   Reply With Quote