Rear 7.5, open (No L/S), Differential Fluid Change Questions


Featured Build Threads

RangerNeophyte

10+ Year Member

Joined
Apr 22, 2015
Messages
19
Points
1,601
Vehicle Year
1997
Transmission
Manual
Hello everyone,

My vehicle is a '97 Ranger
7.5 open

First off I found this thread:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Ford-7_5-axle.shtml

and

This video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmqMUJb-E4M

The first question from first link (the Ranger Station thread) says:

"Differnential cover bolt: 10."

I suppose this means there are 10 bolts.

What is the torque specification for the 10 diff. cover bolts?

The guy in the video says his specs were 25-35, but I want to be sure they're the same on mine.

Second and third question:

The video shows (Here) that his fill plug is above the shelf/crease/ wing on the driver's side. My fill plug is below that shelf/crease/wing on the driver's side (about where the triangle symbol is on the video).

Is that indeed a fill plug on mine or something else?

It seems to me to be placed too low.

What is the torque spec. on this plug, if known?

Fourth question:

Chilton calls for "API GL-5 SAE 90 hypoid gear lubricant."

Just to double check, is this correct?

Sometimes I don't trust the ol' Chilton.


Other than these questions. I'm going to pretty much do exactly what the guy in the video demonstrates, unless somebody on Ranger Station has any other advice.

Thanks in advance!
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top