• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Failed Emissions, AGAIN

94RangerVa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
Greetings,

My 1994 4x4, 4L with 5 speed, has 158K miles. It passed a recent safety inspection, but failed the Virginia emissions test because of high NOX. I added "Guaranteed To Pass" to the fuel and took it to the shop for a tune up and complete filter/fluid changed. Also had the O2 sensor and thermostat changed.

Because mine is one of the 94 models that was produced without an EGR valve, the mechanic said the catalytic converter would be the cause of the failure. So I had the complete exhaust system replaced (pipes, muffler, converter).

I took the truck back for a retest today and the truck failed again. In fact, the NOX numbers were actually worse than the 1st test.

The truck still has 1/2 a tank of the gas with the "Guaranteed To Pass" in it. Is this the reason for the 2nd failure? Does this stuff increase the NOX? If so, Ill run it all out and refuel before retesting.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The only advice I can give to you is before you take it in again drive at least 30 to 45 minutes before you get to the shop preferably at highway speeds, and call them about 10 minutes before you get there so they can test it as soon as you pull up. Don't let it cool down. I would also try a different shop.

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Won't they give you a waiver if you pay for repairs over a X dollar amount? In Ohio it is 300 dollars with conditions. Check but I did a search and in Virginia it's 780 dollars but there are conditions.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The cat is supposed to remove all NOX from the exhaust, but if the levels produced are too high then it won't get all of it.

Cats only work above 400*F, so a test done on a cold system will have higher than normal NOX. NOX is only produced above 1500* combustion temp though, so running lean makes higher NOX. Fuel additives could also do that. I'd run the rest of that stuff out and try to richen the mix if you can.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
In WA you can get the waiver but you have to give the money to a state emission approved shop. If you buy the parts and put them in yourself it dont count toward the waiver. Is the muffler shop state approved?

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Are the O2 sensors working? Hook up a meter and watch the voltage. A working O2 sensor should dither between .2 and .9 VDC below .45 and above .55. It has to be in constant motion within the range. If it parks on a voltage, then it is no good. If you pull the dip stick, volts will go low. Put it back in and pull the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator to make it run rich .8 or .9.

Ok, that was the drill for my '88 528e. I don't have to pass emissions in MA. They only test OBD2 If the FPR is someplace hard to get, try blocking off the air to intake instead. At the time I had flunked for NOx and an OEM BMW sensor was 110$, so I was testing the bee-geezus out of the O2 sensor before I gave up on it.

Just had a wild guess. Was the Y pipe replaced? If so, the O2 sensors were messed with. They are a PITA to find their harness connections behind the engine. I very carefully unplugged them, when I had the pipe out. 21 yr old wiring is very brittle, it may have been damaged.

94RangerVa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
So it seems that the garage installed the wrong type of catalytic converter. There are different types for ERG versus non-ERG system equipped trucks.

A new catalytic converter, this one designed for non-ERG system equipped trucks, has resolved the issue. It passed!

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Mike

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
So it seems that the garage installed the wrong type of catalytic converter. There are different types for ERG versus non-ERG system equipped trucks.

A new catalytic converter, this one designed for non-ERG system equipped trucks, has resolved the issue. It passed!

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Mike
Thanks for the final update.

By the way, on that guaranteed to pass and other fuel additives that help, you got to run a tank thru and it is on the next tank you test.

94RangerVa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the tip.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

25th Anniversary Merch

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals