Home Ford Ranger Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum  

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > Non RBV Build Threads

Old 05-13-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
JohnnyU
"Outlaw"

Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle Make: Chevrolet
Vehicle Model: Trailblazer SS
JohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond repute
Default Build Thread - 1-ton Chevy Swap

I'm fairly certrain that most of you guys won't be interested in this project since it's not a Ranger . I reserve the right to remove any posts that are made in an effort to start an argument or otherwise add no value to this thread. This will highlight the build process of the truck that is replacing my Ranger as far as wheeling duties are concerned. The truck is a 1991 Chevy 1/2 ton. I bought the truck shortly after my 16th birthday. I plowed snow with it, pulled trailers, and DD'ed it until last May. It had the solid body and frame, good v-8 and built auto trans that the Ranger only dreamed of, so it was deemed as a better platform to continue building from.

I got an awesome deal (free) on a 14FF rear axle from a 1-ton dually.

Tore it down and did some cleaning/rebuilding:

MMM, full floating axle shafts.... 1.458" at the flange, 1.351" operating

I decided the drums had to go, so I swapped on some disc brakes using caliper brackets from Ballistic.

I bought a pair of diff covers (one for the front Kingpin 60 as well) from GreatLakeOffroad - Awesome Product!

All cleaned up, painted and reassembled.

I also welded the tubes to prevent them from inadvertently spinning under high-torque conditions. It's a common problem as the plug welds the factory uses are really not sufficient.

This is as far as I've made it to this point. I've got most of the parts to proceed, I will be rebuilding the front 60 as well as installing the new rear springs and shackle flip kit. Stay tuned for more progress.

Earth Resin Offroad

Last edited by JohnnyU; 05-13-2008 at 09:50 PM.
JohnnyU is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

SPRING ONLINE MAGAZINE!

Check out the latest articles

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
Dangeranger3

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: F350
Dangeranger3 is on a distinguished road

FINALLY! I've been waiting for this build. All the work looks good as usual. What gears do they have? Locker maybe or what the hell is that in the diff?

My rig is no more

87 F350, 6.9 IDI, 5 spd, 2wd, reg cab, utility bed, DRW, 4.10 LS
Dangeranger3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:32 PM   #3
gotmudd

Vehicle Year: 1973
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: F250-HI-BOY
I use this vehicle for: whatever i want [ like driving over small jap cars that cut me off ]
gotmudd is on a distinguished road

only got one word and a smiley: NICE, oh yeah, and one comment, AS LONG AS YOU'RE HAPPY, who cares what other people say, i say way to go. and one question how hard was the disk brake conversion, i have drums front and back and want to covert to disks up front
Old 05-13-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
Mutant Pony

Vehicle Year: 1977
Vehicle Model: Pinto
I use this vehicle for: Mud racing/trails
Mutant Pony will become famous soon enough

I don't care if you want to deal with crap.
Posting it here is just asking for a fight, As usual.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:52 PM   #5
JohnnyU
"Outlaw"

Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle Make: Chevrolet
Vehicle Model: Trailblazer SS
JohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeranger3 View Post
FINALLY! I've been waiting for this build. All the work looks good as usual. What gears do they have? Locker maybe or what the hell is that in the diff?
The axles both have 4.10's in them now. Not great, but it's better than 3.55's or anything less. My plan for now is to run them as-is just to get them under the truck. Once I have the truck rolling on the new axles and the suspension dialed in, I can start thinking about regearing. The 14FF has an open carrier but uses the "orb" method for a locker. Basically, the four spiders and the side gears were welded into a ball or "orb of traction" as seen here:

This picture is from biggervalves as I didn't take any pictures when I welded mine up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmudd View Post
only got one word and a smiley: NICE, oh yeah, and one comment, AS LONG AS YOU'RE HAPPY, who cares what other people say, i say way to go. and one question how hard was the disk brake conversion, i have drums front and back and want to covert to disks up front
The disc conversion was simple, its essentially all bolt on parts. You will need to do some modification to your brake hydraulic system to make them work properly, but that will be covered later. Check out Pirate's tech section for more information on brake swaps. Billavista has done a GREAT job with those articles.

Earth Resin Offroad
JohnnyU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:12 PM   #6
Jspafford
Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012

Vehicle Year: 2009
Vehicle Make: Chevy
Vehicle Model: 2500HD
I use this vehicle for: Shaming Sports Cars
Jspafford is a glorious beacon of lightJspafford is a glorious beacon of lightJspafford is a glorious beacon of lightJspafford is a glorious beacon of lightJspafford is a glorious beacon of lightJspafford is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Pony View Post
I don't care if you want to deal with crap.
Posting it here is just asking for a fight, As usual.
What do you mean by this?

I am anxious to see what the outcome looks like John.
1989 Bronco II, 2.9L, Manual Trans and T-case, Manual hubs | 2004 Tahoe Z71, 5.3L 4L60E, AutoTrac 4WD, Leather, Bose, DVD, Loaded | 2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Bed 5" MBRP Straight Pipe, EFI Live Tuned by Longhorn Fab Shop.
Jspafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:26 PM   #7
mhughes165

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: crawling over jeeps
mhughes165 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to mhughes165

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyU View Post
The axles both have 4.10's in them now. Not great, but it's better than 3.55's or anything less. My plan for now is to run them as-is just to get them under the truck. Once I have the truck rolling on the new axles and the suspension dialed in, I can start thinking about regearing. The 14FF has an open carrier but uses the "orb" method for a locker. Basically, the four spiders and the side gears were welded into a ball or "orb of traction" as seen here:

This picture is from biggervalves as I didn't take any pictures when I welded mine up.

The disc conversion was simple, its essentially all bolt on parts. You will need to do some modification to your brake hydraulic system to make them work properly, but that will be covered later. Check out Pirate's tech section for more information on brake swaps. Billavista has done a GREAT job with those articles.

the 4.10's should be plenty for most needs, i know guys runnin 38's + with 4.10's, and if u were to drop a sm465 into her, witha 205 case, then u would have a mean granny gear in it, and then ud have a pretty much bullet proof drivetrain for trucks under 40's, im a equal oppritunity offender, i build everything, aslong as it wheels it dont matter to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrucksGetDirty View Post
Its like a real fine woman with all the STDs of the world. Sexy to look at, not fun to get into.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
We don't discriminate against fags here. You like Kojak, then by gawd get some posters of balding men and wear yourself out. Just don't post pictures.
mhughes165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:36 PM   #8
Maverick
FoMoCo MoFo

Maverick will become famous soon enoughMaverick will become famous soon enough

I was wondering if you were gonna post a build for that truck here. Depending on how big of a tire you go, 4.10's wouldnt be bad if you had a doubler. Speaking of that, what are you gonna run for a t-case(s)?
78 Bronco- Just a bunch of fun.
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:47 PM   #9
JFA_Spyderman

Vehicle Year: 1969, 1994
Vehicle Model: Mustang, Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver and Weekend Warrior
JFA_Spyderman will become famous soon enough

Looking Good! I am excited to follow along.
JFA_Spyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:08 AM   #10
Bray D
2012 UA Ranger

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: quenching my thirst for adventure.
Bray D will become famous soon enoughBray D will become famous soon enough

excellent, I was gonna ask you when you were gonna start working on that baby. do you have any deadlines/dates for completion?

Petersen's 2012 Ultimate Adventure Invited Reader
Bray D is offline   Reply With Quote