Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'PlumCrazy'
October 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Ted R.'
October 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > Fullsize Trucks > Fullsize Dodge Trucks

Notices

Old 07-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
Shran

Shran will become famous soon enoughShran will become famous soon enough
Default 70's Dodge RV's

Anybody owned one of the small RVs that Dodge "built" back in the 70's? I am looking at purchasing a small camper or something...but I have no experience with Chrysler stuff other than hearing that most of the 70's stuff is shite.

I would prefer a GM or Ford RV, but these things are literally everywhere out here...are they reliable? Not for cross country stuff or anything...just out in the sticks a few times a year.
1985 F250 4x4 460/T19

Shran is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 07-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
Will
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
I use this vehicle for: a chicken house
Will has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud of

Want to buy mine? It's a '71 24' on a Dodge chassis. Interesting that I just posted this picture.

It's a 413-4v with a new Edlebrock carb and electronic ignition. It has a lot of power but I'm sure it can suck it's 60-gallons down in not much time if you drove it hard. It has roof air and a big old-style slow running Onan that will power the AC and my big tablesaw at the same time without a murmur of protest. It shucked out it's Dana 70 at some point in it's life and now has a D70HD with disc brakes, 19.5" 10-lug wheels and massive 4" diameter axle tubes with a 10,000# rating. I threw the old toilet out because it was a non functional electric flush of some type. It has a big refridgerator for an RV--about 12-ft^3. Two captains chairs with seatbelts. I haven't used it because no RV is very safe in a rollover and I'm not comfortable putting my kids in it. I've driven it around myself and it doesn't blow around at all on the interstate and is very stiff and solid and quiet. It needs some things but it would be a decent camper with a couple hours work and a couple hundred bucks--all the upholstry is nice. I'm thinking about getting a schoolbus and using the interior parts from this to convert it because I will never be able to sell this for the price of a new generator and roof air unit and big fridge, extra fuel tanks, water heater and wherever else I can salvage from this.

My other idea's were to put a roll cage in it and convert it into TRS's official hauler-

Or to make a travel trailer out of it:

Last edited by Will; 07-17-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
Simple_serf

Simple_serf is on a distinguished road

A friend had one similar to Will's. The motor was an industrial version, and parts were slightly difficult to find, although we found that the engine was simiar to a marine engine, then parts were easy to get, just expensive.

If you get one with an onan, let me know if you need help with that.

School bus is another way to go, I almost did that myself, but NYS makes it difficault to chage the designation of a vehicle (school bus vs Motorhome insurance).
Paul Johnson
KC2TOO
Simple_serf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
Shran

I'd love to have one of the big ones. My neighbors back home had one...pretty damn sweet!

Most of the ones around here look like this. It's pretty much what I'm looking for...big enough for the gf, kid and me.

1985 F250 4x4 460/T19

Old 07-17-2008, 09:10 PM   #5
tanbuddy

Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: D.D. 4 wheeling, hauling
tanbuddy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to tanbuddy Send a message via Yahoo to tanbuddy

my uncle has one just like that small one, it has the 360 in it and runs good. They seem to be reilable, he has no issus taking it on 4 hour trips.
tanbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #6
mkpecor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: ranger 4x4
Vehicle Model: super cab,st-x
I use this vehicle for: daily driver and weekend wheeler
mkpecor is on a distinguished road

i have a 79 class C 21 footer. like the one above. i got to say it has been a awsome rv. my uncle had it first then my pops got it from him and now my old man gave it to me. it has the big block 360 in it i can tow my ranger on a trailer and have no probs. the motor was rebuilt 55,000 ago, we did put pergo wood floors in it, its nice you can sweep the dirt right out the door when camping. but all in all she is awsome rig, they are fun to have.
88 ranger super cab st-x-throtle body ,cold air intake, 92 explorer D35/LS 8.8 swap, 6" SK susp..lift ,black crawler rims,33" swompers,warn lock out hubs,manual t-case swap, smitty built bumpers, rock sliders,kc lights,cb ,hi lift jack,cooler full of beer
mkpecor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:40 PM   #7
mkpecor

ps. the really nice thing about it is when you go hunting you dont have to be scared about scraching it when getting to that good hunting spot.
88 ranger super cab st-x-throtle body ,cold air intake, 92 explorer D35/LS 8.8 swap, 6" SK susp..lift ,black crawler rims,33" swompers,warn lock out hubs,manual t-case swap, smitty built bumpers, rock sliders,kc lights,cb ,hi lift jack,cooler full of beer
Old 07-17-2008, 11:31 PM   #8
Will
Super Moderator

Vehicle Model: Bronco II
I use this vehicle for: a chicken house
Will has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_serf View Post
A friend had one similar to Will's. The motor was an industrial version, and parts were slightly difficult to find, although we found that the engine was simiar to a marine engine, then parts were easy to get, just expensive.

If you get one with an onan, let me know if you need help with that.

School bus is another way to go, I almost did that myself, but NYS makes it difficault to chage the designation of a vehicle (school bus vs Motorhome insurance).
School bus in Indiana is easy. Everything in Indiana is easy.

Mine is an industrial engine. It's got a forged crank with 8-flywheel bolts instead of 6, with a heavier block with extra cooling around the exhaust ports and each head has an external water feed going to it and the exhaust manifolds are different. That's the easiest way to tell if it's an industrial motor--the bolts are staggered and there are 2 each instead of a straight line across with only 6 total bolts that a 440 would have. You can buy them brand new still. You can also buy headers new. The intake manifolds will interchange but the industrial ones have extra mounting holes for an air compressor. The ignition parts are the same--I swapped a regular M.P. electronic into mine. Later 'Bagos ceased using the industrial motors.

A 360 is not a bigblock. It's an LA like a 318/340. A 360 would push one of the big ones just fine. Many of them came with the 318 even.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:03 AM   #9
Shran

So out of curiosity. The one I'm looking at has a 440 and what I think is a 727 torqeflight. What kind of gas mileage should I expect? Obviously I know it's not going to awesome, and it's NOT a concern. Just curious

I'm looking at a '72 Dodge 22'...the guy wants around 8-900 for it, but I may trade my Nova for it. He's moving out of state and doesn't want to take it with him. Oh, and it does come with a 5000W Onan too
1985 F250 4x4 460/T19

Old 07-18-2008, 01:33 AM   #10
mkpecor

edit, [ment to say small block dont know why i said big block.] any way the best i have ever got for mpg was 15 pulling a 6x10 trailer with a 4x4 4-wheeler and some hunting gear. but its around 13-15 mpg.