Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'PlumCrazy'
October 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Ted R.'
October 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Engine & Transmission Forums > V6 Forums > 4.0 Liter Forum

Notices

Old 09-24-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
fordman49450

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
fordman49450 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to fordman49450 Send a message via Yahoo to fordman49450
Default parts list for gauge installation

Hello, I am going to be going over a friends house, he wants to install an oil pressure gauge and coolant temp gauge which both are mechanical. The only thing is I am going over there on Sunday and i want him to have everything he needs. He also wants to use the stock gauges as well, so both will have to T or Y so both the mechanical and the stock gauges can work. Can someone give me a list of materials including how many of what size pipe and fittings to do this for the coolant and oil pressure. This is a 93 ranger with a 4.0. Thanks

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 09-24-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
MAKG
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Explorer
MAKG will become famous soon enough

Umm, using a "tee" on coolant temperature will make both gauges FOS. Pressure is pressure, but temperature varies according to position. If either probe isn't immersed in flowing coolant behind the thermostat, the reading will be inaccurate.

Some engines have enough spare real estate on the lower intake that you can tap a new hole behind the thermostat. 2.9Ls, for instance. If the 4.0L does, you need a drill and tap (most aftermarket gauges use 1/4 NPT; the stock hole is 3/8 NPT -- do NOT tap it too deep as NPT threads are tapered). If there isn't a place to do that, disable the stock gauge or don't bother with the mechanical one.

For pressure, you can tee it with the caveat that there are now more fittings to leak.

1990 VW Jetta GL, 1.8L 8V gasoline engine, manual transmission, painted in oxidized red paint and ponderosa pine sap, unknown mileage.

1991 Exploder, 4.0L, M5OD-R1 manual transmission, electronic BW1354 transfer case, 3.54 gears, 31 inch tires, icky two-tone blue paint with little clear coat, 230K miles.

1972 Chevy C-10, 250 I-6, SM465 (2WD) four-on-the-floor, 3.73 gears in a GM 12-bolt, puke green with a white cab. The "4 wheeled trash can," with x70K miles. x is probably 2.
MAKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:40 PM   #3
samsonitesamsonite

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler
I use this vehicle for: Daily driver/weekend warrior
samsonitesamsonite is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to samsonitesamsonite

use brass t-fittings for the oil.
samsonitesamsonite is offline   Reply With Quote