• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1984 Ranger Gas Mileage

absolutesantaja

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi I've got a 1984 Ford Ranger 2.3l and its getting pretty crappy mileage, right now I get about 15 in the city and 19-20 on the hwy. I realize that the epa ratings for these years were a bit off but the truck is rated for 24 city and 33 hwy and I've never gotten close to that.
Here's whats been done to the truck so far, me and my dad rebuilt the engine last fall and replaced everything. When i got the truck most of the computer and emissions stuff had been destroyed so I found i non computer controlled Carter YFA carb and rebuilt it. Timing is a Duraspark II and appears to be working, I'm planning on replacing that with a new one as soon as I can. Timing is set per the label on the hood at 6* BTDC but I have also tried 10* because that's what the engine is listed for on this site. EGR is plugged off I don't even know where I could find hoses for that since they weren't on the truck when i got it. Some people say that could have some impact. It does not have a cat on it just a regular muffler and was like that when i got.
I guess i'm looking for ideas on what might be wrong. I've read some things about people replacing the carb with a Weber DFEV like the older couriers had which is an on demand 2 Barrel and might get better milage. I've replaced Cap and rotor and wires so I don't think thats it though it might be since I used really cheap wires. Coil and Ignition module haven't been touched. Sorry for the long post I just wanted to get all the details out there. If anyone has an idea let me know?

Thanks
Shawn Weeks

OldJunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984ish
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6 (Home Rebuild!) 2100 motorcraft carb
Transmission
Manual
Check the choke. had a buddy , his carter on 2.3 the choke was somehow creeping part closed as he drove. Fixed it with a manual choke, gas mpg went to 20/29.

absolutesantaja

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Forgot to mention anything about that in the first post but from what i can tell the choke is staying open just fine, the electrical choke and pull off are both brand new. I'll double check it when i get home though.

Thanks

OldJunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984ish
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6 (Home Rebuild!) 2100 motorcraft carb
Transmission
Manual
He also put the air intake duct back on and increased hwy mpg to 30.....little things that help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals