Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'MastuhWaffles'
November 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'ATX'
November 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Styling & Electrical > Exterior

Notices

Exterior Paint, graphics, fiberglass panels, fender flares, bed covers and other body bolt on's

Old 12-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
flagport

Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Project Restoration
flagport is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to flagport
Default Ranger Tailgate Repair???

I took the tailgate off my 92 Ranger for the purpose of replacing the support cables on both sides, and to tighten up the loose latch mechanism on the right side caused by previous operators letting the tailgate fall onto the cable.

Seems I had read somewhere where you could access the handle and latch mechanisms through an access port of some type. I removed the silver center piece on the outside of the gate, but found no inspection port or way to get access to the interior of the gate. I then removed the lower bolt on the left side and found that it was only held in by a washer type nut. I loosened the top bolt on that side, but still couldn't get behind the latch mechanism to inspect anything inside the gate, or get to the latch arm between the latch and the opening handle.

Is there some trick or secret to gaining access to the interior of the tailgate where you can repair or replace some the opening/latching mechanism?

Tried a search, but little on tailgate repair.

Thanks for any advice.

Ron
flagport is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 12-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
86_cookiemonster
November '08 STOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: driving and having fun
86_cookiemonster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagport View Post
I took the tailgate off my 92 Ranger for the purpose of replacing the support cables on both sides, and to tighten up the loose latch mechanism on the right side caused by previous operators letting the tailgate fall onto the cable.

Seems I had read somewhere where you could access the handle and latch mechanisms through an access port of some type. I removed the silver center piece on the outside of the gate, but found no inspection port or way to get access to the interior of the gate. I then removed the lower bolt on the left side and found that it was only held in by a washer type nut. I loosened the top bolt on that side, but still couldn't get behind the latch mechanism to inspect anything inside the gate, or get to the latch arm between the latch and the opening handle.

Is there some trick or secret to gaining access to the interior of the tailgate where you can repair or replace some the opening/latching mechanism?

Tried a search, but little on tailgate repair.

Thanks for any advice.

Ron
I just took my latch out so I hope i can help you. There isn't an access panel that you can get into it to work on it, while it is in the tailgate.

What you need to do is take the latch out. There are three bolts right behind the latch on the backside of the tailgate. You take those out. Then what i did sense i replaced the entire latch, was on either side of the tailgate there are latches that actually hold it up i took the bolts out of them to give me slack in the metal rods that link them to the latch. That allowed me to disconnect the rods from the latch and slide it out.

I will try to get some pics on line about what I am talking about it will make this a lot easier to explain.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850478

Rebuilt the body,
Custom paint job,
Custom exhuast,
Spent hours with my father and lived :-D
86_cookiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
flagport

Cookiemonster,

Thanks for the quick reply, and would appreciate any pics that you may have of the operation.

It appears that you have to take all the bolts out (an upper and a lower in each end latch, and three in the center opening handle-seven in all). This then allows you enough slack in either side to disengage one of the two rods linking the handle to the latches, which then allows you to pull center guts out thru the opposite latch hole.

If this is the case, then I guess I didn't go far enough in the disassembly process, but got worried about how everything would get hooked back up, especially the alignment of the the center pull handle with its bolt holes in order to reattach the bolts. Did you have any problem getting everything to line back up again?

I've seen an overhaul or tailgate component kit in the LMC truck catalog, so assume all these gut parts are replaceable.

Thanks again for the reply. I'm going to take the other six bolts out tonight and see what I end up with. May be further questions tomorrow.

Ron
Old 12-12-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
KELLY88

Vehicle Year: 1997, 2005
Vehicle Model: Ranger STX, Ranger Edge
I use this vehicle for: Offroader, Daily Driver
KELLY88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to KELLY88

Hey cool you're in Cocoa, that's pretty close. Good luck with the latch. They can be daunting sometimes but shouldn't be too difficult.
KELLY88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
flagport

Thanks Kelly, and hello neighbor. Appreciate the support. I'm a noobie at this mechanical stuff, but with a new awsome shop and wanting to learn...with a little help from my friends on TRS from time to time.

Have a great weekend.

Ron
Old 12-14-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
86_cookiemonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagport View Post
Cookiemonster,

Thanks for the quick reply, and would appreciate any pics that you may have of the operation.

It appears that you have to take all the bolts out (an upper and a lower in each end latch, and three in the center opening handle-seven in all). This then allows you enough slack in either side to disengage one of the two rods linking the handle to the latches, which then allows you to pull center guts out thru the opposite latch hole.

If this is the case, then I guess I didn't go far enough in the disassembly process, but got worried about how everything would get hooked back up, especially the alignment of the the center pull handle with its bolt holes in order to reattach the bolts. Did you have any problem getting everything to line back up again?

I've seen an overhaul or tailgate component kit in the LMC truck catalog, so assume all these gut parts are replaceable.

Thanks again for the reply. I'm going to take the other six bolts out tonight and see what I end up with. May be further questions tomorrow.

Ron
Realignment was not too hard, I am sorry to say that I do not know if i still have the pictures. One of our computer's hard drives crashed, taking a lot of my pics with it. I think they might still be on the camera but i can't find that either. I apologize,

Rebuilt the body,
Custom paint job,
Custom exhuast,
Old 12-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #7
rangerbum

Vehicle Year: 85
Vehicle Model: BroncoII
I use this vehicle for: Leaving me stranded, broke, and madder than you can imagine.
rangerbum is just really nicerangerbum is just really nicerangerbum is just really nicerangerbum is just really nice

Hmmm... My tailgate does have an access port. When you open the tailgate, and its hanging by the cables, the port faces up. It should be a rectangular panel with something like 8 sheet metal screws holding it on. Once open, you will see 2 long rods that go to each side mechanism, held together in the middle by a latch that pulls each one in when you lift the handle.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:24 AM   #8
86_cookiemonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerbum View Post
Hmmm... My tailgate does have an access port. When you open the tailgate, and its hanging by the cables, the port faces up. It should be a rectangular panel with something like 8 sheet metal screws holding it on. Once open, you will see 2 long rods that go to each side mechanism, held together in the middle by a latch that pulls each one in when you lift the handle.
the latch sounds the same as what i took out of my 86. You wouldn't be able to get pics for him would you?

Rebuilt the body,
Custom paint job,
Custom exhuast,
Old 12-16-2008, 12:02 AM   #9
rangerbum

I use this vehicle for: Leaving me stranded, broke, and madder than you can imagine.
rangerbum is just really nicerangerbum is just really nicerangerbum is just really nicerangerbum is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86_cookiemonster View Post
the latch sounds the same as what i took out of my 86. You wouldn't be able to get pics for him would you?
I'll see if I can snap some tomorrow with my moms camera. I am a cheap SOB and still havent bought my own digital camera.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
rangerbum

I didnt get too much detail in my pix, but here they are:

Circled in red is the panel that you'll need to remove from the tailgate. In the last pic you can see the mechanism that will need adjusting. Btw, If your tailgate is just not staying up, the latch may just be sticking. Before you adjust anything, just spray some graphite on there and it should work smoothly.