Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Suspension & Armor > Extreme Suspensions

Extreme Suspensions Non bolt-on suspension swaps. 3 & 4 links, eliptical, and other custom suspensions. Forum sponsored by Ruff Stuff Specialties

Old 02-23-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
Jim Oaks
Building another truck

Vehicle Year: 1983 & 1996
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Dedicated trail rig!
My credo: Happy wife, happy life.
Jim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow SAS Front Spring Height Samples

Here's a link to the page:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...t_samples.html

I assembled some photos from the site of trucks with solid axle swaps.

All these axles are either Dana 30, 44 or 60. We didn't go in to detail on the build since our only goal is to show height comparisons.

- Front Coil Springs -

This 1993 Ford Ranger belongs to forum member Brendank69. It uses a Cage Off-Road Solid Axle Swap Radius Arm kit, Ballistic Fabrication coil mounts, BC Bronco 5.5-Inch early Bronco coil springs, Skyjacker 6-inch Ranger rear springs, Belltech extended shackles, 3-inch body lift, and 38.5" tires.

This 1997 Ford Ranger belongs to forum member wahlstrom1. It uses 7-inch Skyjacker early Bronco front coils, 5.5-inch Chevy rear leafs, Belltech 6400 shackles, and 35" BFG Krawlers.

- Front Leaf Springs -

This Ranger belongs to forum member DieselSmoke. As you can see, the truck is a rolling chassis and far from finished. It's shown here on 36" tires so it can be moved during the build. The front uses 6-inch lift Chevy leaf springs. Rear springs are 63-inch Chevy springs as well. Truck has a 3-inch body lift.

This Ranger belongs to forum member JunkYardRanger. It uses 6-inch Chevy springs in the front. The rears are from a 1977 Ford F-250. The Ranger also has a 3-inch body lift and 38" tires.

This 1993 Ford Ranger belongs to forum member sabor6. It uses 4-inch ProComp YJ leaf springs in front, F-150 leaf springs in back with a 4-inch block. Tires are 38x15.50x15 TSL Radials.

We could use some other examples, especially on the 1998 and newer Rangers.

Vote For TRS In Top 4x4 Sites

Last edited by Jim Oaks; 02-23-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Jim Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 02-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
KELLY88

Vehicle Year: 1997, 2005
Vehicle Model: Ranger STX, Ranger Edge
I use this vehicle for: Offroader, Daily Driver
KELLY88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to KELLY88

This guy is not a member on here I don't think but he SAS'd his 2002 Ranger. Wrote a pretty good log of the project as well.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/25
KELLY88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
JohnnyU
"Outlaw"

Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle Make: Chevrolet
Vehicle Model: Trailblazer SS
JohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyU has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that's very important to remember is the coil bucket that's used. If the factory buckets are used, things remain equal. When someone uses an aftermarket coil bucket (like Ballistic Fabrication's), things start changing because of the variables in mounting locations. Just a helpful tip.

Earth Resin Offroad
JohnnyU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
wahlstrom1
J-man HD Mech

wahlstrom1 is a jewel in the roughwahlstrom1 is a jewel in the roughwahlstrom1 is a jewel in the roughwahlstrom1 is a jewel in the rough

****I also have the factory rear block.*** It's a little un-neccessary as I have a lot of rake, but I thought I'd just let ya know for accuracy. Here's a better pic, if you wanna add it. This is with the winch mounted up front as well.

-andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle M. View Post
LOL, wheres the loony bin, cuz we be crazay

Last edited by wahlstrom1; 02-24-2009 at 04:56 PM.
wahlstrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
triumphrider-1

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Pondering
triumphrider-1 is a jewel in the roughtriumphrider-1 is a jewel in the roughtriumphrider-1 is a jewel in the roughtriumphrider-1 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELLY88 View Post
This guy is not a member on here I don't think but he SAS'd his 2002 Ranger. Wrote a pretty good log of the project as well.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/25
Thanks for posting that, I can use that.

"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open" - Anna Pavlova
triumphrider-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
Bray D
2012 UA Ranger

Vehicle Year: 1996
I use this vehicle for: DD/Weekend Warrior
Bray D will become famous soon enoughBray D will become famous soon enough

Here's my SAS'd ranger with WildHorses4x4's 3.5" lift EB coils. I bought them used, so they're aleady broken in. You can check my build thread to see how the full size buckets are mounted, but I'd say they're within 1" of the stock bucket height.

For reference, I've got "un-bastardized" 63" chevy leaves in the rear (includes OL leaf), with the 6400 shackles and stock blocks.

after trimming my bumper a bit, and the rear of the fender (from the body line down), the tires clear pretty good. Brand new 35" SSR's

EDIT: saw that litlebigfoot posted up ground to truck height specs, thought this was a good idea. My truck is 23.5" from the ground to the bottom of frame right in the center of the truck. 24" is max legal frame height

Last edited by Bray D; 04-29-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Bray D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
LittleBigFoot

Vehicle Year: 79-00
Vehicle Make: Mostly Ford.
Vehicle Model: Rangerish-Broncoish-Truggyish Thing.
I use this vehicle for: The 13th step of the 12 step program.
LittleBigFoot is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to LittleBigFoot Send a message via MSN to LittleBigFoot

I used 52" long leaves from the rear of a 3/4 ton 2wd Chebby. 3 shorts pulled from the pack. 3" comes from the crossmember design, then there's belltech shackles, and hangers that give about 1.5". SOA

Sorry it's rotated. I'm doin this from my girlfrind's computer.

The bottom of the chassis measures 33" in the front.

Under the rocker pannel right behind the wheelwell measures 32". (This is with a 3" body lift and 35" tires)

LIFT HEIGHT: Total lift comes to about 12" suspension + 3" body.

Now before you call me retarded, my stance is also 15" wider, so I kept it to a 1 to 1 ratio height to width.

Attached Images

Last edited by Jim Oaks; 06-29-2009 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Rotated image
LittleBigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
Ranger99OR

Vehicle Year: 1999
Ranger99OR is on a distinguished road
Default 99 Ranger SAS help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bray D View Post
Here's my SAS'd ranger with WildHorses4x4's 3.5" lift EB coils. I bought them used, so they're aleady broken in. You can check my build thread to see how the full size buckets are mounted, but I'd say they're within 1" of the stock bucket height.

For reference, I've got "un-bastardized" 63" chevy leaves in the rear (includes OL leaf), with the 6400 shackles and stock blocks.

after trimming my bumper a bit, and the rear of the fender (from the body line down), the tires clear pretty good. Brand new 35" SSR's

EDIT: saw that litlebigfoot posted up ground to truck height specs, thought this was a good idea. My truck is 23.5" from the ground to the bottom of frame right in the center of the truck. 24" is max legal frame height
I love this Ranger, single cab sas. Real clean truck. What mount setups and suspension setups did you use, I am planning on doing a dana 44/Ford 9 inch and I was wondering how hard it was to fab up mounts...
Ranger99OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #9
Bray D
2012 UA Ranger

Vehicle Year: 1996
I use this vehicle for: DD/Weekend Warrior
Bray D will become famous soon enoughBray D will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger99OR View Post
I love this Ranger, single cab sas. Real clean truck. What mount setups and suspension setups did you use, I am planning on doing a dana 44/Ford 9 inch and I was wondering how hard it was to fab up mounts...
The truck is not so clean anymore. The SAS brought me over to the darkside.

I ended up having to fab or modify EVERY SINGLE BRACKET. Even the stuff I thought would be a simple bolt on - like the f250 shock towers. It took a lot of work, but well worth it.

Build Thread
Old 03-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
Str8sixfan

Vehicle Year: 1997
I use this vehicle for: trying to get good gas mileage but not
Str8sixfan is on a distinguished road

Anyone use Ranger TTB lift springs in conjunction with a SAS? I found these on craigslist:

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pts/2888756397.html

Seems like a decent deal, but not sure how they'll set with a D30.
Str8sixfan is offline   Reply With Quote