• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to change fan clutch?

Ger42

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a new fan clutch trying to get the old one off. How do I stop the water pump pulley from moving? Instruction say to use a wrench between the bolts but the bolts holding the pulley cannot be reached.
[/IMG]

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
leaving the serp belt on will help to keep tension on the pulley and keep it from turning so freely, and i usually use a hammer and hit the wrench to break it loose the fan loose.
Beef

Ger42

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
leaving the serp belt on will help to keep tension on the pulley and keep it from turning so freely, and i usually use a hammer and hit the wrench to break it loose the fan loose.
Beef
How long a wrench do you have? I don't think the one I have is long enough to be able to hit it.

rustybolt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had to change out the fan clutch last year and I ran into the same problem. Believe it or not, I was able to grab on just behind the water pump pulley with a pair of channel locks from the top side of the engine. Looking at your picture above, there a disk just between the belt pulley and water pump. Put the channel locks there and hold with your left hand then use a large adjustable wrench to loosen up the fan clutch mounting stud. I also had to use a larger channel lock tool to get on the disk behind the belt pulley, FYI...

BeaterMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 4.6, 5.0
Transmission
Manual

this tool here helps alot. You use it with an air hammer and saves alot of headaces. make sure you are trying to loosen it the correct way, some are reverse thread and loosen to the right. good luck.

wvcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I used a pipe wrench on the hub on the water pump

Ger42

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's ON!!
Just had to loosen up all 4 bolts slide the tool in back of the pulley put the 7/8 wrench on the clutch and hit it 6 or 7 times.

First try today resulted in..
[/IMG]

Ranger Rod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 vulcan
Transmission
Automatic
When I changed out my water pump last summer, i wedged a big ass screw driver between two of the four bolts that fasten the pully to the pump (behind waterpump spindle where bolt threads run out the other side), wrench on fan spindle and cranked.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals