• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 not engaging

Bigcraig05

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have a 99 ranger 3.0 auto 4x4 and it isnt engaging into 4x4. the light are blinking. I checked all the fuses as well as the motor. I hooked it strait to a 12v source, worked fine. Anyone have any other ideas what could be wrong. Also i dont have the owners manual and dont know where the relay is for the tcase. any help is much appreciated.

O btw the 4x4 worked before i rebuilt the tranny. But then the truck sat for about 3 months.

DOZER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
if all of your wiring is good and nothing is pinched between the bell housing or t-case, then try removing the shift motor, and use a good sized flat screwdriver to manually shift it into 4x4 if all is well there, then it may be your shift motor is getting weak.

Bigcraig05

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok i will try that thanks.

SoCo/Firefighter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L V6
Transmission
Manual
did it work? and where would i put the screw driver to manually swith it into 4x4 and does it stay locked in 4 wheel drive?

Bigcraig05

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yea it did work. You have to remove the shift motor to get to the triangle looking thing. then u can use a screwdriver to manually shift it. Found out was a bad motor..

SoCo/Firefighter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L V6
Transmission
Manual
ok. where is the shift motor located...pics? and can i leave it off, is it protected?

Bigcraig05

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I dont have pics but it is very easy to get to. It is on the backside of the transfer case and i think it was 4 bolts and one connector. you have to remove one pin in the connector but that is easy to do. think it would be ok to run without the motor on.

Bigcraig05

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yea it is pretty rusted up. I took it apart and cleaned everything. now it says that is is going into 4hi n 4low but i know it really isnt. Now im lost. lol

diverd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Im having the same problem with my 99. Both 4x4 lights flash all the time motor checks out good when I apply voltage directly to it, but there is no voltage on transfer case motor connector under the truck. I have check all of the fuses in the cab but Im not sure where to look next. If you find something let me know.

Thanks

Bigcraig05

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That was a good post. But that didnt fix my problem. hmm anyone else have any ideas?

joecool85

Reaction score
That was a good post. But that didnt fix my problem. hmm anyone else have any ideas?
Sounds like this:

There are six finger-like contacts on the cover that are stationary, and by a series of open/closed circuits, the computer can tell where the selector shaft is pointing. This is pretty important because of the computer has to tell the motor when to start and stop. If the computer doesn't know what position it is in, it will default to a fail-safe mode of doing nothing except blinking the lights to let you know it is confused and lost. The six contacts might be a little corroded (mine were), so I took a piece of super-fine sandpaper (600 grit) and cleaned off the corrosion on the ends where they ride against the large gear. I also gave them a slight bend up so that they would have even more spring force pushing them against the gear.

That was from 1/4 the way down on that linked post.

Bigcraig05

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yea i saw that. mine doesnt have those same contacts. mine is in a sealed piece which you cant tamper with...

firsttime4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No power to front wheels

Hi i'm having the same problem with my 4wd but my thing is both 4hi and 4lo lights come on, I can hear switching going on in the transfer case and when the 4hi is engaged while driving I can hear a humming sound which leads me to believe that it is the front drive shaft but I still have no power going to the front wheels. I am somewhat confident it is my hubs but I'm not 100% positive. I'm pretty new to 4wd and I just bought this 94 ranger 3.0 auto lock hubs and push button engagement for 1200 as a project truck but need help. Any help would be great.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals