Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Styling & Electrical > Misc Electrical & Gauges

Misc Electrical & Gauges Post your speedometer, gauges, interior and non audio/video questions here.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
fatt_owl2.9

Location: the salton trough, lower colorado desert, CA/sometimes the Inland Empire.
Vehicle Year: 87
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: puttering around the countryside
fatt_owl2.9 is on a distinguished road
Default aftermarket temp gauge problem

the previous owner of my truck installed Sunpro coolant temp and oil pressure gauges. They're in a neat little pod under the dash right in front of the shifter boot. They've always worked great, but a couple weeks ago the temp gauge just stopped working. I thought maybe it was an issue with the thermostat. So I replaced the thermostat, and that didn't fix it. The oil pressure gauge still works fine, so the only thing I can deduct is there's an issue with the sending unit for the temp gauge. I live in Palm Springs, CA and brutal heat is upon us, I really don't want to be without my temp gauge. Do any of you guys have a lot of experience with Sunpro gauges? Or any idea what could be causing this? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-the fat owl

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 05-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
fordwheelinman

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: Explorer 4 door
I use this vehicle for: DD
fordwheelinman is on a distinguished road

does the dash gauge not work?
fordwheelinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
AllanD
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1987... sorta
Vehicle Model: Ranger Supercab
I use this vehicle for: Roadtrip Warrior
AllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to behold

Those little sunpro and autoguage sets of mini-guages typically have
MECHANICAL temp and pressure guages and the temp guages is driven
by a capillary tube that runs to a mechanical sensor on the engine.

If the fluid leaks out it's dead, and dead forever...

I just robbed the pressure guage out of one of those mini guage sets

some idiot CUT the sealed tube for the temp guage.

AD
AllanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
fatt_owl2.9

Location: the salton trough, lower colorado desert, CA/sometimes the Inland Empire.

yes the original factory temp gauge still works, which is certainly better than nothing. But I got so used to my other gauge, and felt it was a better indicator of my engine's temperature.

The sending unit for the gauge was hacked into my upper radiator hose, and I can't understand how a loss of coolant could cause the sender to take a dump. So do they offer spare parts, do you think I could get a new sender and see if that works? I suppose I could contact Sunpro and see what they think....
Old 05-09-2009, 10:57 PM   #5
93Ranger4x4

Vehicle Year: 93, 96
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Just about everything
93Ranger4x4 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 93Ranger4x4

wait wait wait, its "hacked" into your upper radiator hose???
If i were you, i would just goto an auto parts store and pick up a new temp gauge, and find where your factory coolant sending unit is, drain your coolant, remove the factory sending unit, and put one of the adapters in there, run your tube the same way it was ran before, and thread it into the adapter and you should be good to go. I just recently did this myself, still tryin to get the oil pressure gauge hooked up(Ford picked a wonderful spot to put that bad boy >:( ).

96 Ranger 4.0 5spd 4wd stock for now...(Project: Purple Haze)

01 Ford F-350 4x4 7.3l powerstroke

Last edited by 93Ranger4x4; 05-09-2009 at 11:01 PM.
93Ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
fatt_owl2.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Ranger4x4 View Post
If i were you, i would just goto an auto parts store and pick up a new temp gauge, and find where your factory coolant sending unit is, drain your coolant, remove the factory sending unit, and put one of the adapters in there, run your tube the same way it was ran before, and thread it into the adapter and you should be good to go. I just recently did this myself, still tryin to get the oil pressure gauge hooked up(Ford picked a wonderful spot to put that bad boy >:( ).
lol no I didn't hack it, the previous owner did. So I can get a new sunpro gauge, get an adapter, and run it out of the factory temp sending unit? I'm kinda confused...
Old 05-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
Jspafford
Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012

Vehicle Year: 2009
Vehicle Make: Chevy
Vehicle Model: 2500HD
I use this vehicle for: Shaming Sports Cars
Jspafford is a glorious beacon of lightJspafford is a glorious beacon of lightJspafford is a glorious beacon of lightJspafford is a glorious beacon of lightJspafford is a glorious beacon of lightJspafford is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Ranger4x4 View Post
I put a T in for the oil PSI guage, but just disconnected the temp sensor. My oil guage still works in the dash, but the temp is always on cold.

Best investment yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatt_owl2.9 View Post
lol no I didn't hack it, the previous owner did. So I can get a new sunpro gauge, get an adapter, and run it out of the factory temp sending unit? I'm kinda confused...
You can disconnect the sending unit for the factory sensor. The guage in the dash will read cold, but the computer uses another sensor to actually read off of. There is a dedicated sending unit for the guage only.

Unthread it from the block, thread in your new sending unit attached to the guage and voila.
1989 Bronco II, 2.9L, Manual Trans and T-case, Manual hubs | 2004 Tahoe Z71, 5.3L 4L60E, AutoTrac 4WD, Leather, Bose, DVD, Loaded | 2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Bed 5" MBRP Straight Pipe, EFI Live Tuned by Longhorn Fab Shop.
Jspafford is offline   Reply With Quote