• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Question about locker...

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I know most of you would probably say to upgrade to an 8.8 rear axle but I see no point. I'd like to keep what my truck came with under it and just upgrade what I have. I recently purchased some 4.56 gears for my front D35 and next time I get paid i'm going to get the 4.56's for the rear and the install kits and what not. Then hopefully the next time I get paid after that I will purchase the Powertrax Lock-Right for the front. I would like to get the Powertrax Lock-Right for the rear aswell because it's cheaper than the Detriot. The only problem I see is that it says 4.10 and down only. I have never understand gear ratios all too well. I am assuming by 4.10 and down it would be 3.73, 3.55, 3.54, etc and it wouldn't work with my rear end. Am I correct in my presumption? If so, what other lockers are out there for the Ford 7.5 rear axle? I looked for Aussie but they only show a locker for the D35. Any help is much appreciated!

nooberiffic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I dont think power trax makes lockers for your gear ratio. Im pretty sure detriot does though.
BTW, I know someone in Sanford. (used to live in Fayetteville)

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Where abouts you at now?

nooberiffic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wyoming.
I lived in Fayetteville for four and a half years. My friend knew the owner of a bar up there (I think it was called local joes).

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
THE reason for the issue with fitting a LockRight into a 7.5 with >4.10 gears is that the ring gear gets thicker as the ratio increases.

There is aleady difficulty installing the parts inside the carrier because the rign gear blocks the "window" in the carrier.

MOST people talk about swapping to the 8.8" because it's stronger,
but the reality is that just as many do it because it's so much EASIER to work on.

That's why I originally swapped to an 8.8"

I run a T-L and repacking the clutches in the Limited slip is an hours
worth of work on an 8.8"

Doing EXACTLY the same job on a 7.5" with either 3.73 or 4.10 gears is an all day job.

The carrier must come completely out of the axle AND the ring gear off the
carrier to do ANY work on the axle pinions or clutches...

This is not the case on an 8.8" with any gears <4.56

AD

colinrmitchell

Feels good, man.
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm in the same situation you are. I installed 4.56 gears in my 7.5", with a previously installed Lock-Rite, and the stock 3.73 gears. It was even a pain in the butt to install the Lock-Rite with the 3.73s.

I read on here from several people that you can grind down the ring gear teeth so that the pin can slide in and out of the carrier easily. I did this on my truck, and so far have had no problems. I felt really uneasy about it but it seems to be holding up fine. It's really the only option to have the Lock-Rite with the deeper gears, due to the C-clips retaining the axles.

I didn't research it, but it if they offer a C-clip eliminator kit of some kind, that might eliminate the need to grind the gear. But I'm not entirely sure.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I appreciate the help so far guys. Allan, i'm not going to turn this thing into a rock-crawler or anything, I will be using it for trails and such in my area and up in Uwharrie with a buddy. I'm pretty sure I will be fine for trails, what do you think? I guess i'm just going to have to save up some dough to get me a Detriot to go with my Yukons. Here's another question: If I run a Detriot locker in the rear, is it ok to run the Lock-Right in the front? It may seem like a dumb question but i'm looking for clarification. By the way, i'm leaving it at stock height on 31's and I may put larger tires on it down the road with a body lift. I'd like to set my axles up before it looks like a "prettified" mall crawler. Function over fashion FTW!

Last edited:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
You can use any combination of lockers, LSDs or open that you like. I don't know If I'd spend the money on a Detroit for the 7.5.. And yes any gear 3.73 or numerically higher the ring gear tooth in the way of the crosspin will have to be ground down to use the lock-right. This wont hurt it at all.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyony actually used a Detriot in there rear? Would it be ok to run the Detriot rear and the Lock-Right in the front? What is so prone to breakage on the 7.5 other than the pinion that you guys are so worried about?

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
yes you can run a detroit rear and lock right front

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
BlazedB2 on B2.org is the only person I'm aware of with a Detroit in the 7.5. The cross-pin is a weak point (not a problem with a Detroit), I broke mine with a Lock-right, 4.0, 4.10s and 33s and a lot of people break them in stock trucks too. After that is the gears themselves, plenty of people have grenaded 7.5 gear-sets and 4.56s will make it that much easier. Even a 28 spline Ranger 8.8 swap is a good upgrade over the 7.5 and it bolts in...

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
BlazedB2 on B2.org is the only person I'm aware of with a Detroit in the 7.5. The cross-pin is a weak point (not a problem with a Detroit), I broke mine with a Lock-right, 4.0, 4.10s and 33s and a lot of people break them in stock trucks too. After that is the gears themselves, plenty of people have grenaded 7.5 gear-sets and 4.56s will make it that much easier. Even a 28 spline Ranger 8.8 swap is a good upgrade over the 7.5 and it bolts in...
This is my daily driver so i'm not going to beat the crap out of it on trails. Do you think it will be that big of an issue only being a weekend wheeler? I would switch to an 8.8, but i've already completely done the brakes on the rear not even 5,000 miles ago. The only thing I didn't replace was the backing plates.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Brakes from a 7.5 will swap to a ranger 8.8, I'd do the swap... Oh, and I've go detroits front and rear love them.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What I don't understand is that my ranger has the 10" drums instead of the 9" but I still have the "weaker" 7.5. Ford never ceases to amaze me...So all the hardware, parking brake cable, shoes, drums, and wheel cylinders all switch over to the 8.8? I spent around $200 for everything and i'd hate to have to buy new shit again.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Yup, backing plates etc all swap over. Lil secret too, the axle shafts are the same too! Just the carrier (weak!) is different...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals