|Home||Ford Ranger Forum||Tech Articles||Other Articles||Featured Rangers||Readers Rangers||Classifieds||Shirts & Decals||Parts Store|
|08-11-2009, 09:12 AM||#1|
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Sport Trac
I use this vehicle for: Daily DriverRep Power: 45
Catalytic Converter Removal
Removing the catalytic converter(s) is illegal. Regardless of the emissions laws in your particular state, it is against Federal law. The Ranger Station does not endorse or recommend removing the catalytic converter. Threads or posts advising removal of the catalytic converter may be locked or removed.
1. It is against the law.
2. The engine computer is set up to run with the cat, so if you remove it you may get a CEL, code, whatever, and that can mess up other things that the computer controls.
3. The only way it may be even remotely legal to remove it would be on an off-road-only vehicle that is never driven on public roads.
4. If you want it loud, it is perfectly okay to remove the muffler and resonator (if so equipped) and run a straight pipe behind the catalytic converter.
5. There are legal high-flow cats available.
6. Frankly, modern catalytic converters aren't very restrictive anyway due to gas mileage concerns.
'08 Sport Trac, custom 2.5" single exhaust with Flowmaster DBX muffler, K&N, Firestone Destination A/T's, Truxxx 2.5"/1.5" strut lift.
Last edited by JohnnyO; 10-15-2009 at 09:57 AM.
|01-05-2017, 10:40 PM||#2|
The Vengeful One
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island, New York
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: RANGER
I use this vehicle for: pissing my neighbors offRep Power: 10
For all those living in New York
New York has adopted California emission standards. Meaning catalytic converters have to be carb certified. You will fail a visual inspection if you replace your converter with one that's not carb certified. This includes the magnaflow universal ones. They have to state carb certified on the case.
1988 RANGER. Built 355 SBC. TH700R4. 3:73 Gears. BlackWidow Clone
1990 RANGER. Mild 1969 302. M5oDR2. Weekend warrior
2002 Dakota 5.9 R/T QUAD CAB. for work and play....... well mostly play
1962 CHEVY IMPALA SS CONVERTIBLE