Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'MastuhWaffles'
November 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'ATX'
November 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Engine & Transmission Forums > V6 Forums > 3.0 Liter Forum

Notices

Old 09-18-2009, 02:14 AM   #1
rickyrockrat

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Mostly driving dirt roads
rickyrockrat is on a distinguished road
Default Coolant leak between engine and transmission

Hello,

I have a 2000 Ford ranger 3.0L manual. There is coolant pooling under the truck and it appears to be coming from between the engine and transmission. Best guess is a leaking freeze plug. Is this reasonable? If so, what is it going to take to fix it and is this something that can be done in the driveway without yanking the motor and tranny out of the truck.

Thanks.

Rick
rickyrockrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 09-18-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
martin

Vehicle Year: 1984 1991
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: b2 explorer
martin is just really nicemartin is just really nicemartin is just really nicemartin is just really nice

Are you sure it's not a leaking heater core, the pool on the ground would be in a similar place?
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
oldfordman

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Ranger
Vehicle Model: XLT Off Road
oldfordman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
Are you sure it's not a leaking heater core, the pool on the ground would be in a similar place?
If it were a leaking heater core, chances are there would be fluid on the floor on the passenger side, and you would smell/taste the antifreeze, especially when you use the defrosters. As memory serves, there are 2 or 3 freeze out plugs on the back of the block. And, sorry to say, you need to pull the trans or engine to get to them. A real PIA, so confirm that is the problem before you get that deep into the project. On the 3.0, there is also another hidden one behind the P/S pump. Many years ago, the manufacturers used brass plugs that did not corrode and leak after only 8 years or so. But they had to save a buck or two per car, and started using steel plugs, which will corrode, especially if the antifreeze is not changed on a routine basis. So, the 2 dollar saving puts a much larger expense/problem onto us poor folk who try to keep our vehicles a long time. FYI- Freeze plugs are not there to prevent the block from freezing and cracking, they are from the casting process)
oldfordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
TomB1269

Vehicle Year: 2002, 2005, & 2
Vehicle Make: All Fords
Vehicle Model: Ranger Edge '02, Freestar '06 & The newest '05 F150 FX4 SCrew
I use this vehicle for: Original Daily Driver/New DD
TomB1269 is on a distinguished road

There are 2 on the back of the block, take a look at the 3.0 rebuild page in the Tech library and you will see right were they are.
TomB1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
oldfordman

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Ranger
Vehicle Model: XLT Off Road
oldfordman is on a distinguished road

Another thing to check on- the 3.0 engine also has a freeze out plug on the end of the heads. On the left side (driver's side) it is in the front, behind the P/S pump bracket. But on the right, passsenger side, it is in the back in front of the firewall. If that one is leaking, it could be following down along the back of the engine, so it looks like it is coming from between the engine and trans. If you use an inspection mirror, you can see it. If it is leakiing, it is possible to change w/o removing the head, but it's a tight fit. There is not enough room to tap a new back into place, but my local mechanic says he replaces them with a good metal replacement plug that has an expansion bolt in it- NOT the cheap rubber versions. There is just enough room back there to swing a small wrench and tighten it up.
oldfordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #6
rickyrockrat

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Mostly driving dirt roads
rickyrockrat is on a distinguished road
Question Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I have been on the road at meetings for a while. For some reason the problem has gone away and not reappeared. The fluid wasn't oil and I am not sure now exactly what the hell it was at this point. I pressurized the cooling system for about two hours to 16 psi and nothing showed up and if it shows up again I will try that again. Weird.
rickyrockrat is offline   Reply With Quote