• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2005 2WD - Bearing is Grinding - DIY Help?

MojoX

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I just registered and will apologize in advance if I'm in the wrong area.

My 2WD 2K5 Ranger now makes a grinding sound on the driver side. It is worse when I use the brakes, but is constant otherwise. I can only imagine it's the bearing.

How difficult is it to do this myself? I have average skill. Probably below average for those in this forum. Suggestions?

MojoX

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That does indeed look relatively simple.

Question 1 - should I have been repacking these with grease?
Question 2 - if it's already grinding, then it is already toast and needs to be replaced?
Question 3 - do I see TWO front wheel bearings??

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If its grinding it's a fair bet that one or both of the bearings is toast. I believe there is a detailed guide to changing them in the tech library.

'95 ranger

09/2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005, 1989, 200
Make / Model
Subaru, FORD
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3, 4.OH
Transmission
Manual
That does indeed look relatively simple.

Question 1 - should I have been repacking these with grease?
Question 2 - if it's already grinding, then it is already toast and needs to be replaced?
Question 3 - do I see TWO front wheel bearings??
Answer 1 - if you took your brake rotor off and cleaned the bearing but didn't put any grease back in you are an idiot, also fill the inside of the rotor with grease

Answer 2 - yes

Answer 3 - yes, one large one on the inside and a smaller on the outside

Hawker

Reaction score
MojoX: I don't think you're an idiot, and embarassing that someone would strart throwing words like that around but especially in responding to a new member asking a question. Internet seems to have brought the rudest of our society out and made them worse.

Sure sounds like a bearing but have had brake pads come loose and do some similar things. Checking both shouldn't be beyond your abilities so give it a good look-see with the wheel off. I'm sure you know the usual safety precautions about not getting near it without being up on secure stands, etc.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If its constant but gets worse with breaking I'd be looking for something rubbing on the side of the rotor. a spring clip or a stone or something to that effect. I worked in the dealership and saw that exact complaint with something caught in the brakes and rubbing the rotor edge a lot. If you did have it apart and didn't put any grease back in then you need to do that ASAP, you aren't an idiot, its just a beginners mistake. I have gotten away with just throwing my own bearings back in without cleaning or repacking and not had any trouble. Also be sure you don't over tighten the bearings. Spin the wheels to the left as you torque down on the retainer nut, but make sure the wheel can still spin freely. Over tight bearings make noise. A loose bearing will never wear out.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I agree with the others. no need to be rude. I did the same thing on my 99 2wd it looks just like what you have. I am of average skills. I had to change the upper control arm at the same time I think the whole thing took me 2 hours. from my memory i think the torque on mine was 25 then back off a full turn and the 20. make sure you use the high temp grease for disk brakes. lean off the rotors with brake cleaner. you might want to consider at least replacing the pads while you are at it( you will have to do the pads on the other side also)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals