Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Kona'
June 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Dazzlin' Dave'
June 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:54 AM   #1
WJC97

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger Supercab 2.3
WJC97 is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel filler hose repair

Just bought my friend's 97 Ranger, and took it out for a fillup last night. Dumped fuel all over the ground at fill-up, and I see there is a longstanding problem with crap fuel hose on Rangers (I know from experience Ford will let problems fester for 10+ years before fixing them ).

My question is: Is there any creative solution to this besides buying the new neck assembly? For example, does anyone make a fuel-resistant flex hose that I could clamp to the necks?

Also, if I do have to buy the new neck assembly, are the generic ebay models too much of a risk? They're awfully tempting for $40 delivered, but I have no idea of the quality. Advance wants $300 for the Dorman part, which is probably junk itself. (Dorman quality is inconsistent).
WJC97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 11-10-2009, 07:33 AM   #2
Doom's Day Custom

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger xlt 4.0l v6
Doom's Day Custom will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC97 View Post
Just bought my friend's 97 Ranger, and took it out for a fillup last night. Dumped fuel all over the ground at fill-up, and I see there is a longstanding problem with crap fuel hose on Rangers (I know from experience Ford will let problems fester for 10+ years before fixing them ).

My question is: Is there any creative solution to this besides buying the new neck assembly? For example, does anyone make a fuel-resistant flex hose that I could clamp to the necks?

Also, if I do have to buy the new neck assembly, are the generic ebay models too much of a risk? They're awfully tempting for $40 delivered, but I have no idea of the quality. Advance wants $300 for the Dorman part, which is probably junk itself. (Dorman quality is inconsistent).

lol i had the same problem so all i did was put gasoline safe glue in the cracks and wrap it really good in electrical tape!!!! But there is a problem i don't think you know about which the end of the hose are to different diameters.. I call a tractor trailer place that repair them and the will sell me the hose to fix so you might want to check out a tractor trailer place and i have tried every place around me i could think of to find that hose but with no success and the tractor place was the only on that had it !!! I hope it help!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:00 AM   #3
mentalbreakdown00

Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ
I use this vehicle for: hauling, dirty work/ daily ride
mentalbreakdown00 will become famous soon enough

From experience, I have not found a suitable hose yet that lasts as long as the Ford one. I have discovered that each end is slightly different diameter, and also another problem you will have is the air tube that runs through the hose is built into it, I have destroyed everyone of them I have tried to remove, unless you don't mind the constant clicking at the gas pump when it shuts the valve off like it's full.

Insanity; repeatedly doing the same thing expecting different results.... Albert Einstien
mentalbreakdown00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
LittleBigFoot

Vehicle Year: 79-00
Vehicle Make: Mostly Ford.
Vehicle Model: Rangerish-Broncoish-Truggyish Thing.
I use this vehicle for: The 13th step of the 12 step program.
LittleBigFoot is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to LittleBigFoot Send a message via MSN to LittleBigFoot

I just swapped a 33 gallon Bronco tank into my 00. Had the same problem with the fuel filler neck.

The two different IDs of the hose make it a pain in the ass to piece somethin together.
Most auto parts stores dont carry fuel filler neck hose.

Your best bet would be snagging a few from the junk yard. With C4C I bet you could find a later model ranger neck with the seperate vent line and make that work.

Good luck
Old 11-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
WJC97

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Ranger Supercab 2.3
WJC97 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBigFoot View Post
Your best bet would be snagging a few from the junk yard. With C4C I bet you could find a later model ranger neck with the seperate vent line and make that work.

Good luck
I thought of that, but was afraid of spending time and money on another hose that may rot in a year or two. Is there a particular year where Ford "fixed" the problem, with a more durable hose? And are all later model years compatible with the 97? Thanks for the responses.
WJC97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
mentalbreakdown00

Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ
I use this vehicle for: hauling, dirty work/ daily ride
mentalbreakdown00 will become famous soon enough

12-13 yrs isn't durable enough?

Insanity; repeatedly doing the same thing expecting different results.... Albert Einstien
mentalbreakdown00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
erocka1982

Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger edge
I use this vehicle for: gettin tickets
erocka1982 is on a distinguished road

your getting ripped off at advance. the dorman filler neck does not cost that much. i work at a parts store i can get you a dorman filler neck for half that! and prolly 6 bucks to ups to you.

Last edited by erocka1982; 11-10-2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: added to it
erocka1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:32 PM   #8
Nelson674

Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD
Nelson674 is on a distinguished road

Sorry I know this is an old thread but I just ran into this same problem and figured I would bring it back up to the top to see if anyone has figured out a fix yet.

So.... Has anybody found a better/less expensive solution to the cracking fuel filler hose problem?

Thanks for any input.

P.S I'm new around here, for those that don't frequent the intro. section here is my truck.

http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...ad.php?t=81909
Nelson674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:46 AM   #9
scottg

Vehicle Year: 04
Vehicle Model: SportTrac
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver
scottg is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to scottg

im running the ebay special on my 95, and it works fine. I've only had it for 4 months though. It did fix right the first time
scottg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #10
Nelson674

Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD
Nelson674 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottg View Post
im running the ebay special on my 95, and it works fine. I've only had it for 4 months though. It did fix right the first time
Did you drop the tank for installation or remove the bed?

This is my first vehicle (besides my parents Camery I've been driving the last few years) so I'm somewhat new to fixing cars and mechanic work. Could someone enlighten me as to what makes this filler neck so expensive at LMC and where ever the OP said he looked. ($300 ) It's just a rubber hose that is resistant to gas, no?
Nelson674 is offline   Reply With Quote