Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'RICO9'
July 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Cole' Dave'
July 2014 MTOTM

Old 08-15-2007, 12:15 AM   #1
RedRider

RedRider is on a distinguished road
Default SOLVED: Serpentine Belt Tensioner problems Squealing

Well, I have one more post to help solve problems, after that I am going to a begging mo fo! I really need to title this... "WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT CHANGING A FRIGGIN BELT WOULD BE THIS DIFFICULT".

I tried to change the serpentine belt on my truck with 70k miles. I bought a standard belt at Autozone. The problem that happened is that after I changed the belt, my truck would routinely squeal loud until it caught up with the engine rpm. After that everything ran fine. On humid / rainy days, the squealing would last much longer.

I was really annoying my neighbors with this squealing noise so early in the morning, so I bought a 'high end' Gatorback belt. Well... the same thing happened.

What is a person to do? If you go by the folks at an autoparts store you need a new tensioner! WRONG!

I actually bought a new tensioner but, on the way home I was thinking I need to stop at Ford and compare belt sizes! I did and guess what, both belts bought from Autozone were about 1 to 2 inches longer than the belt that Ford sold. The serpentine belt at Ford cost $40.

I went home and put the Ford OEM serpentine belt on, and sure enough the squealing went away... forever! I never needed to replace the tensioner, the problem was the belt size!

If anyone has this same problem please post specifics about your truck. I have a 2002 4.0L SOHC 4wd. Back in the day, when I went to Autozone.com and this model was in the MINORITY now it is the majority, so I wonder if they were pulling a part number from a different model truck??

I STRONGLY suggest measuring up your old serpentine belt with the replacement.

I hope this info helps someone in the future.
Cheers
-Brian
RedRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 08-15-2007, 12:26 AM   #2
WIEGS

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
WIEGS is on a distinguished road

I think they might of given you the belt for an OHV thinking it wouldn't matter. I dunno just an idea. Whats the length of the belt anyway?
Old 08-15-2007, 02:39 AM   #3
Sasquatch_Ryda
Coast Mountain Crawlers

Vehicle Year: 1991/2002/2008
Vehicle Model: Ranger/SportTrac/SuperDuty
I use this vehicle for: Play toy/Daily Driver/Tow Rig
Sasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Sasquatch_Ryda

We have run across this problem a few times where i work ( ford dealership) when we were out of stock on certain belts or customers would install napa belts and have them squeel. The aftermarket belts seem to be a bit longer than the OEM's
1967 Mustang Coupe - 289, c4, pretty much stock
Sasquatch_Ryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
Greatbear

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Ranger - Super Cab 3.0L
Greatbear is on a distinguished road
Default No more belt Squeel !!

I was at wits end with this truck making noise. I found out that the belt dimensions make a big difference and not all auto parts stores follow the Ford standard for these. When i looked up NAPA i found their MICRO-V AT belt and put it on. (it is made by Gates). NO SQUEAKS, NO SQUEAL, NO MORE @#$% Noise. There is a god who drives a Ford. lolhttp://www.therangerstation.com/forums/images/smilies/yahoo.gif
Greatbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
SnC RangeR

Vehicle Year: 98
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: everything
SnC RangeR will become famous soon enoughSnC RangeR will become famous soon enough

same thing happened to me, i learned the hard way.
SnC RangeR is offline   Reply With Quote