• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

stuck in park

leith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have got a real problem. hoping someone could help me.

My brother was messing with the fuses and now the truck will not come out of park. it feels like when you try to move the gear selector without pressing the brake. checked all the fuses and they look to be in the right places.

if you have an idea i would appreciate it.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Check to see if you have brake lights, if not chances are he blew the fuse. There is a brake interlock switch that when you depress the brake pedal it energizes a the park lock solenoid to allow you to move the gear selector. Chances are its just the fuse.

JP02XLT

leith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
do you know which fuse it would be. he is wondering if he put a fuse back in the wrong spot. I have looked at a few diagrams and everything seems to be in the right spot. i will first check the brake lights.

Thanks for the response

leith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
brake lights are working.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Are you parked on an incline? I have seen the parking pawl get stuck on some vehicles & you have to shove the vehicle forward to release the pressure on the pawl, to get the mechanism free. There is also a chance the brake interlock solenoid went bad but I would make sure it is getting 12 volts, It will be located somewhere in the shifter assembly on the column. It should release when you depress the brake pedal.

JP02XLT

leith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm in my driveway which is flat. is there a fuse for the brake interlock solenoid?

I was thinking that since we were messing with the fuses maybe we put one in the wrong spot?

Thank you for all your help!

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Hard to say, but if you just want it out of park, put the key into the accessories or run position and it will come out of park. Then put it in neutral and start it, on your way you go.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am not sure of a fuse that is only for the interlock I am sure it is tied in with something else, I would start going over every electrical function, Lights, hazzard, courtesy etc. your surely to find something that is not working & check that specific fuse, Sorry I do not have a wiring diagram to know for sure what it is tied into. Is the key switch free to turn & will the steering wheel unlock to turn the wheels? Another option is to crawl under the dash & find the switch on the brake pedal & check for current at the switch, but more than likely it just makes up the ground circuit when the switch closes.

JP02XLT

Last edited:

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
OK here is a bit of info I found in the service CD for the 02

Shift Interlock System

The shift interlock system prevents the shifting from PARK unless the brake pedal (2455) is depressed. The shift interlock system consists of a shift lock actuator (3Z719) mounted at the base of the steering column tube (3514). If the ignition switch (11572) is in the RUN position, the shift lock actuator is continually on unless the brake pedal is depressed.

According to this if the switch is in run position you should be able shift the trans, without pressing the brake pedal as the interlock is on & not locking the shifter. Try doing this with the engine off & go from there. Reading a bit more the manual says to check fuse #16 & fuse #10 in the fuse block, if the fuses are good your looking at either a bad switch, (But your brake lights are working) or a bad actuator, or an open circuit, Wire broken etc

JP02XLT

Last edited:

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
OK here is a bit of info I found in the service CD for the 02

Shift Interlock System

The shift interlock system prevents the shifting from PARK unless the brake pedal (2455) is depressed. The shift interlock system consists of a shift lock actuator (3Z719) mounted at the base of the steering column tube (3514). If the ignition switch (11572) is in the RUN position, the shift lock actuator is continually on unless the brake pedal is depressed.

According to this if the switch is in run position you should be able shift the trans, without pressing the brake pedal as the interlock is on & not locking the shifter. Try doing this with the engine off & go from there. Reading a bit more the manual says to check fuse #16 & fuse #10 in the fuse block, if the fuses are good your looking at either a bad switch, (But your brake lights are working) or a bad actuator, or an open circuit, Wire broken etc

JP02XLT
See above post...

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I thought he wanted to try to fix the problem & not just alter his starting procedure.

JP02XLT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals