Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'PlumCrazy'
October 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Ted R.'
October 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Engine & Transmission Forums > 4-bangers > 4-Cylinder (2000 & Older)

Notices

Old 12-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
briansz

Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
briansz is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 2.3L 1-Barrel to 2-Barrel Conversion

I've completed my 2.3L Ranger 1bbl to 2bbl carb conversion today. There is a little tuning left to do, but the truck idles much better - OK, it actually idles, I'm loving being able to punt the damn YFA carb after all these years.

Power seems about the same when you really get on it, a little less torque from a standing start when you don't (to be expected with a progressive 2bbl like the Holley/Motorcraft 5200).

Gas mileage should improve.

If you get a late 70's Mustang 2.3 carb from the junkyard, this swap can be done for less than $100 in parts and it's actually pretty easy. I just converted over to the hot water choke that the carb had on it.

I'll post some pix and more details shortly.
briansz is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 12-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
Mark_88
Einstein I'm NOT

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Multi-year Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Space travel
Mark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, another one...does yours have the triangular shaped casing? I've posted pics of mine somewhere on here, but I've never actually seen another truck with the same carb...

I didn't go from 1bbl to 2, but I noticed improved gas mileage right away with the 5200...and it did add some punch to the engine...but they really do need bigger valves and a bit of head porting to get the most out of them...

I'm still considering the Holly 350 with the FI intake...but that will have to wait...

Rome and my Ranger were not built in a day...
Mark_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
flaminranger

I use this vehicle for: work
flaminranger is on a distinguished road

I wonder if the 88 2.0 with the 2 barrel has the same mounting as the old 5200.
mark the holley 350 fi intake combo helps out the power but it will destroy your mileage. my friend has it on his 84 and he gets about 11mpg on the freeway and about 10 in town.3.23gears
flaminranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
briansz

I'm noticing better gas mileage. I'd say probably in the 18-20 range easily. Hard to tell for sure as I can't fill the tank all the way (dreaded and familiar gas tank filler line leak).

Mine is like the older ones, an ellipse with straight lines that meet in the midpoints on a small radius. Or like two triangles mirrored from the centerline with radiused corners. Like you'd find on an older Pinto.

I'll get some pix today, been crazy busy.

I'm using the Langdon's Stovebolt (inline 6 web vendor) 1bbl to 2bbl adapter. It's cheap pot metal, but it works. The same adapter everybody else sells for $50 Langdon's has for like $20, but I did have to wait awhile for him to get more in stock before it shipped.

Need to move the throttle cable a little further away than stock to get better pull, and it sticks a little if you mash it all the way to the firewall. Need to set timing as well, and the water choke seems to not fully close so starting it up in the AM cold is a little interesting. Runs fine once warm. A little tuning is to be expected, overall this is a pretty easy swap and I've put about 100 miles on the truck in the last two days.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #5
briansz

OK, some pix:

World's dirtiest engine compartment with the factory Ford 2bbl air cleaner:

Sans air cleaner:

Here is a closeup of the 1bbl to 2bbl adapter:

Closeup of water choke assembly:

I need to go to the boneyard (or my storage unit) this weekend and get a 2bbl throttle bracket - I remember them being taller than the 1bbl model so that the cable can sit at more of an angle down to the carb instead of almost horizontal.

Idle surprisingly went up today when I lost a vacuum cap on the main tree. It's back down now.

Carb needs cleaned, ick. I get a nice signal to the O2 sensor and air/fuel meter at idle or WOT. The mixture reading is a bit flaky at part throttle, though the truck still runs OK at that point.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
Mark_88
Einstein I'm NOT

Vehicle Model: Multi-year Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Space travel
Mark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminranger View Post
mark the holley 350 fi intake combo helps out the power but it will destroy your mileage. my friend has it on his 84 and he gets about 11mpg on the freeway and about 10 in town.3.23gears
Thanks for the info...it may just be something with his setup, but I haven't really heard too many comments about the gas mileage with that carb...it is said to improve performance though...and that usually is a trade-off for economy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansz View Post
I'm noticing better gas mileage. I'd say probably in the 18-20 range easily. Hard to tell for sure as I can't fill the tank all the way (dreaded and familiar gas tank filler line leak).

Mine is like the older ones, an ellipse with straight lines that meet in the midpoints on a small radius. Or like two triangles mirrored from the centerline with radiused corners. Like you'd find on an older Pinto.

I'll get some pix today, been crazy busy.

I'm using the Langdon's Stovebolt (inline 6 web vendor) 1bbl to 2bbl adapter. It's cheap pot metal, but it works. The same adapter everybody else sells for $50 Langdon's has for like $20, but I did have to wait awhile for him to get more in stock before it shipped.

Need to move the throttle cable a little further away than stock to get better pull, and it sticks a little if you mash it all the way to the firewall. Need to set timing as well, and the water choke seems to not fully close so starting it up in the AM cold is a little interesting. Runs fine once warm. A little tuning is to be expected, overall this is a pretty easy swap and I've put about 100 miles on the truck in the last two days.

wow...that is interesting...thanks for posting the pics...I always wondered about that choke setup because mine was absent when I got it...or there was something there that just didn't seem to work right...

I had taken the original choke off the 2.0 carb because it seemed to be hot all the time and I was concerned it may be drawing battery power even when the truck was off...

My 5200 was on the original intake so I didn't need to worry about the adaptor...but yours looks clean from the intake to the adaptor...

Oh, and my breather was silver...whether someone actually cleaned it up or what IDK, but I figured it looked better with the brushed aluminum...I have since chopped the beak off that went over to the exhaust side and cut holes in both sides of it for air circulation around the breather from the cold side...I might some day close off the side to the exhaust and run a cold air intake down to the drivers side somewhere if there's need/room...

Rome and my Ranger were not built in a day...
Mark_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
briansz

Yesterday I found that the factory 2bbl throttle bracket will not work with the Ranger factory throttle cable. I was able to bend the Ranger throttle cable bracket downwards and then bend the vertical portion inwards a bit, now the linkage is working fine.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
ianthegreat

Vehicle Year: 1986
ianthegreat is on a distinguished road

thanks for the pics
ianthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
Kenneth S

Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT SuperCab
I use this vehicle for: Everything
Kenneth S will become famous soon enough

That little holley/weber progressive 2 bbl sucks performance/gas mileage wise, a Holley 350 2 bbl (or motorcraft equivalent) is the way to go. I get 22mpg city, 29 mpg hwy with a 350 holley 2bbl mounted on an OMC 2.3L boat intake manifold (with a adaptor I made to fit the Holley 350 on it) I got the intake off of ebay for $50.00.

Last edited by Kenneth S; 12-25-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Kenneth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #10
Kenneth S

Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT SuperCab
I use this vehicle for: Everything
Kenneth S will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminranger View Post
The 88 2.0 2bbl bolt pattern is different than 5200 (the 5200 is as worthless as the 2bbl that came on the 88 2.0), The 350 holley to a efi intake (it's great for racing where you can keep the rpm's above 3500 rpm's, but it's not to good on the street).