Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Old 12-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
dragonryder

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD beater
dragonryder is on a distinguished road
Default Do I need a new heater core?

Alright I have a 96 ranger 2.3l thats got almost 200k miles on her. I've only had it about 6 months and it never seemed to defrost well. I just wrote it off to the fact that it doesn't have A/C so it takes longer. I can smell antifreeze in the cab but I know I have a coolant leak on the lower rad hose so I thought that was why. Now today I started to see smoke from under the hood, so after a short investigation I find coolant dripping from a tube that comes out of the fire wall just below and to the right of the coolant lines going into the heater core. I have no leaks inside the truck but I do have alot of moisture that forms on the windows when it sits and the windows fog pretty good when I kick on the defrost. I'm thinking it's the heater core but I heard it is a real PITA to change so I thought I would ask on here first.
dragonryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 12-23-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
schmoo

Vehicle Year: 83 2.8 ranger
Vehicle Make: 84 2.3 4x4 rang
Vehicle Model: 98 4.0 4x4 ranger
schmoo is on a distinguished road

my 83 was like that- it was easy to change, unhook
hoses, take three screws out on the cover inside,
and it falls out in your hand. don't wait- it is not
healthy to breathe antifreeze.
schmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
dragonryder

From what I have read on here it is not that simple on the 95+. We have to remove the whole dash to get to ours. Also antifreeze can be all that bad, it has a nice sweet smell that covers up the smell of the cigarette's.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:47 AM   #4
modelageek

Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Model: Ext Cab, Edge, 2WD, M5OD, 4WABS, AC, 112k.
modelageek will become famous soon enough

in all seriousness you don't want to be breathing in coolant fumes. +1 on 95 and after being a pita to change........is there a chance that the hose is leaking at the firewall and causing this issue. have you tried to tighten the clamp where the drip is?

Current project: 2004 Ext Cab, 4WD, 4.0, Auto, 135k(purchase price $1,350)needs an engine. I think a timing chain skipped. No rust or dents, needs a compound.

1999 Ford Ranger, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 2WD, no AC, 150k (SOLD)
modelageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
fili450r

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: Ranger Splash
I use this vehicle for: daily driver, mudding, hauler, GETAWAY vehicle. PISSING ME OFF!
fili450r is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelageek View Post
in all seriousness you don't want to be breathing in coolant fumes. +1 on 95 and after being a pita to change........is there a chance that the hose is leaking at the firewall and causing this issue. have you tried to tighten the clamp where the drip is?
x2....check all other solutions before taking your dash out....mine is lucky enough to be the old easy way, but it is not fun, i did it on a 98 exploder.
fili450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
AllanD
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1987... sorta
Vehicle Model: Ranger Supercab
I use this vehicle for: Roadtrip Warrior
AllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to beholdAllanD is a splendid one to behold

Even inhaled Ethylene Glycol can cause liver damage.

IF you smell coolant...

As for it draining out that little pipe? that little pipe is there to prevent
it from draining inside thecab.

AD
AllanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
riverviewcontracting

Vehicle Year: 88
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: bronco II (that thing)
I use this vehicle for: whatever i want Built Ford Tuff with Junk yard Stuff and a lot of trash
riverviewcontracting is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonryder View Post
Alright I have a 96 ranger 2.3l thats got almost 200k miles on her. I've only had it about 6 months and it never seemed to defrost well. I just wrote it off to the fact that it doesn't have A/C so it takes longer. I can smell antifreeze in the cab but I know I have a coolant leak on the lower rad hose so I thought that was why. Now today I started to see smoke from under the hood, so after a short investigation I find coolant dripping from a tube that comes out of the fire wall just below and to the right of the coolant lines going into the heater core. I have no leaks inside the truck but I do have alot of moisture that forms on the windows when it sits and the windows fog pretty good when I kick on the defrost. I'm thinking it's the heater core but I heard it is a real PITA to change so I thought I would ask on here first.
so after a short investigation I find coolant dripping from a tube that comes out of the fire wall just below and to the right of the coolant lines going into the heater core.
that is the heater core drain tube to keep the cooland out of the cab check under the dash it ma be easy as 5 screws to drop the cover and udo the hoses then pull back the core and down its out put back just the oppisite i just did 1 of them this year on different year and make rbv
riverviewcontracting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
riverviewcontracting

Vehicle Year: 88
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: bronco II (that thing)
I use this vehicle for: whatever i want Built Ford Tuff with Junk yard Stuff and a lot of trash
riverviewcontracting is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonryder View Post
so after a short investigation I find coolant dripping from a tube that comes out of the fire wall just below and to the right of the coolant lines going into the heater core.
that is the heater core drain tube to keep the cooland out of the cab check under the dash it ma be easy as 5 screws to drop the cover and udo the hoses then pull back the core and down its out put back just the oppisite i just did 1 of them this year on different year and make rbv
riverviewcontracting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #9
dragonryder

Thanks all, I thought that the tube may have been a drain but I wasn't sure. Guess thats why I haven't been getting and antifreeze in the passenger floor. Now just a question of tearing the dash out and replacing the core.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
modelageek

Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Model: Ext Cab, Edge, 2WD, M5OD, 4WABS, AC, 112k.
modelageek will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewcontracting View Post
95+ you have to pull the dash. I think the ford dealers alocate 5 hours plus parts

Current project: 2004 Ext Cab, 4WD, 4.0, Auto, 135k(purchase price $1,350)needs an engine. I think a timing chain skipped. No rust or dents, needs a compound.

1999 Ford Ranger, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 2WD, no AC, 150k (SOLD)
modelageek is offline   Reply With Quote