Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'RICO9'
July 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Cole' Dave'
July 2014 MTOTM

Old 01-02-2010, 12:52 AM   #1
thebigyellowtruck

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: ranger xlt
I use this vehicle for: daily driver, hunting companion
thebigyellowtruck is on a distinguished road
Question Check engine light came on, code P1443

I have a 1997 ranger with a 2.3 engine. just recently the check engine light came on. i checked the code with my girlfriends dads code reader and it came back P1443. I looked the code up online and it said that the code was "Evaporative Emission Control System Control Valve" it also said that in order to fix this problem i would need a canister purge solenoid. Is this factual information that i found? if so can anyone tell me where the canister purge solenoide is so that i can replace it? thanks in advance for the help.
thebigyellowtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 01-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
srteach

Vehicle Year: 1999, 2001
Vehicle Make: Ranger, F350
Vehicle Model: XLT supercab, SuperDuty
I use this vehicle for: DD / light OR, DD
srteach will become famous soon enoughsrteach will become famous soon enough

Factual? I don't know. The canister purge solenoid is in line to the purge canister.

On a 2.3, follow the hose that comes from the intake of the engine along the left fender well to a black plastic box near the front of the left side frame. The solenoid is inline with that hose, and should be mounted to the inside of the left fender. If I still had my 96, I could give a picture.

BTW, this valve only opens at high RPMs.
srteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
97ranger xlt

Vehicle Model: Ranger
97ranger xlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigyellowtruck View Post
I have a 1997 ranger with a 2.3 engine. just recently the check engine light came on. i checked the code with my girlfriends dads code reader and it came back P1443. I looked the code up online and it said that the code was "Evaporative Emission Control System Control Valve" it also said that in order to fix this problem i would need a canister purge solenoid. Is this factual information that i found? if so can anyone tell me where the canister purge solenoide is so that i can replace it? thanks in advance for the help.

you can try to clean the valve with carb cleaner. if that doesn't work replace. it. it is cheaper than the solenoid so do that first and see if it gets rid of the CEL.

in my case, i had to replace both, but i could only find the solenoid at the dealership.

also the code could be caused by a non/loose sealing gas cap so check that too.

Last edited by 97ranger xlt; 01-02-2010 at 10:56 AM.
97ranger xlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
SMTGREG

Vehicle Year: 1965
Vehicle Make: MGB
SMTGREG is on a distinguished road

DTC P1443: VISUAL CHECK OF EVAPORATIVE EMISSION SYSTEM

Continuous Memory Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P1443 indicates an Evaporative emission control system or evaporative canister purge valve (mechanical) malfunction.

Possible causes:

Damaged EVAP canister.

Pinched, plugged, blocked, cracked, cut or disconnected fuel vapor tubes/hoses between the fuel tank, EVAP canister, EVAP canister purge valve, purge flow (PF) sensor, and the engine intake manifold.

Damaged EVAP canister purge valve.

Damaged PF sensor.

EVAP CANISTER PURGE, or PF circuit shorted to VPWR.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
thebigyellowtruck

thanks guys, i found it and it seems that the guy that had the truck before me rigged up the hose from the intake to the canister. there is a steel tube shoved in the hose in between, there are no clamps so perhaps it is leaking from there. i will check the other areas you told me. thanks a lot. i will let everyone know how it goes.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:14 AM   #6
thebigyellowtruck

i didnt replace the valve, but i put small clamps on a hose that i noticed was loose that was going to the valve. hopefully that will fix the problem. the check engine light is off, but i havent driven the truck yet.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
stegomon

Vehicle Year: 1987/1990
Vehicle Make: fords and only
Vehicle Model: ranger
stegomon has a spectacular aura aboutstegomon has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to stegomon

how about the 3.0s?
About an other 15 RBVs in the yard
stegomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
rbrennec

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Ford Ranger
Vehicle Model: 2.3L Supercab
rbrennec is on a distinguished road

My light came on just the other day. Took it to Auto Zone for a free diag, came of P1443. Found this on another site.

Less than two months ago, I purchased a used 1997 Ford Ranger XLT, Regular Cab (2.3 L I-4, 5 spd.). Shortly after the purchase, the check engine light came. I had the code read at a local auto parts store, and the code P1443 was returned. The description for the code was “Evaporative Emission Control System Control Valve”. Initially, I didn’t do anything to fix the problem. The light ended up clearing itself a couple of days after it first came on. However, the light only stayed off for a few driving cycles before it came back on (and stayed on). I had the code read again, and again I got the P1443 code.
I did some research on the web and found that the problem could be the Canister Purge Assembly. This assembly connects the intake manifold to the charcoal canister and the assembly is made up of hoses, a valve and a sensor. On my 1997 Ranger, it is located near the front of the engine compartment on the driver’s side (the canister is right behind the driver’s side headlight). Apparently, if there are any cracks in the hoses, or if the valve or the sensor wears out, this will cause the check engine light to come on, and return the P1443 code. After looking around on the web for a couple of days, I was lucky enough to find a few part numbers for the canister purge solenoid/flow sensor assemblies:

F57Z-9C987-AB Canister Purge Solenoid/Flow Sensor
Assembly - 2.3L

F57Z-9C987-CA Canister Purge Solenoid/Flow Sensor
Assembly - 3.0L

F57Z-9C87-BA Canister Purge Solenoid/Flow Sensor
Assembly - 4.0L

After trying to get the part at a few different auto parts stores, I made a trip to the dealer to order the part. It ended up costing about $65 (although, I have heard it can cost $80 - $100 depending on the exact part number that you need). It only took 5 or 10 minutes to install the part, and it was fairly simple. Initially, I started the truck and the check engine light was still on. However, the light cleared itself after a few driving cycles and it has stayed off ever since (it has been about 5 weeks and 1500 miles).

Hopefully this helps someone who had the same problems that I did. From my experience, and from what I have found in my research, if you get the P1443 code on a late 90’s Ranger, this is the way to fix it. Hopefully you will be able to use the part numbers above to order your parts (I am not sure where on the web I originally got the part numbers from, but I did use them to order the part that I needed). I believe this is a part that you can only get at a dealer, so you may not even want to waste time trying to order it from the auto parts stores. I would rate this as a fairly easy thing to replace as long as you have some knowledge about working on cars and trucks. However, if you don’t feel comfortable doing it yourself, you may want to ask for help from a friend who is knowledgeable before you spend the money to have someone else do it.
rbrennec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #9
rbrennec

Vehicle Make: Ford Ranger
Vehicle Model: 2.3L Supercab
rbrennec is on a distinguished road
Default P1443

I have a '96 with the P1443 error. I don't see it behind the driver's side headlight. Is that where it is on the '96 also?
rbrennec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
killj0y
Premium Member

Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT Standard Cab
I use this vehicle for: DD and light duty
killj0y has a spectacular aura aboutkillj0y has a spectacular aura aboutkillj0y has a spectacular aura about

I had this exact same problem about 2 months ago and in just putting in a new air filter and cleaning the MAF as part of regular maintenance it cleared the code instantly lol. Seems dumb but have you checked that? I think i might have also just pushed in any vacuum lines i could see.
*Snorkel Mod
*4" Rough Country Lift
killj0y is online now   Reply With Quote