Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Old 12-11-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
bginn

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
bginn is on a distinguished road
Default Compression, no compression

4 cyl 2.3.
Engine has continued to lose power. At least it seems that way. Engine has eventually started missing at idle speeds and while coming to stops. Engine dies on occasion while at idle. This sypmtom doesn't appear as bad when engine is warmed up to normal operating temps. Sick and tired of the missing engine and lack of power so put in the shop. Mechanics have kept for about 2 weeks now. As per mechanic, Firing is in order, good plugs, timing ok, etc. Mechanic decides the head needs to be reworked and valves inspected. After all of this, still no fix. Swapped computers, still no fix. Mechanic says he is puzzled: "cylinder #1 & #2 is losing or has no compression on occasion." He says when cylinder #1 loses compression, cyl #2 has compression and is good and vice versa.
How can this be? Mechanic seems to be concerned and I have thought was a pretty good mechanic, but this has him puzzled, as well as his collegues. He seems to have run out of options for this compression issue. Any suggestions? More info. needed?

Thanks in advance.
bginn is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 12-11-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
Ranger5.0

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: DD, Wheeling,
Ranger5.0 is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe try replacing....the mechanic? sounds like the guys grasping at straws

93' EXT,on the second 302H.O 3" single exaust,Deltaflow 40/AOD/13-56/F-150 coils, Explorer/ranger leafs.
Ranger5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
Young_unn

Vehicle Year: 98,2000
Vehicle Make: Rangers
Vehicle Model: reg cab stepside, ext cab
I use this vehicle for: the 5.0 for donuts, 2000 DD
Young_unn is on a distinguished road

Mine is doing the same thing as i speak. its a pain when its cold and you cant get it past 15 mph
Young_unn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:38 PM   #4
michowski

michowski will become famous soon enough

If you dont have any compression you need new rings at the least. If he has had it 2 weeks just to tell you your plugs and wires are good and the timing is ok then I would get it out of his shop asap. What was the compression reading he got? Should be 100psi minumum. More then likely you need new rings. If thats the case I would hone out the cylinders, replace the rings, main and rod bearings. Pistons to if you got the money.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:39 PM   #5
Broncodude

Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
I use this vehicle for: Pulling out Jeeps
Broncodude is on a distinguished road

Ask him if he did a leak down test.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:49 PM   #6
Young_unn

Vehicle Year: 98,2000
Vehicle Make: Rangers
Vehicle Model: reg cab stepside, ext cab
I use this vehicle for: the 5.0 for donuts, 2000 DD
Young_unn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by michowski View Post
If you dont have any compression you need new rings at the least. If he has had it 2 weeks just to tell you your plugs and wires are good and the timing is ok then I would get it out of his shop asap. What was the compression reading he got? Should be 100psi minumum. More then likely you need new rings. If thats the case I would hone out the cylinders, replace the rings, main and rod bearings. Pistons to if you got the money.

Now mine may be different than his, not sure, but im eating coolant, Im thinking thats a sign or a bad head gasket, My oil isnt showing any foam on the cap or stick, and i dont burn oil (to my knowledge)
Young_unn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:57 PM   #7
michowski

michowski will become famous soon enough

He never said anything about loosing coolant or oil so im figuring its rings. He also said the guys at the shop "reworked" the heads so im assuming that means they pulled em and replaced the gaskets. Have to wait till he responds to find out for sure.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:03 PM   #8
Ranger5.0

What made the mechanic suspect the head needed work? WHAT work was done to the head? Is there written proof of inspections done by a qualified person? It sounds like this dude doesnt know what hes loking for. It takes a few hrs TOPS to do a preliminary diagnoses. Checking the ignition system and ignition timing is easy, if it all checked out ok, then it shouldnt have taken much time at all. there is a HUGE diference between having no compression what so ever, and having low compression. So get that cleared up. Oil in the cylinders will help creat a better seal with worn rings, so one can go on and on about therorys as to why the compression is coming and going. Me, id say his compression gauge has been droped a few to many times.

93' EXT,on the second 302H.O 3" single exaust,Deltaflow 40/AOD/13-56/F-150 coils, Explorer/ranger leafs.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:04 PM   #9
Ranger5.0

young_unn Define eating coolent. Is it a leak when hot? does the exaust smell sweat? and you say you dont know if its eating oil...a good way to get a good handle on that is to check it, dayly

Old 12-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #10
bginn

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Ranger
bginn is on a distinguished road

No coolant loss. Not any excessive oil use either, that I can tell. Not sure about the exhaust. There might have been a stronger smelling exhaust here lately, but not a sweet smell. I'm really not sure exactly what was done to the head other than just being "reworked".

Sounds like I do need to ask him a few questions though. I'll see him later today and ask about the "leak down test" and get the specifics about the head job.

Thanks y'all.
I'll keep you posted.
bginn is offline   Reply With Quote