• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

so which cam?

okietheranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO
Transmission
Manual
ok so i am gonna order the cam tonight and was wondering what the best choice for what i want, the motor is out of a 89 gt 5.0 HO i still want to keep it smog legal but would like to get the rough idle cam sound, its also gonna be a NP435 tranny... so i was leaning on the e303 any suggestions?

fordman4x492

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.oh 3oh2 v8
Transmission
Automatic
well if your gonna put a cam that has more than 400 lift or something like that then you would have to put new valve springs that can handle that much lift. also the 5.0 h.o. has a roller cam so make sure you get a roller cam because if you dont you would have to buy flat tappet lifters for that cam.

thats a roller cam and roller lifters

that is a solit flat tappet cam

please dont get them mixed up because it can cause son searious damage to your cam or lifters:icon_thumby:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Seen this posted over at RPS, thought it was pretty interesting. Just keep reading on to the next articles:

http://www.airflowresearch.com/articles/article087/A-P1.htm

LOL, I think baddad has been saying this all along. I started with a low performance engine and I replaced it with a B303, but I am running a carb. Makes me want to ditch my GT40s for the AFR 165s. Maybe down the road...

Last edited:

okietheranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO
Transmission
Manual
damn im impressed thats a huge gain.. but im not really looking for more horse power this is my 4x4 truck i just want it to have the cam sounds and be smog legal and if i pick up a few ponies down the road then thats fine with me.. but man thats a killer upgrade with a stock cam

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I don't knwo what an E cam sounds like, but the B303 and 1.7 rockers has a wicked lope. Good bottom end, mid range too. Any upgrade really needs better springs though to get the maximum rev potential. And if it doesn't rev high enough after that, then better lifters are in order. I went with Crane's O.E. replacements for this. 7500 rpms are no problem with good springs and these lifters

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Seen this posted over at RPS, thought it was pretty interesting. Just keep reading on to the next articles:

http://www.airflowresearch.com/articles/article087/A-P1.htm

LOL, I think baddad has been saying this all along. I started with a low performance engine and I replaced it with a B303, but I am running a carb. Makes me want to ditch my GT40s for the AFR 165s. Maybe down the road...
expect to pay 1500 bux tho, they aint cheap. unless you want to build serious hp your gt40s are all you need. there are better ways to make power that wont bankrupt you.

damn im impressed thats a huge gain.. but im not really looking for more horse power this is my 4x4 truck i just want it to have the cam sounds and be smog legal and if i pick up a few ponies down the road then thats fine with me.. but man thats a killer upgrade with a stock cam
afr makes a smog legal 165cc aluminum head with same power gains (they may have even used smog legal ones in that build car craft did the same thing with a pair of smog legal ones)
and i read that article a long time ago cause ill be using afr 165's on my 331 build

My91Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Probably the best cam you go can with is the one you already have. Check out some of the mustang forums, those guys rave about the stock cam. You really need to have a good amount of supporting mods to get any gains over the stock cam. If you want a little bit more power out of the stock cam and change the idle sound, throw on some 1.7 RR's and call it a day.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

TRS Events

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Rick W
October Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

25th Anniversary Merch

Follow TRS On Instagram

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals