Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'MastuhWaffles'
November 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'ATX'
November 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Engine & Transmission Forums > V6 Forums > 3.0 Liter Forum

Notices

Old 08-16-2007, 08:50 AM   #1
gatorranger

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
gatorranger is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Problems on Flex Fuel 99 Ranger

I have a 99 Ranger with the 3.0 Flex Fuel engine, with 51k miles. On saturday, it instantly stopped running upon startup. It cranks fine but then idles (or dies)as if there was no gas. No codes have been thrown on the panel. I changed the fuel filter with no results. If ether(starting fluid) is sprayed in the air intake the motor will run/idle fine. Also, when starting and in the run position, you can hear the fuel pump turn on. I figured that there must be a problem with the fuel pump and have one on the way. I also noticed that there is a sort of fuel regulator/sensor downstream from the fuel filter that I understand moderates the fuel on the flex fuel model. I can not find any information on this unit and whether it may be at fault. I would appreciate the forum's advice on what I should investigate or repair. Thank you.
gatorranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 08-17-2007, 08:16 AM   #2
BDAB

Vehicle Year: 00, 99, 00
Vehicle Make: Ford, Ford, Bui
Vehicle Model: Excursion, Expedition, Regal
I use this vehicle for: family truckster, winter beater, daily driver
My credo: If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
BDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud ofBDAB has much to be proud of

you know my jetta is doing the same damn thing and I am convinced its the fuel pressure regulator........... going to confirm it with a fuel pressure gauge as soon as I get 1.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:01 AM   #3
Wicked_Sludge

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger, Flareside
I use this vehicle for: Attracting the ladies
Wicked_Sludge is a jewel in the roughWicked_Sludge is a jewel in the roughWicked_Sludge is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_Sludge

i believe the module after the fuel filter is for sensing the ethanol content of the fuel so the computer can adjust timing/injector pulse accordingly. i have heard of it failing a few times.

i also thought the newer rangers use a returnless fuel system (eg. the pump is sped up or slowed down to regulate fuel pressure)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnsb2 View Post
Dyno sheet or GTFO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Dave (B25) View Post
The call was for scantily-clad women. A Certificate of Boob Authenticity was NOT specified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Imahara
I'm not sure if we have the right stuff; I'm just hoping we don't have the wrong stuff.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________
Last edited by Wicked_Sludge : Today at 09:16 PM.
Wicked_Sludge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
JohnnyO
Moderator Emeritus

Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle Model: Sport Trac
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver
JohnnyO is a splendid one to beholdJohnnyO is a splendid one to beholdJohnnyO is a splendid one to beholdJohnnyO is a splendid one to beholdJohnnyO is a splendid one to beholdJohnnyO is a splendid one to beholdJohnnyO is a splendid one to behold
Cool

My wife's 3.0 Taurus was acting up a while ago, turned out to be the camshaft postion sensor trigger bearing thingy (I think that's what it was called ). Apparently the bearing can sieze up. My man at the garage sprayed some WD-40 on it and it was good. About a $125 job to replace it if needed he said. Didn't cost me anything.
He was a little baffled because everything checked out okay, then called a Ford tech he knew who diagnosed the problem in about three seconds since he'd run into it before.
"It is not the multitude of ale houses that occasions a general disposition toward drunkenness among the common people; but rather disposition arising from other causes necessarily gives employment to a multitude of ale houses." -- Adam Smith, 1776
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote