• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88' Bronco II 2.9L V6

Bionic711

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, I almost ready to can this truck.

Anywho, here's the Issue, I have an 88 Bronco II that just wants to be a fussy POS. I Have no spark, no plug electricity (tested with a EFI light testing kit), but the thing turns over, Fuel Pump also pressurizes the rail.

Diagnosis, Electrical problem.

Here's my thing, What could possibly, other than the ECA, which is brand new, cause no spark AND no power to the Plugs. The EEC Module tested okay when I got it tested.

Also, I was testing the EEC power relay and the wires came out of the harness, on the bottom are numbers 1-4 on the pins, if anyone can give me the Colors to numbers combo I'd greatly appreciate it. Wire colors should be Black/Light Green, Red/Light Green, Red, and Yellow.

All ideas are welcome.

freerider6_9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
from the ignition switch the red/light green wire goes to pin 85, blk/lt green goes to pin 86, red goes to pin 30 and yellow goes to pin 87. The red and yellow can be reversed with eachother and so can the other to.

To help you we really need some correct terms here though, What are you calling an ECA? and what are you calling an EEC module? and what are you talking about causing no spark AND no power to the plugs?(spark plugs????) and an EFI light testing kit? Are you talking about node lights to test injectors, an LED test light? more info and we can maybe try to give you a next step.

pwrranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sounds like a bad tfi module its located on the distributor and when they go the cause no spark

Bionic711

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
from the ignition switch the red/light green wire goes to pin 85, blk/lt green goes to pin 86, red goes to pin 30 and yellow goes to pin 87. The red and yellow can be reversed with eachother and so can the other to.

To help you we really need some correct terms here though, What are you calling an ECA? and what are you calling an EEC module? and what are you talking about causing no spark AND no power to the plugs?(spark plugs????) and an EFI light testing kit? Are you talking about node lights to test injectors, an LED test light? more info and we can maybe try to give you a next step.
Sorry for the wrong terms, these are the ones used in the Haynes repair manual.
ECA is the Electronic Control Assembly, the computer on the passenger side under the dash. has like 60 pins, everything goes through.

EEC, is the EEC-IV system. The ignition system for the spark plugs. The EEC module is on the back of the distributor.

By plugs I meant the Fuel Injectors.

Yes, the EFI testing kit is just simply an LED testing kit. Plug it into the FI connector and turn it over. No lights, stays off.

Also, The wiring colors I need are for the 4 pins on the bottom of the EEC power relay, looks identical to the Fuel Pump relay.

freerider6_9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, The " EEC module" is a TFI module. Did you have them test it a few times? they are very common for not being accurate and testing good but they are actually the problem, Try a new one if you can get one for a decent price, they are actually a good thing to keep in your glove box if you do any offroad.

Have you successfully checked the eec relay? if not, connect the red and yellow wires together as well as the blk/light green and red/light green and see if it works. If so that relay is bad and get a new one

And for your wires, is there a diagram on the relay? I dont have my truck here so I cant go see what pin is your numbers, but for the most part the industry standard is in these numbers- 85,86(switched to control relay) -30(normally power feed) -87(normally open) and on 5 wire relays -87a which is normally closed.

Dont lose hope on the ol girl.

Last edited:

Bionic711

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, I don't have a scanner but Ill do the best to explain.

Pin 3 --> <Switch> --> Pin 5

Pin 1 <<< (Arrow with a line at the Point)
^
Resistor
^
Pin 2 >>>>>>^

Pin 2 and Pin 1 are on a Resistor, with the funny Arrow with a line that's not on the original part from 88. The new one is part # 413182 from Advance Auto Parts.

This relay, and the one previous, also have a 4th pin on the switch that appears to be obsolete.

Again, there is a Red/Light Green, a Black/Light Green, a Red, and a Yellow connectors to this relay. In the manual is refers to this relay as the EEC Power Relay, so I'd guess something to do with the TFI module. It IS NOT the Fuel Pump relay though.

freerider6_9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok so with what i can get out of your diagram, you want the following-

1-Red/Light green
2-Black/Light green
3-Yellow
4-N/C
5-Red

A simple test while you have all these wire ripped out of the relay harness is to connect the red and yellow wires to eachother and sepparatly attach the red/light green and black light green to eachother,

This relay is what powers your injectors and many other parts of your system.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
EEC Power relay gives power to the injectors too. The PCM gives the injector firing signal.

If the PCM relay is new then my money is on a bad pickup module.

It gives the engine position signal for the spark, but it would also be used to fire the injectors at the right time.

freerider6_9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
EEC Power relay gives power to the injectors too. The PCM gives the injector firing signal.
QUOTE]

correct, by supplying and taking away the ground of injector.

Bionic711

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Changed the TFI Module this morning, no difference. Same problem persists. Any other ideas?

freerider6_9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Did you fix the relay? make sure all connections are good on it? Without that relay you will have no injector control which means no fuel. Try taking a LITTLE bit of starting fluid or eather and have someone spray a bit into the intake while you crank, if it starts you will know which circuits you may have to chase

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Get a test light, set it up between the battery positive post and the coil negative post. Then have someone crank the engine. If that light isn't flashing I'd get a new pickup module.

Bionic711

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Which part exactly is the pickup module? Also, there's only 3 wires directly to the ignition coil, a green/yellow, and 2 red/light green. Doesnt seem to be black ground. the green/yellow goes to a 1'' cylinder object that looks like it connects to some grounds though.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Very few wires on cars actually go by red/positive black/negative. The green/yellow wire on your coil is the tach wire and also the ground.

Bionic711

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Still need to know what the 'pickup module' is.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals