• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

the brumby build

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
about 7 years ago, my dad and i started building a b2 for some mild wheeling. chopped the top cuz we thought we were the first! TRS showed me wrong! but either way its been growing up and up and up since then and now i'm about to swap my 7.5 rear end for a 8.8. and do a custom (first time maybe) 64 chevy leafs UNDER the frame. i'm debating on a shackle reversal or not because the bracket for the reverse shackle is going to be hanging pretty low with my 6400's. thoughts?

i bought the 8.8 for 200 bucks with explorer leaves, 3.73 gears, LS, and drum brakes. came off a 94 4 door. the chevy 64's were off a 1500 chevy in a junkyard, came from canada so a torch was a bit more handy than the wrenches. the 6400's i bought instead of building cuz i couldnt pass up the price, 30 bucks.

i'll be going down to my buddy's shop in phx in the next few weeks to install the 8.8, weld the axle tubes, and finish up this project.

here is a few teaser pics for now

this is the new shackle on a explorer pack, stock rear end for now.

this is the measurement from the ground to my fender, which has been cut, but many years ago so i'm not sure how much. tires are 33x12.50's

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
making the fenders more modern

my old fenders were cut, and then had some small 3/4in (?) angle welded on, holes drilled and layed part of some clear braided nylon hose over them to keep the mud from spraying everywhere. i thought i looked cool, but over time the hose got brittle, and yellowed, and everyone said it was time to do something bout it.

started as this

then

and then

finished! with stainless 10x32 allens and black nuts on the bottom. just for color and to fill the holes

you can kinda see that i painted the grill satin black again, (i repaint it about twice a year), and i blacked out my front turn signals. the black on the fenders wraps from the front fender to the rear and around the back side as well

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
sorry its been awhile. been pondering idea's for front and rear suspension. as well as working towards a donor explorer for the 4.0!

this weeks project is my 8.8, locker, 64in chevy's, and reverse shackle build.

got a slow start because i don't have jacks big enough to lift the tires up off the ground while mounted on the frame! got some 4x4 blocks and made some 10in stands for under the 3 ton jacks.
then i pulled the rear axle out, along with the stiff explorer springs, and beltech shackles.
next i need to work on grinding down the rivet's to the front and rear leaf spring brackets on the frame, and the body mount as well.
the body mount will be redesigned to sit higher but keep the body at the same height, then the front leaf bracket will be moved forward, and the rear bracket will get a drop bracket and it will get welded into place, allowing me to use the beltech shackle, with the reverse shackle as well. then i need to build the 64's, install bushings, and set the pinion angle on the 8.8. bolt up and see how she sits.

i'm concerned on how high or low its going to be, but if i need i'll get the springs rearched. looking for about 5in of lift, then i'll cut the fenders more, and stuff 35's on it!

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nice, the dog looks like, Dude,,, why are you taking my picture? Feed me! LOL

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
Nice, the dog looks like, Dude,,, why are you taking my picture? Feed me! LOL
yep thats her. she didn't like the drill or high lift either!

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
grinding the leaf spring perch's and stuff off the 8.8

figured out that i have a LS 8.8, need an open carrier for the aussie locker. nother trip to the junk yard i think...

going to grind the brackets off the frame today, get it ready to setup the leaf springs and stuff

also i took my b2 5leaf pack, and added everything but the main leaf, to the chevy 64's, this should flex well but i'm worried bout height, we will see how it works when i get this 8.8 under it. i can promise you i'll be messing with the leafs quite a bit to get a good ride and height.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
if you really are speed crazy i suggest not putting the springs under the frame.

and it has been done. but on crawly crazy rigs

the fenders are a neat twist too!

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
if you really are speed crazy i suggest not putting the springs under the frame.

and it has been done. but on crawly crazy rigs

the fenders are a neat twist too!
no the springs are going on the side of the frame now, after much research, it would require a bunch of things like a fuel cell, etc. so i'll go on the side!

and thanks for the fender compliments! sadly i think it will all go away when i get things bolted up. the 33's in the back won't stuff with the wider 8.8... :sad:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
no the springs are going on the side of the frame now, after much research, it would require a bunch of things like a fuel cell, etc. so i'll go on the side!

and thanks for the fender compliments! sadly i think it will all go away when i get things bolted up. the 33's in the back won't stuff with the wider 8.8... :sad:

welllllllll....keep cuttin!:icon_hornsup:

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
damn those rivet's are tough, i've done a few, but i didn't remember them being that tough!

might be looking for some new leaf springs hangers!!!!

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
ok i started looking for new leaf spring hangers, and wholy moses does the stealership screw ppl over. could only find the front leaf spring hangers, and they wanted 245 bucks a piece!!!

so i researched a bit, and come to find out, the f150's used the exact same hangers, just a bit bigger, and for what i'm doing, that should work out just fine. luckily a buddy had three outta the four i needed, so 40 bucks later i have 3 brackets in the garage. searched for the fourth one, and dorman (autozone) can order it, 38 bucks.

you pick 1000 dollars at a dealership, or 80?

question for you welder guys, what is considered a "low hydrogen rod" i was going to have my 8.8 axle tube's welded, but i'm not sure what rod i should have my welder use! then the other thing to watch for is not to let one part of the tube get too hot and warp correct? anything else?

nate09

Reaction score
rod numbers are (for example, 7018) the 70 indicates tensile strength, in this case 70,000 psi. the last 2 indicate type of coating and current to be used. the second to last digit tells positions it can be used in (1 is all position, 2 is flat position and horizontal fillets).

the low hydrogren rods are xx18 and xx28. 7018s a common rod and real easy to use, its what id use to weld. however, these rods need to be kept in a rod oven or dried in a rod oven, the moisture in the atmosphere will contaminate their coating.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
rod numbers are (for example, 7018) the 70 indicates tensile strength, in this case 70,000 psi. the last 2 indicate type of coating and current to be used. the second to last digit tells positions it can be used in (1 is all position, 2 is flat position and horizontal fillets).

the low hydrogren rods are xx18 and xx28. 7018s a common rod and real easy to use, its what id use to weld. however, these rods need to be kept in a rod oven or dried in a rod oven, the moisture in the atmosphere will contaminate their coating.
i was taught that once long long ago. i'm use to welding with 7018. and 308 stainless, but is the 7018 low hydrogen? or low enough for the axle tubes?

nate09

Reaction score
yes 7018 is low hydrogen. i dont think there are varying levels of hydrogen in welding rods.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
yes 7018 is low hydrogen. i dont think there are varying levels of hydrogen in welding rods.
hmm. ok. in the tech library it just says to use a low hydrogen rod. guess 7018 it is then!

thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals