Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Engine & Transmission Forums > V6 Forums > 4.0 Liter Forum

Old 08-17-2010, 12:09 AM   #1
Dweano

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XL
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driving/Off-Roading
Dweano will become famous soon enough
Default Please Read: Vapor Canister/Evap System Thing...Fix? Or Can I Remove?

Alright so my check engine light is on...has been ever since I have bought my truck...the guy I bought it from said it was something to do with the gas cap or something. I got the code checked at a shop and they said there is something a lil hose thing that can get plugged or whatever. But I didn't do anything it. I took it to a shop one time and they tried some stuff but the mechanic said his best guess was it needs a new Vapor canister.

Now. I checked on rockauto (parts site of champions!) and there like...50 bucks to replace...I could probably get one at a junkyard cheaper. But I get to thinking...really there just a liability. There a possibility for vacuum leaks and things messing up again and throwing codes...theres one hose that attaches to the gas tank correct? I'm going to pull the bed sometime and check that out eventually.

So my questions are:

1: Is the code I have now putting my truck into limp mode or anything? I do get pretty crappy gas mileage...I can't remember the code...its something like Evap Purge...I'm really not sure. I do not have a code reader Something related to the whole evap thing.

2: If I removed the whole system, (block off the hole in the tank, removed canister and everything) what would the effects be in terms of power and mileage?

3: I know the trucks computer would be pissed at me if I did that, and I eventually want to get a good tuner (like SCT X3 or whatever...the good ones...not just a superchips thing)...so could I get a tuner to make the computer happy without the whole evap system? (And potentially EGR removed...thats another thing that can plug up and go wrong...I'd rather eliminate potential things that could go wrong that really don't benefit me)

Thanks for taking the time to read and any help you may give me

P.S. I really don't care about the environment...and Saskatchewan is not stingy with emissions...I live by a mine that gives out more pollution in one day then my truck ever will in its whole life
Dweano is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 08-17-2010, 01:21 AM   #2
Sasquatch_Ryda
Coast Mountain Crawlers

Vehicle Year: 1991/2002/2008
Vehicle Model: Ranger/SportTrac/SuperDuty
I use this vehicle for: Play toy/Daily Driver/Tow Rig
Sasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Sasquatch_Ryda

The code would really be helpful. It is usually the Evap purge solenoid that goes for a crap. Its under the hood on the drivers side. There will be a vacuum line from the intake, to the purge solenoid, then it will go to the evap canister.
1967 Mustang Coupe - 289, c4, pretty much stock
Sasquatch_Ryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
AgPete139
09/2014 OTOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT Xcab
I use this vehicle for: DD, hauling stuff, & getting me everywhere a car can't
AgPete139 is a splendid one to beholdAgPete139 is a splendid one to beholdAgPete139 is a splendid one to beholdAgPete139 is a splendid one to beholdAgPete139 is a splendid one to beholdAgPete139 is a splendid one to beholdAgPete139 is a splendid one to beholdAgPete139 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch_Ryda View Post
The code would really be helpful. It is usually the Evap purge solenoid that goes for a crap. Its under the hood on the drivers side. There will be a vacuum line from the intake, to the purge solenoid, then it will go to the evap canister.
I have actually taken off that purge solenoid, shook it, sprayed it with carb cleaner, shook it again, and it worked. You may be just as lucky.

Pete

ADD YOURSELF TO THE TRS MEMBERS MAP !!!
http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...d.php?t=128467
AgPete139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
Dweano

Is this the purge soleniod?

Also...what is this thing? Haha

Old 08-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
Sasquatch_Ryda
Coast Mountain Crawlers

Sasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud of

The second picture is the solenoid
Old 08-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
Dweano

Second picture? Alright...I'll try carb cleaning that thing..whats in the first picture then? haha
Old 08-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
Sasquatch_Ryda
Coast Mountain Crawlers

That is the PF (Purge Flow sensor)

The diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) associated with an electrical fault of the PF sensor are P1444 (PF sensor circuit low input) and P1445 (PF sensor circuit high input). The DTC associated with an electrical fault of the EVAP canister purge valve is P0443 (EVAP canister purge valve circuit malfunction).
Old 08-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
Dweano

Ahh alright. Well I'll try carb cleaning the solenoid...disconnect the battery and see if the CEL stays off. If I disconnected the battery it would usually stay off until I filled the gas tank up again
Old 08-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
Dweano

Ok so I finally got around to this...I managed to wriggle off the hose on the one end but then check out the other end:

Its like a hard plastic hose formed onto the other end...how do I get that off without breaking things?
Old 08-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
Big Jim M

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Model: Ranger FX-4 level 2
I use this vehicle for: DD with 31X10.50 Firestone LE's offroad with 31X10.50 MT's
Big Jim M will become famous soon enoughBig Jim M will become famous soon enough

Take your GRILL LIGHTER and heat it up! When soft it should slide right off.
Big Jim
Big Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote