Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Kona'
June 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Dazzlin' Dave'
June 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
LordVngr

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Ranger
Vehicle Model: STX Supercab
LordVngr is on a distinguished road
Default How big a trailer can I pull with my ranger

Hey guys

Questions for you. I'm toying with the idea of buying a trailer to go camping with and wondering how big a trailer can I pull with my ranger.

I have a 1989 Supercab ranger 4x4 with a 5 speed 2.9 liter V6. It also has a 3.73 limited slip rearend in it. The truck has a class 3 reciever hitch on it. Finally there is a factory lift kit on it about 2 1/2 or 3 inches and a 2 inch body lift. Not sure if that matters but wanted to throw that out there.

I have 2 questions?

1 - How big of standard trailer/camper can I pull with the truck and not have any issues with it or put a undue strain on the truck.

2 - What about a 5th wheel type tralier. I see some pretty nice small 5th wheels out there. How big a 5th wheel can I reasonable pull.

My own opnion is I should beable to pull a little bit bigger 5th wheel then a regular trailer because of the weight distribution but dont know this for sure because I have no experience with pulling anything with the truck before except a small motorcycle trailer

On a side note the roof of my truck was rusting and I tried a product called Extend but the rust came right back. So I tried that product called Rust bullet. Good stuff guys. thanks for the tip.......

LV

Last edited by LordVngr; 09-02-2010 at 01:49 AM.
LordVngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 09-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
country0001

Vehicle Year: 1990,92
Vehicle Make: Ford,Ford
Vehicle Model: B2,F150
I use this vehicle for: tearin up the gravel roads
country0001 has a spectacular aura aboutcountry0001 has a spectacular aura about

I've pulled my 16' flatbed trailer w about a 2500 lb tractor on it w my B2. it was a chore, but it did it.

Never seen a 5th wheel or gooseneck on a ranger. I don't think that the rearend would hold up very well.

Not to mention that the springs are rated for less than that of a half tons.
BUILD THREAD http://www.therangerstation.com/foru....php?p=767381#
country0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
crusin93

Vehicle Year: 1987, 1998
Vehicle Make: Ford Ranger
Vehicle Model: 1998 xlt supercab 4.0 4x4 1987 xlt supercab 2.9 4x4
I use this vehicle for: R+D wasting greenbacks
crusin93 is on a distinguished road

Nither have I. Really makes no sense to consider a 5th wheel when the axle is rated at 500# or something ridiclous like that. I'd call U-haul. They will tell you exactly what the truck is rated for and in what configuration, LEGALLY.
crusin93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
LordVngr

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Ranger
Vehicle Model: STX Supercab
LordVngr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by country0001 View Post
I've pulled my 16' flatbed trailer w about a 2500 lb tractor on it w my B2. it was a chore, but it did it.

Never seen a 5th wheel or gooseneck on a ranger. I don't think that the rearend would hold up very well.

Not to mention that the springs are rated for less than that of a half tons.
Hmmmm, didnt think about that. Shows how much towing experience I have. The reason I thought you could pull a bigger 5th wheel trailer then regular trailer is because all the weight is on the bed/frame of the truck and not being pulled behind. You make some valid points though and something to think about for sure. Thanks.....

LV
LordVngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
adsm08
EOAH

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Elevenses
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

I've pulled a 12x5 trailer that weighs +500# by itself, loaded to the gills with mostly metal shelving, on the bumper, with almost the same truck you have. You have better gears than I do.

I would NOT under any circumstances put a 5th wheel in a Ranger, even if you could find one that would fit a Ranger, one that has anything less than a V-8 and FS axles wouldn't really be able to tow anything that is heavy enough to need a 5th wheel.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

HELP REPEAL OBAMACARE

HELP REPEAL WASHINGTON DC
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
97RangerXLT
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT Supercab 4 x 4
I use this vehicle for: Putting wear and tear on my tools
97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to 97RangerXLT

something else to think about, your ranger will probably not have too many problems towing a camper, but you want to make sure you can stop it if you need too. a heavy trailer will push you right through an intersection if you don't have the brakes to stop it.

If it is on the heavy side and you are planning on towing it up and down hills, get a good set of trailer brakes installed.

AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
After a 5 year review of the work of automotive engineers I have determined that every last one of them is an atheist. Looking carefully at their work it is quite apparent that not a single one believes in intelligent design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc1024 View Post
Hey - we all have to help each other. Otherwise, we'd become an S10 forum and we'd all kill ourselves.
http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...ad.php?t=13474
97RangerXLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
heptofite

Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Model: Bronco II XLT
I use this vehicle for: Being Totally Awesome
heptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusin93 View Post
Nither have I. Really makes no sense to consider a 5th wheel when the axle is rated at 500# or something ridiclous like that. I'd call U-haul. They will tell you exactly what the truck is rated for and in what configuration, LEGALLY.
no such thing as laws regarding towing weight on a ranger.

legally, you could have a gooseneck trailer hooked to your ranger with a bumper pull hooked to that, and you wouldn't be breaking any laws.

or you could have a steel coil in the bed of your truck, and again, there are no laws stopping you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
I think Rangers are pussy trucks. Mine has gotten me so much pussy, if I have to fix it every day for the rest of my life, it has still earned it's keep.
heptofite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
rockin86ranger

Vehicle Year: 1986,1988
Vehicle Model: Ranger,BroncoII
I use this vehicle for: Everything
rockin86ranger is a jewel in the roughrockin86ranger is a jewel in the roughrockin86ranger is a jewel in the rough

http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...d.php?p=504078

heres a 5th wheel ranger
"I prefer not to think of it as a minivan, but instead as a MONSTER HATCHBACK WITH A REALLY BITCHIN DOOR! "
rockin86ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
feellnfroggy

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD for right now.
feellnfroggy is a jewel in the roughfeellnfroggy is a jewel in the roughfeellnfroggy is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to feellnfroggy

Dont ever underestimate the guesses of hte newbs. They have a right to offer input as well. Also you never know when a newb will have a point of view us complacent vets forget to think about.

Anyways back to topic. You can reasonably pull a good sized trailer, as long as you have a well maintained braking system and properly setup towing system. IE the proper electronics if your trailer has a trailer brake, correct weight distribution system your trailer is setup for it. Proper gearing, lighting, and of course the common sense to properly drive the trailer you have hitched up. Meaning knowing when to use your OD(if automatic) or 5th (if manual). Your camping trailer will be alot different than your motorcycle trailer in aerodynamics, weight, bulk, etc. Im sure you get the point. Just about any popup style camper you can pull. (with one or two of the very large exceptions) You can pull the bumper mount fullsize campers if they are a more compact size. nothing over 14 ft I would say.

You have a 5spd with 3.73's that automatically gives you an advantage over some of the older rangers with higher gears, but I would still suggest maybe investing in some 4.10's. Gander mountain has some flat trailer styles, that have the popout tents on them and are a little more room for a little less weight than popups, but allow you pack and stack more gear. (added weight of course). How far will you drive with it? How fast or slow are you willing to drive. What fuel sacrifices will you make. All these affect your trailer decisions. Just some thing to consider. BUt simply put, get something you can afford to safely drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopman View Post
Like I say to the newbies who join us: "Pull up a chair, grab a cold drink, & watch for low-flying BS!!!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shran View Post
Used to happen to my mom's Grand Marquis all the time when we took it offroad. Don't worry about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopman View Post
Agreed. "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" doesn't begin to cover the ugliness of this thing.
feellnfroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #10
robertc1024

Vehicle Year: nada
Vehicle Model: 2008 F150
I use this vehicle for: teach my boys to not get rid of a Ranger.
robertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond reputerobertc1024 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, boyz. I pulled out my factory original manual for my '88. Maximum gross combined weight rating (GWCr) for a 2.9 and 3.73's is 6000#'s. Trailer weight from 2000-3000 lbs. My 3.45 rear end is rated for a trailer weight of 2000#.
robertc1024 is offline   Reply With Quote