Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'MastuhWaffles'
November 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'ATX'
November 2014 MTOTM
 

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Styling & Electrical > Heating & Air Conditioning

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
thebigyellowtruck
Member
 
thebigyellowtruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Boston, MI
Posts: 130
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: ranger xlt
I use this vehicle for: daily driver, hunting companion
Rep Power: 11
thebigyellowtruck is on a distinguished road
Question why is my 1997 ranger not getting heat?

my heater core is not leaking and my thermostat gauge is reading the way it should. Can anyone think of why I dont have heat. It worked last week, but now I just get cold air when i turn the heat on. Thanks in advance.
thebigyellowtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

 Reminder:

 We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

 Click HERE to see the banner map.

 Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 09-15-2010, 07:28 AM   #2
modelageek
Member
 
modelageek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,126
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ext Cab, Edge, 2WD, M5OD, 4WABS, AC, 112k.
Rep Power: 16
modelageek will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigyellowtruck View Post
my heater core is not leaking and my thermostat gauge is reading the way it should. Can anyone think of why I dont have heat. It worked last week, but now I just get cold air when i turn the heat on. Thanks in advance.
do you have AC? if so you should have a "heater control valve". It should be inline with the heater hose. it shuts of the heat when the ac is on.

I saw earlier that someone suggestion the blend door, however i thought the symptom of a bad blendoor was max heat or AC out of the defrost(the default setting)..........you can go to heatertreater.net and read all about it. They have an easier solution for repairing the blend door if that is your issue. but first check the heater control valve and see that the hose feeding the heater core is getting hot.
__________________
2004 Ext Cab, 4WD, 4.0, Auto, 135k(engine is out of a 2009 Ranger with 87k)

2004 Ford Ranger Edge, Ext Cab, 2WD, 3.0, 5 speed, 116,000, AC. (SOLD)

1999 Ford Ranger, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 2WD, no AC, 150k (SOLD)
modelageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
thebigyellowtruck
Member
 
thebigyellowtruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Boston, MI
Posts: 130
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: ranger xlt
I use this vehicle for: daily driver, hunting companion
Rep Power: 11
thebigyellowtruck is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelageek View Post
do you have AC? if so you should have a "heater control valve". It should be inline with the heater hose. it shuts of the heat when the ac is on.

I saw earlier that someone suggestion the blend door, however i thought the symptom of a bad blendoor was max heat or AC out of the defrost(the default setting)..........you can go to heatertreater.net and read all about it. They have an easier solution for repairing the blend door if that is your issue. but first check the heater control valve and see that the hose feeding the heater core is getting hot.
my ac works fine. when i turn on defrost i get no heat or when i just turn on the vents. I'll look into the heater control valve. thanks. I just want to get this fixed before winter.
thebigyellowtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
modelageek
Member
 
modelageek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,126
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ext Cab, Edge, 2WD, M5OD, 4WABS, AC, 112k.
Rep Power: 16
modelageek will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigyellowtruck View Post
my ac works fine. when i turn on defrost i get no heat or when i just turn on the vents. I'll look into the heater control valve. thanks. I just want to get this fixed before winter.
after the truck is warm and the heat is on feel the heater hose on both sides of the heater control valve. if only one side is hot the valve is not working properly. it works on a vacuum you can go to rockauto.com and see wha tit loooks like there are a few different kinds that they used...........if the hoses is hot you might have a blend door issue or a clogged heater core.
__________________
2004 Ext Cab, 4WD, 4.0, Auto, 135k(engine is out of a 2009 Ranger with 87k)

2004 Ford Ranger Edge, Ext Cab, 2WD, 3.0, 5 speed, 116,000, AC. (SOLD)

1999 Ford Ranger, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 2WD, no AC, 150k (SOLD)
modelageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
hondaxr650
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 611
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver
Rep Power: 11
hondaxr650 will become famous soon enough
Default

Sounds like you may have a broken blend door. Those trucks are known for it. The door binds up in the heater case and causes the blend motor to break the pivot shaft at the top of the door. I've already replaced the one in my 97. Unfortunately, you have to remove the entire dash and heater box to replace it.
hondaxr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
modelageek
Member
 
modelageek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,126
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ext Cab, Edge, 2WD, M5OD, 4WABS, AC, 112k.
Rep Power: 16
modelageek will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaxr650 View Post
Sounds like you may have a broken blend door. Those trucks are known for it. The door binds up in the heater case and causes the blend motor to break the pivot shaft at the top of the door. I've already replaced the one in my 97. Unfortunately, you have to remove the entire dash and heater box to replace it.
you can fix it the heatertreater.net way. the kit is expensive but cheaper than pulling the dash..........you also can just do it the way heatetreater( you cut the plenum with a dremmel tool) does it just.

I am trying to get the OP to feel both sides of the heater hose were the "heater control valve" is to see if the valve is stuck closed...........if that is not the issue you are proably right and it is the blend door
__________________
2004 Ext Cab, 4WD, 4.0, Auto, 135k(engine is out of a 2009 Ranger with 87k)

2004 Ford Ranger Edge, Ext Cab, 2WD, 3.0, 5 speed, 116,000, AC. (SOLD)

1999 Ford Ranger, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 2WD, no AC, 150k (SOLD)
modelageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
thebigyellowtruck
Member
 
thebigyellowtruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Boston, MI
Posts: 130
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: ranger xlt
I use this vehicle for: daily driver, hunting companion
Rep Power: 11
thebigyellowtruck is on a distinguished road
Default

i turned the heat on after checking on either side of the valve. suddenly it is working again. any suggestions on what could fix itself?
thebigyellowtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #8
greenpus
Member
 
greenpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 135
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: 31x12.5x15 rubber on 15x10 wheels
Rep Power: 12
greenpus is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigyellowtruck View Post
i turned the heat on after checking on either side of the valve. suddenly it is working again. any suggestions on what could fix itself?
if air gets into the heater core, it needs to be bled which means taking the exit heater core hose off and running engine until air is out of the heater core. Also the valve could have been stuck and moving it unstuck it or even knocked the hoses around enough to move the air bubble in the hose. When I bleed the air out of my heater core I usually run the truck until thermostat is open and the hoses are pressurized. I then pop the little hose off the heater core hose that runs to the throttlebody. it squirts for a second but it works. Make sure you have extra fluid in the over-flow tank so when the radiator cools, it sucks the extra fluid out of the over-flow tank to refill what you squirted. Also during the bleeding process the temp settings need to be on AC VENT and HOT with fan on full blast

Last edited by greenpus; 11-12-2010 at 08:45 AM.
greenpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 PM.




1999-2014 / 959 Media LLC / All Rights Reserved