Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Kona'
June 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Dazzlin' Dave'
June 2014 MTOTM

Old 10-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
Mike Tonon

Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
Mike Tonon is on a distinguished road
Default I need coolant, what kind???

The book says yellow, will green work? Also, the truck is 3 1/2 years old with 20,000 miles. should it be changed yet?
2007 Ford Ranger xlt, long bed, 4x4, A/C, 4.0L, manual, 4:10 - aluminum tool box, Alcoa/Ford rims w/BFG tires, spray in bed liner, Snow-Bear snow plow... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2643935
Mike Tonon is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 10-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
JohnnyO
Moderator Emeritus

Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle Model: Sport Trac
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver
JohnnyO is a splendid one to beholdJohnnyO is a splendid one to beholdJohnnyO is a splendid one to beholdJohnnyO is a splendid one to beholdJohnnyO is a splendid one to beholdJohnnyO is a splendid one to beholdJohnnyO is a splendid one to behold

I always use the Prestone that says it's compatible with anything. Flush it good with water first. 20,000 isn't a lot of miles but the time can still cause electrolysis because of the different metals it's exposed to, so after 3 1/2 years I'd say change it. In my vehicles I flush them with tap water but use distilled water for the final fill with the antifreeze.
"It is not the multitude of ale houses that occasions a general disposition toward drunkenness among the common people; but rather disposition arising from other causes necessarily gives employment to a multitude of ale houses." -- Adam Smith, 1776
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
exbass94

Vehicle Year: 2006, 1994
Vehicle Model: Ranger, Explorer
I use this vehicle for: Pavement Poundin'
exbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really nice

Use Zerex G-05 ONLY. Available at Napa. (Napa part #ZXG051)

Or go to the Ford dealer and pick up some Motorcraft Premium Gold coolant. The "all makes/models" is NOT the right stuff, and is not compatible with the factory coolant!

One more thing, color means nothing. Just because two coolants are yellow, doesn't necessarily mean they have the same chemistry and are compatible.

I'd say it's a little early to change it. It certainly wouldn't hurt to do it now, but it'll still be good for another year or two.
1994 Ford Bronco XLT (project)

Last edited by exbass94; 10-12-2010 at 10:34 PM.
exbass94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
nitrofan1
Man without a Ranger

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Subaru
Vehicle Model: Forester
I use this vehicle for: Everything and then some
nitrofan1 is a jewel in the roughnitrofan1 is a jewel in the roughnitrofan1 is a jewel in the rough

As long as it's a "Global" mix it will work. G5 if you want OE. Different brands may be yellow or greenish yellow. Make sure the jug says all makes all models.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
exbass94

Vehicle Year: 2006, 1994
Vehicle Model: Ranger, Explorer
I use this vehicle for: Pavement Poundin'
exbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrofan1 View Post
As long as it's a "Global" mix it will work. G5 if you want OE. Different brands may be yellow or greenish yellow. Make sure the jug says all makes all models.
"All makes/models" coolant is essentially the same thing as Dexcool. I would NOT put Dexcool in any vehicle that wasn't designed for it. You know that Ford is slowly switching over to Dexcool in some 2011 vehicles, particularly the new v8s in the Mustang and F150? They would have started in 2010, but the 4.6 and 5.4 v8s were NOT DESIGNED for it, so they waited one more year for the new engines to come out, which are already designed for Dexcool.

Look at the back of a jug of G-05. It specifically states it is NOT compatible with OAT (organic acid technology AKA Dexcool) coolants.

Google Dexcool sludge and see what happens when you use Dexcool in a system not designed for it. Heck, it even happens in some systems that ARE designed for it.

I'll say it one more time: Do not use "all makes/models" coolant in your truck! G-05 ONLY!!!
1994 Ford Bronco XLT (project)
exbass94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
Mike Tonon

Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle Model: Ranger
Mike Tonon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exbass94 View Post
"All makes/models" coolant is essentially the same thing as Dexcool. I would NOT put Dexcool in any vehicle that wasn't designed for it. You know that Ford is slowly switching over to Dexcool in some 2011 vehicles, particularly the new v8s in the Mustang and F150? They would have started in 2010, but the 4.6 and 5.4 v8s were NOT DESIGNED for it, so they waited one more year for the new engines to come out, which are already designed for Dexcool.

Look at the back of a jug of G-05. It specifically states it is NOT compatible with OAT (organic acid technology AKA Dexcool) coolants.

Google Dexcool sludge and see what happens when you use Dexcool in a system not designed for it. Heck, it even happens in some systems that ARE designed for it.

I'll say it one more time: Do not use "all makes/models" coolant in your truck! G-05 ONLY!!!
I'm glad I asked about this. I thought there were only 2 or 3 types of coolant and mine looked greenish, so I was going to just use green. Then I thought I better make sure and the manual said what you guys are saying. The guy at advance auto said that the "any make and model" coolant would be fine. But the guy at napa told me its technically not.

BTW, I flushed out my 87 2.9l cooling system back in high school and put the orange stuff in. Seemed to work, but after a few years I flushed it out and put green back in. Sometimes, durng the last few years I owned it, the engine would suddenly overheat and holding the throttle usually brought it back down. Was the coolant mixture clogging the system.

thanks for the help
2007 Ford Ranger xlt, long bed, 4x4, A/C, 4.0L, manual, 4:10 - aluminum tool box, Alcoa/Ford rims w/BFG tires, spray in bed liner, Snow-Bear snow plow... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2643935
Mike Tonon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
rrbrian222

Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: Ranger SuperCab
I use this vehicle for: Rust/Corrosion Experiment
rrbrian222 will become famous soon enoughrrbrian222 will become famous soon enough

Here's some info I stumbled upon over the summer when I was doing my coolant change. I hadn't realized how many different blends of coolant are out there now days, but this article kinda cleared up the confusion for me. Be sure to check the links at the bottom of the article too.

http://howtomatthew.blogspot.com/200...ntifreeze.html

White, Straight, Republican, Male. How else can I piss you off today?
rrbrian222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
nitrofan1
Man without a Ranger

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Subaru
Vehicle Model: Forester
I use this vehicle for: Everything and then some
nitrofan1 is a jewel in the roughnitrofan1 is a jewel in the roughnitrofan1 is a jewel in the rough

Dexcool and global do the same job but aren't the same. Dexcool won't mix with anything. Put Dexcool into something with green or yellow antifreeze and you'll get lumpy chocolate sludge. Same if you reverse it and add something to Dexcool. Global does the 5yr 50,000 mile deal like dexcool but is Propylene Glycol. It simulates the old green Etheline Glycol without the short life span. Plus Dexcool is orange so it's easy to identify to GM owners.

And add only distilled water to antifreeze no matter what the type. Tap water's impurities will shorten the life span of any antifreeze. Or go 50/50 pre-mix.