Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'PlumCrazy'
October 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Ted R.'
October 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Special Interest Vehicle Use > Towing

Notices

Towing For questions about towing or to show off your tow rig.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
jobar

Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger Edge
I use this vehicle for: Everyday driving, occasional play toy
jobar is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for truck to tow 5th wheel

Hey guys, I didnt know if this is the right place to post this but here goes. My family has recently purchased a 40 foot, 5th wheel everest. Im looking for a truck that can safely tow it. The GVWR is 14,080. Could a 3/4 ton truck handle it safely?

2001 Ranger Edge, 3.0, 7.5 rearend, 3.73's, 2wd, westin safari bar with 2 5' airplane landing lights.

2004 Explorer, 4.0, 2wd

1990 Mustang Gt-Sold
jobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 10-24-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
Sasquatch_Ryda
Coast Mountain Crawlers

Vehicle Year: 1991/2002/2008
Vehicle Model: Ranger/SportTrac/SuperDuty
I use this vehicle for: Play toy/Daily Driver/Tow Rig
Sasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Sasquatch_Ryda

I would be looking for a dual rear wheel 1 ton personally for something that big. Preferably diesel.
1967 Mustang Coupe - 289, c4, pretty much stock
Sasquatch_Ryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:11 AM   #3
fordwheelinman

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: Explorer 4 door
I use this vehicle for: DD
fordwheelinman is on a distinguished road

look for a truck with the longest wheelbase you can afford. A dually couldnt hurt either. Id be looking for at least a ext cab long bed, but if it were me the least id be looking at was a crew cab long bed. 2wd would be better for the open road, less dead weight to lug around if you dont need it. The longer the wheelbase the more stability and control you will have over the trailer. A dually is only gonna add to the ability of the rear of the truck to control the lateral stability of the load.
fordwheelinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
jobar

Yea, lateral stability is my biggest concern. I've towed trailers up to 20 foot, but they were all open trailers. I've never tow an enclosed trailer before. I keep hearing that it's alot different, towing an enclosed trailer because of the wind factor that it has on it. I just want to be as safe as possible.

2001 Ranger Edge, 3.0, 7.5 rearend, 3.73's, 2wd, westin safari bar with 2 5' airplane landing lights.

2004 Explorer, 4.0, 2wd

1990 Mustang Gt-Sold
Old 10-25-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
haulasswithclass

Vehicle Year: 91
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: Explorer SAS 4.88s dana 44 Alburn E locker and 9" with detroit. Duel cases and 37 inch iroks.
I use this vehicle for: everything
haulasswithclass is on a distinguished road
Default towing

I tow a 33 towhauler with slides with my 2003 ford f250 single wheel truck with a 4" lift and 35" tire and it tows great. Not sure what it ways with the rig and all the gear but its pretty heavy. I did put air bags on the back to help the truck not sag, But i wouldnt of had to. I also but the banks big hoss kit on it to but that was just for fun.

Last edited by haulasswithclass; 10-25-2010 at 06:46 PM.
haulasswithclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
tlandreth

Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver
tlandreth is on a distinguished road

We tow ours with a 2008 Dodge 2500 4 door, short bed 4x4. It has no problem towing the trailer anywhere and has plenty of power. My dad doesn't want a Ford Super Duty until something as reliable as the 7.3 comes back. A fifth wheel hitch will very easily clear the bed, however if you want to put alot of material in the bed, the long bed would be best.
tlandreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
jobar

I really want a 2500 dodge, because ive become a big fan of the cummings diesel. But, I wasnt sure how a single rear wheel truck would handle that big of a load. Ive got a buddy that pulls a 33 or 35 footer with a 2500 silverado, but he even recommeded I get a dual rear wheel truck. Thats why I was asking for your guys input.

2004 Explorer, 4.0, 2wd

1990 Mustang Gt-Sold
Old 10-25-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
02RangerXLT

Vehicle Year: 2002
02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlandreth View Post
We tow ours with a 2008 Dodge 2500 4 door, short bed 4x4. It has no problem towing the trailer anywhere and has plenty of power. My dad doesn't want a Ford Super Duty until something as reliable as the 7.3 comes back. A fifth wheel hitch will very easily clear the bed, however if you want to put alot of material in the bed, the long bed would be best.
Sadly, due to emissions, all hope of an engine as good as the 7.3 has gone down the drain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobar View Post
I really want a 2500 dodge, because ive become a big fan of the cummings diesel. But, I wasnt sure how a single rear wheel truck would handle that big of a load. Ive got a buddy that pulls a 33 or 35 footer with a 2500 silverado, but he even recommeded I get a dual rear wheel truck. Thats why I was asking for your guys input.
Just for reference, it is not a "Cummings", it is a "Cummins", no "G".

You oughta just get a Dodge 3500, Cummins, Crew Cab (Or whatever dodge calls their crew cab) dually diesel, and call it good. You really can't beat that combo. You could also add an exhaust brake or an engine brake to the truck once you get it, however, Chevy's tow/haul mode does well at slowing the truck down also.
Huked on fonikz workded good fer me!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.5L_STX View Post
meh, :kicks dirt: :walks away:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrian222 View Post
Somewhere, a village in Kenya is missing its idiot.
02RangerXLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:50 PM   #9
tlandreth

Vehicle Year: 1995
tlandreth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobar View Post
A 2500 Dodge 4x4 can handle a 40ft Montana fifth wheel very easily. The width of a dually was the deviding factor for us. I personally like the 2009 model F350 SRW as well as the Dodge 3500 SRW.
tlandreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #10
jobar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02RangerXLT View Post

Just for reference, it is not a "Cummings", it is a "Cummins", no "G".
Ha, I didnt even noticed I did that. Thanks for the spell check.

I did some research on the differences between the Ram 2500 and 3500. Not much other than the 3500 comes with a bigger axle, bigger brakes, and an extra leaf spring in the pack. Which doesnt sound like much but its an like extra 2200-3000 GVWR. Im leaning more towards the 3500 because, its more stable with dual wheels, and it has more GVWR which would give more peace of mind.

2004 Explorer, 4.0, 2wd

1990 Mustang Gt-Sold