• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Spindle Bearing Seal

nateobie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
1994 B4000 4wd. I am replacing the front wheel bearings and spindle bearings but cannot find the spindle bearing seal. I went into ford and requested the part and they gave me the wrong one. When I went back to return the part and get a new one I had him print up the diagram for the front axle and I asked for part number 3B470 (the bearing seal that fits over the bearing on the inside of the spindle). The guy tells me the part has been discontinued and I can buy the spindle with the seal and bearing together for $250, RIGHT!

For the life of me I cannot find the seal anymore (I probably threw it away in some dirty towels). Does anyone know the number printed on the seal and/or where I can find it?

I bought the TIMKEN spindle seal and bearing kit from RockAuto (part number TIM SBK4) but the seals were VERY wrong.

Thanks

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
are u talking about the seal that slides up the axle shaft, and then the spindle goes ove it? I got that and the little bearing inside the spindle from napa for 25 bucks. Try napa

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
This is the one you want.

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
Napa also has them.

Last edited:

nateobie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
No. This seal is actually pressed on the inner side of the spindle against the bearing. I can post a pic later.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Just to check, you aren't talking about the WHEEL BEARING SEAL, are you? The one that goes into the back of the rotor?

I don't believe there IS a seal inside the spindle. The grease should be sealed by the hub O-ring, wheel bearing seal, and another seal that goes on the outside of the axleshaft (the one that everyone else was talking about).

JFA_Spyderman

Law Enforcement
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Yo,
Are you reffering to the bearing race? If so, they are pressed in from the factory when they make the rotor. A while back my rotors were beyond resurfacing, so when i got new ones, the bearing races were already presed in there for me.

Last edited:

nateobie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
The spindle not the rotor. I talked to sales guy at a 4x4 shop in sacramento and he said the number on the seal is 45651. I googled this and got a a napa autopart number NOS13144 from the bronco forum. Again when I called napa they dont know what I'm talking about.

I looked up BRS-88 which crbnunit advised and it looks like the right dimensions on Motorcrafts website but I don't know where there are taking their ID and OD measurements (contact point on the axle and spindle?). I'll just have to purchase that blindly online since all the autoparts stores cant even find BRS88 on there systems.

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
No...

It's the spindle seal. It seals the spindle bearing for the axle shaft...

It's the little seal under the bearing. (this is D28) the D35 part has a plastic thrust washer bonded to it. I couldn't find any in the garage of I'd post a better pic.

I also can't find my napa receipts from last year or I'd give you the part #... go to a napa, they can look it up.

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

Donnie strickland

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That seal is down inside the spindle; it's what NAPA calls the outer spindle seal, which they do indeed have:

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=NOS&PartNumber=13144&Description=Spindle+Hub+Seal+-+Outer+-+Front+Wheel

Nateobie, that NAPA part number NOS13144 is correct. This seal is listed by my Ford dealer as NLA. I had the parts guy look the illustration up on their computer; I pointed at it and said "that's the one I need", and when he called it up it said NLA. He said it is no longer considered necessary since the inner (big) spindle seal does the job well enough.

That may be true, but I like having the insurance of the outer (little) seal. I mean, it's cheap and easy to install. I got mine 3 or 4 years ago at Carparts.com but they no longer stock them either. I checked recently with my local NAPA and they did have them. Print out that page and take it to NAPA, if they don't know which seal you're talking about.

nateobie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Donnie,
This all sounds correct. The part that I received from rockauto was what Totalled posted (BK4). I couldnt figure out why they gave this to me because it doesnt look like anything that is on the truck now. Does anyone know how the BK4 part actually fits on? Since this is not what is on the truck now and no instructions came with the part I am a little confused.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
BRS 88 is the ford number for the seal you want

nateobie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Got it all back together. I went into Napa and got the part I needed. I didnt end up using the seal kit I got online (SBK4) because I would have had to take the axle off to drive the metal seal over the lip on the shaft where it enters the knuckle.

Its all back together with new bearings, seals, a Warn locking hub, and new brakes (rotor too). All this done in a parking garage at my apartment!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals