Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'PlumCrazy'
October 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Ted R.'
October 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
Boggin

Vehicle Model: 89 bronco ii
I use this vehicle for: going inappropriate places
Boggin is a splendid one to beholdBoggin is a splendid one to beholdBoggin is a splendid one to beholdBoggin is a splendid one to beholdBoggin is a splendid one to beholdBoggin is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Boggin Send a message via MSN to Boggin
Default how to test a coil

what is the most accurate way to test a coil? i think i may have mine blown on the mazda. thanks
sold: 89 BII, lifted, bumpers, winch, and stuff
"Dont know how to drive automatic"- Chance. RIP Buddy.
Boggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 11-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
adsm08
EOAH

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Elevenses
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Grab the prop rod or some other part of the body. Then stick your tongue on the end of the coil wire and have someone crank the engine over. If you survive, you need a new coil. If you survive and have brain damage or need a pace maker now, you probably still need a new coil. If you die, you don't need a new coil, you won't be driving anymore.

Seriously though, if it's a distributor system, I like to take the dizzy end of the coil wire and jam a Philips head in it and hold the driver about 1/2 inch from the prop rod. Then have someone crank the engine. If you hear a sharp snap and see blue spark it's good. If you hear a weak crackling and see orange or red spark, coil time.

If you are not in direct contact with the body you shouldn't get zapped.

If it's a coil-pack system do the same thing, but pull the fuel pump relay first. And you gotta do it once for every coil.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

Violence might not be the answer, but it's certainly worth a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah Goldberg
If “violence never solved anything,” cops wouldn’t have guns and slaves may never have been freed.
Shop manuals
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
4.0B2
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
I use this vehicle for: Taking my Money
4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute

can you get a hold of one off another mazda? me having the ex and b2 with an ex's drivetrain, i just swap parts around
4.0B2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
Boggin

Boggin is a splendid one to beholdBoggin is a splendid one to beholdBoggin is a splendid one to beholdBoggin is a splendid one to beholdBoggin is a splendid one to beholdBoggin is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
Grab the prop rod or some other part of the body. Then stick your tongue on the end of the coil wire and have someone crank the engine over. If you survive, you need a new coil. If you survive and have brain damage or need a pace maker now, you probably still need a new coil. If you die, you don't need a new coil, you won't be driving anymore.

Seriously though, if it's a distributor system, I like to take the dizzy end of the coil wire and jam a Philips head in it and hold the driver about 1/2 inch from the prop rod. Then have someone crank the engine. If you hear a sharp snap and see blue spark it's good. If you hear a weak crackling and see orange or red spark, coil time.

If you are not in direct contact with the body you shouldn't get zapped.

If it's a coil-pack system do the same thing, but pull the fuel pump relay first. And you gotta do it once for every coil.

i knew of that way but just wondered if there was a better way, like even some way to do it with a test light or volt meter?
thanks though!
Old 11-25-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
adsm08
EOAH

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Elevenses
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

You can always ohm the primary windings, but that test is ineffective at best since a new coil and a functional but weak coil will usually ohm the same or close, and I've done resistance tests that showed good on non-functional coils.

Using a test light or voltmeter to test it is not a great method for a few reasons. "Slow" firing of the coil is still thousands of times a second. That makes it hard to accurately gauge how well it fires since it is running at thousands of hertz while your eyes can process about 60hz. Also, these coils produce up to 40 Kv and a few hundred amps. that will just fry your meter and probably your test light too.

A load test with the screwdriver or an actual spark tester (which functions much the same way) is the best and most accurate method.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

Violence might not be the answer, but it's certainly worth a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah Goldberg
If “violence never solved anything,” cops wouldn’t have guns and slaves may never have been freed.
Shop manuals
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
lil_Blue_Ford

Vehicle Year: 95
Vehicle Model: F-150
I use this vehicle for: Work
lil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud oflil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud oflil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud oflil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud oflil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud oflil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud oflil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud oflil_Blue_Ford has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to lil_Blue_Ford

So that's how the spark plug tester screwdriver I picked up is supposed to work...

Wasn't sure how it was supposed to be used, I got it without any instructions, just a flat head screwdriver with a spring in the handle and it's labeled "Craftsman Spark Plug Tester." I threw it in my toolbox and it's sat there for the past 4 years or so...
"Blue Ox" 1995 F-150 xl: 4.9L, 5-spd, 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
Some people are too stupid to be in management. That's why they keep getting promoted.
lil_Blue_Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
AgPete139
09/2014 OTOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT Xcab
I use this vehicle for: DD, hauling stuff, & getting me everywhere a car can't
AgPete139 is a splendid one to beholdAgPete139 is a splendid one to beholdAgPete139 is a splendid one to beholdAgPete139 is a splendid one to beholdAgPete139 is a splendid one to beholdAgPete139 is a splendid one to beholdAgPete139 is a splendid one to beholdAgPete139 is a splendid one to behold

Boggin, when did you get the Gen3?

ADD YOURSELF TO THE TRS MEMBERS MAP !!!
http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...d.php?t=128467
AgPete139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
Boggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgPete139 View Post
Boggin, when did you get the Gen3?
this summer, few months ago