Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Rowdy Fitzgerald'
August 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Flit-e' Dave'
August 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:12 AM   #1
nb11

Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger xl
I use this vehicle for: A-B
nb11 is a jewel in the roughnb11 is a jewel in the roughnb11 is a jewel in the roughnb11 is a jewel in the rough
Default Natural gas conversion

Has anybody done it? Know anybody who has? The other day a friend was telling me it's about $3500 to convert your vehicle to run on natural gas (compressed propane), and you get like a $1000 rebate if you do it. And fuel costs approximately $1.30 a gallon! And he said the first year you do it you get a rebate of $.45 a gallon. And you get about 25% better fuel economy, about 20% more power, and have green emissions. Anybody know anything else about this?
nb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 01-13-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
straycat
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 02 06 and 2012
Vehicle Make: Jeeps
Vehicle Model: 02 Grand Cherokee 4x4 4.0L 06 Wrangler X 5.7 Hemi 87 Samurai 4x4 2012 Wrangler JK-8
I use this vehicle for: DD and trail rides
straycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud ofstraycat has much to be proud of

Just google it. It is dangerous if not done right and if in an accident it has a possibility of exploding (it has happened before). One of my off road mags had an article about an off roader who had it done and the tank sits in the truck bed. I can't remember which mag it was...but it was a green Toyota Tacoma if I remember correctly. It looked sharp with prerunner fenders if I remember it right. If I can find the mag (got it the last 1-2 months ago) I will let you know.

99 Ranger XLT 4 door Supercab lifted 2wd
33x12.5x15 KO's on 15x8 AR polished rims
Spare 33 KO mounted flat in bed/custom bed extender
straycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
snoranger
Premium Member

Tetris Champion

Vehicle Year: 94,94,95,01
Vehicle Make: All 10 are Ford
Vehicle Model: Ex, Cobra, Ex, Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Going places.
snoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond repute

Propane will NOT give you a 20% increase in power. With a propane conversion you will lose about 12-14% of your power. (unless the engine is built for propane, ie: higher compression)

You will also get LESS mpg's. The cheaper cost per gallon will make up the difference and it should be a little cheaper to run on propane.

You will get better emissions (if its tuned right) and your engine will last longer. propane is a cleaner fuel and your oil will be cleaner, longer.

FYI: I'm a forklift tech with over 12 years of propane experience. I've converted everything from a 1.1L to 460 fords.
snoranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
pontiacfieroguy

Vehicle Year: 1989, rip1988
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger regular cab short bed, rip extended cab longbed
I use this vehicle for: haulin trash but way too slow to haul ass
pontiacfieroguy will become famous soon enoughpontiacfieroguy will become famous soon enough

do it, if you ever get hungry you can just throw some burgers on your grill
pontiacfieroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERTHING
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

well. natural gas and propane conversions are not the same.

the compressor and tanks for natural gas will be 5000 dollars as its high pressure.

i looked into this 6-7 years ago and was going to use the whole 5.4 power train and system as the costs were perfect to buy the components. i could not figure out a way to compress the gas at home cheap enough to warrant the investment. i regret not buying thge componants and powertrain though. cant find them cheap anywhere now.

good place to find operational ngv is airports and city auctions. they had a whole load of ford 15 passenger vans come in all ngv/gasoline duel fuel.

i could have stripped the whole running systems for 1500 bux. i feel like an idiot for not doing it now.
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
alwaysFlOoReD
Blang - not bling

Vehicle Year: '91, '85, '77
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger, b-II, f-250
I use this vehicle for: 4x4 race, 4x4, towing
alwaysFlOoReD is a splendid one to beholdalwaysFlOoReD is a splendid one to beholdalwaysFlOoReD is a splendid one to beholdalwaysFlOoReD is a splendid one to beholdalwaysFlOoReD is a splendid one to beholdalwaysFlOoReD is a splendid one to beholdalwaysFlOoReD is a splendid one to behold

Here's a site that has answered a few of my questions;
http://fuelsforum.rasoenterprises.co...3594d1f2154148
Use the search feature for answers first though.

Richard
alwaysFlOoReD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERTHING
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

dude....cool site. thanks
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
mentalbreakdown00

Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ
I use this vehicle for: hauling, dirty work/ daily ride
mentalbreakdown00 will become famous soon enough

what snoranger said. but around my area propane is more readily available

Insanity; repeatedly doing the same thing expecting different results.... Albert Einstien
mentalbreakdown00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
snoranger
Premium Member

Tetris Champion

Vehicle Year: 94,94,95,01
Vehicle Make: All 10 are Ford
Vehicle Model: Ex, Cobra, Ex, Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Going places.
snoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb11 View Post
a friend was telling me it's about $3500 to convert your vehicle to run on natural gas (compressed propane)
Lets go back and start with the basics, which one do you want to run? Compressed natural gas (cng) or Propane?
snoranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
nb11

Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger xl
I use this vehicle for: A-B
nb11 is a jewel in the roughnb11 is a jewel in the roughnb11 is a jewel in the roughnb11 is a jewel in the rough

I'm not really considering doing it, mainly because I don't have the money to make the investment to swap. I was just wondering if anybody had and if they could say whether or not it was worth it. And I I believe he was talking about compressed propane, I just said natural gas because I thought it was the same.
nb11 is offline   Reply With Quote