• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New guy, new project: 1988 BII wheeler

leumas12

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Just read the whole thread! AWSOME job! shows what you can do with old school tools and patience. subscribed
Haha yeah the patience is the key. This thing has taken me years and its great to finally see it coming together haha

very impressive man. look forward to seeing it hit the dirt. :icon_thumby: What are you goiung to haul it around with?, i assume your not going far on the street with this thing?
Nope this thing is technically not street legal (so the video of it driving is on my own roads :D ). My grandma has an old tandem axle trailer im gonna fix up to haul it on and my dad's got a 1993 Cummins turbodiesel thatll pull it around like its nothin :icon_thumby:

Thanks alot for the comments!

Sam

leumas12

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys. Been a while since ive posted but i just figured id give a little update. Just finished the rear wheel wells, came out pretty nice actually. Didnt get the polycarbonate as clean as i would have liked but oh well, at least its now a solid, sealed tub again :D i will take some pics of that as well as other little things i do. Only 3 major projects remain on this thing: 1) swapping the power steering pump to saginaw, likely from a 79 tbird or or f350 or similar 2) shocks (and flex test, i really hope my tire doesnt hit the battery...) 3) boxing the frame in critical areas, mainly just front mount of the rear leaves and frame mounts of the radius arms. Roll cage is coming as well, but im gonna do some test runs before i make that. Pics coming soon!

Sam

slow96gt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
just read the whole thing and it looks awesome

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Where are the pics of the rear wheel wells?

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice build too

leumas12

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Finally back here updating. This is going to be one of those good news/bad news things. Start with the good:

I got to take the bronco out this weekend to Hollister Hills SVRA and it ran awesome. I really like the way the suspension worked and it was a lot of fun.

The bad news:

In my excitement of having the bronco running good and being off road, i decided to hit the mud pit. Long story short I hit the pit too hard and sucked a bunch of water into the engine. Pulled the plugs and found a bunch of water. Tried to crank it and it shot out a bunch of water but still didnt crank. Just a single click from the starter. Tried cranking manually but no dice...The engine is seized :shok: Also when hitting the mud pit i hit it really hard which twisted one of the suspension arms just slightly. Easy fix and really pretty impressive that there wasnt more damage done- to the suspension i mean.

SO the bronco ran great for 10 minutes and then I broke it. Feel like a kid on christmas who broke his toy before even opening the box! :bawling: Now I need a new engine :annoyed:. Im a pretty positive person but this whole thing is downright depressing!

ANYONE KNOW OF A 2.9 IN CA THAT RUNS AND IS FOR SALE? I want to get this thing going again and at least enjoy it for the later part of the summer. Let me know!!! Thanks in advance.

99RangerOffRoad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why not get a 4.0, probably be easier to find and would get some more power.

leumas12

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I dont really want to bother trying to swap engines. I want to pretty much bolt it in and go. I'm going to start tearing apart the motor I have to see if its easily fixable but Im betting on it being better to just swap in another one. A 4.0 swap still takes a quite a bit of work if im not mistaken?

leumas12

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys! So I found myself a new engine. Its in this:

1990 Bronco II. No trans, but for $500 I really got a great deal. Its a pretty fun looking little truck, feel a little bad cannibalizing it haha.

Here is the list of stuff that I am keeping off this bronco for mine:
-engine (only 90k miles, my dead engine had about 190k i think haha)
-hood
-fenders
-grill
-seats
-seatbelts
-gas tank (going to see if I can modify it to fit back under the body in mine without having to sacrifice the one I have already)

Stuff I will be selling:

-32x11.5xR15 wheels and BFG Mud terrain tires. 4 tires have less than 1000 miles on them spare has less tread spare is another full size MFG MT! These are in great shape, no cracking on anything whatsoever. Truck was stored on a trailer so they havent even been touching dirt! I will get a picture of the tread soon, they really are almost new!
-Stock front and rear axles (no leaks, good for spare parts for the trail or to build up then swap into your vehicle to minimize downtime)
-4.5" lift kit- uses new coils and leaf springs no blocks. Comes with shocks and all brackets, including sway bar drops. This is a complete lift kit!
-Rear 8.8" axle with disc brake conversion. Painted and in great shape
-stock BW 1354 transfer case (electric)
-stock flange style front and rear drive shafts (great for trail spares! Broken shafts will ruin your day if you have no spares)
-Front grill guard
-fender flares which help fit the bigger tires

Everything is in really great condition. The guy I bought this truck from has owned it for over 10 years and took good care of it. He was on active duty in the military which is why the mileage is so low. PM me if there is anything I listed that you may want and if there is something else you want I didnte list let me know, I may have it! I will be posting prices as I sort through everything and pictures of some of the main stuff like the tires. Parts will be in the classifieds as well.

Thanks!

Sam

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
damn, that's a nice b2.

you can probably make money after you sell everything and scrap the rest. i might be interested in the flares if you wanna ship

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
damn, that's a nice b2.

you can probably make money after you sell everything and scrap the rest. i might be interested in the flares if you wanna ship
flare wont fit your 88, the front ones will look goofy

so sell them to me!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
you better watch it boggin, i was first! lol

leumas12

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Haha well the flares are different for BIIs up to '88 and the 89-90 ones. These are for the 1990 front fender style but if you trim the front of your fenders to match they might look fine. I want $250 OBO for all the flares (they are $330 for the set of 4 new), and yes I will ship the flares. I will even pay to ship them to you if you take them for $250. Let me know guys!

Sam

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
if i had $250, i'd def buy them. saving for an AR right now.

leumas12

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
PM me an offer if you would like.

Im repainting all the flares with semi gloss black so that theyre all purty plus I will supply the screws to attach them! That along with me paying for shipping for everyone in the lower 48 these things are a pretty sweet deal.

Got the engine ready to pull today. Also got the truck all cleaned out. Found some treasures in the back including grinding wheels, a screwdriver, some sawzall blades, and a few other things. Easily the best thing I found though was this:

That would be heavy black canvas. Its 2 pieces that are about 6ft square each. Looks like he had plans for a soft top. I have the same plan so I will be putting this to good use! I might even have enough left over to make a bikini top as well.

My girlfriend took apart the interior for me also. Just about have everything I want out of this thing, just need to pull the engine and get my gas tank out. Once again, PM me with an offer if you guys see something you want!

Sam

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals