• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Has anyone put an inline 6 in a Ranger?

Charlesd2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
me likey, im considering this swap too when the 2.3 dies, ever consider swapping out the exhuast/intake manifolds for better ones? the stock ones are known for poor preformance and fuel starvation on cyl 1 an 6. did you have to do any body modyfacations? ie firewall cutting, etc...
The only real modifications were we had to hammer a flap of metal down so it didnt rub up against transmission. we also had to bring the transmission mount or crossbeam up a few inch's and bolt it in place. we didnt have to even touch the main firewall or heater core so thats a good thing. and yes i have thought about changing my exhaust manifold to a cliffords setup but i do believe that is where there would be problems.. you would mostlikely have to install a heat shield after you find some way to run it without chopping it to pieces. the intake is all one so there is no way to change any of that, you'd just have to mill away a bunch of metal to than be able to bolt on any carb you'd like. the 250 heads from Australia have the detachable intake manifolds and hook right up to the 200 ive read, but they are hard to find and are used.

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
What did you use/do for engine mounts?

Sent from my A43 using Tapatalk

Charlesd2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What did you use/do for engine mounts?

Sent from my A43 using Tapatalk
hey, whats up? to answer your question danger ranger, we tried to use the engine mounts that were available as much as possible. we ended up using the side two and taking out the bottom one if my memory is correct. we used 1/2 inch steel to take up some gap and to use as a strengthener for the bolts. steel was cut in 3" x 3 1/2" for enough room for everything to bolt together correctly. the bottom was not needed for our engine. more pictures soon. another thing we had to do was cut a notch out of the frame on the passenger side the so alternator could fit in without any clearance issues... noticed i have a small old leak today. wish me luck to find it.

Charlesd2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
hey, whats up? to answer your question danger ranger, we tried to use the engine mounts that were available as much as possible. we ended up using the side two and taking out the bottom one if my memory is correct. we used 1/2 inch steel to take up some gap and to use as a strengthener for the bolts. steel was cut in 3" x 3 1/2" for enough room for everything to bolt together correctly. the bottom was not needed for our engine. more pictures soon. another thing we had to do was cut a notch out of the frame on the passenger side the so alternator could fit in without any clearance issues... noticed i have a small old leak today. wish me luck to find it.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Now I wish the engine I have would blow up. Well actually if it would get better mileage, then I wouldnt complain. Hopefully go get a different carb for her, one I have just isnt going to cut it. 10mpg with a 2.8 = a problem.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Do what I did

find a FS Bronco or F-150 and put your body on its chassis.It'll be lighter than the FS truck and have heavy duty everything to start out with,then if you want get the after market stuff for it go 4 it.:icon_welder:

Boiler

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Will - why did you compare a modern 3.5L V-6 to the oldest carburated version of the I-300? At least do a comparison of a fuel injected I-6 since you known the fuel distribution is a serious issue for inline engines. A problem that is solved with multiport fuel injection. I don't mind a comparison but at least compare a multiport injected I-300 to be fair.

Denola2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
223 in-line 6
Transmission
Manual
Sometimes, when it comes to engine swapping, it comes down to "Has anyone tired this before ?" I always like the 223 CID in-line 6 engines Ford used in the 50's and 60's in cars and trucks. I bought a complete driveline and engine from a 1963, F100. I built the engine (bored .040 OS), and began to look for a Ranger to put it in. I found a good, cleaned titled 95' standard cab 4x4 body that had the trans and transfer case removed. The engine was a 4.0 with a blown head gasket. I pulled the engine and went to work. I have it going now, and this is what I ended up with-----It is now a 2x4 with a 3 speed trans, 223 engine with carb--AC,PS--1994 Taurus radiator and two-speed electric fan (temperature controlled with manual override). I figured out how to get the electric speedometer, original tach and all gauges to work. I used an old Fenton three speed floor shifter. I used the 63' truck bell housing with the mounting ears and a front saddle mount. I fabricated a lot of brackets to make this work. I elected to not cut the firewall and cut the radiator support and move everything forward. The PCM is completely done away with, and everything is old school, just the way I wanted it. The 223 was called the "mileage maker", and I'm curious how much gas mileage I can get out of her. I'll post some pictures later, if, you all want to see some. I've enjoyed reading all the post on the thread, Dennis.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Ha, I saw this as one of the most recent posts and thought "oh dear, here we go again". Then I noticed that I had already posted in it lol.

But that's pretty sweet!!! You can't tease us like that and NOT post pictures, c'mon man! :icon_rofl:

Denola2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
223 in-line 6
Transmission
Manual
It's for real and as soon I get it finished, I'll post the pictures. I'm almost there and it's been a task for this old retired Ford mechanic:icon_welder:

Denola2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
223 in-line 6
Transmission
Manual
It's for real and as soon I get it finished, I'll post the pictures. I'm almost there and it's been a task for this old retired Ford mechanic:icon_welder:
Well, it's been a year since this was posted---still got the truck--would you guys like to see some pictures? 1995 OFF/ROAD 4x4 body----1963 Ford 223, inline six, with PS, AC---3 speed fully synchronized----now two wheel drive.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, it's been a year since this was posted---still got the truck--would you guys like to see some pictures? 1995 OFF/ROAD 4x4 body----1963 Ford 223, inline six, with PS, AC---3 speed fully synchronized----now two wheel drive.
Well, Hell Yah! Why do you think I've been hanging around this forum if not to live vicariously thru others builds?
Bring on the pics, but probably best to post in a new build thread with a link here to the new thread.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I remember the 300 straight 6 in my ’86 F150 being a bit of a bitch to get out, due to the length (I only had a chain hoist to use, had to remove the radiator fan blade, and it was still a fight for me). It was also kind of a dog as far as pickup, but was indeed pretty torque-ey. In all, it was a crap engine IMO and blew a piston at 150K (apparently, the mid-‘80s 300 I6’s where shitto, compared to the earlier ones which had a reputation for being bulletproof - my brother’s ’83 certainly was). But the Jeep Comanche came with I6’s if I remember right, so it should be do-able. Like a lot of other people here have mentioned, a smaller 6 would probably be easier.

I’d love to see someone try a slant-6 in a small truck one day, if that’s possible. I remember several fairly heavy cars that had them in the 70’s. They were pretty peppy and super-easy to work on (lots of room, due to the configuration). Used to power brake my mom’s car with one in the driveway, after it was taken off the road. Never understood why they were discontinued. Maybe others here have some thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
ANY I6 is going to take some effort. Even a 5.0/302 swap needs a radiator that tucks into the core support a bit.

Just about anything you do will require "doghousing" the firewall.

None of it is impossible, just a lot of work. If you want an I6, you'd better be prepared and unafraid to move some sheetmetal around.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Pics!

You used a 223? How did that fit/work out? The 300 has been done but i would think the 223 would br a bit easier because IIRC its a bit shorter. I also tbink its flat bad ass you used a 3 speed. Did you rig up a column shift or did you stick it up thru the floor?

One other question, did you use the ranger frame or did your graft the body on an older F series?

Dont listen to the haters, wheather the project makes "practical" sense is irrelevent. Uniqueness is cool....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals