• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Updating the 2.8L Tech Page - Suggestions Needed

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Transmission
Manual
Suggestions:

Pictures of engine, transmission, transfer cases, wiring diagram big enough to read, pictures, carb pictures, smog emission sensors and what they do (pictures)...I'm a visual learner.

Would love to see a Chilton's manual downloaded on here for folks to reference.

Pictures of: valve cover replacment, water pump replacement how to, brake jobs, carb rebuild, parking brake adjustment, 4x4 grease and fill up points, auto vs free hubs, rear hatch fixes...basically a manual of sorts for the beginner.

Pros and cons for 2.8...I like the little engine that can, but I will probably have this one rebuilt one day or buy a 2.9 if it bolts right up to my Mitsubishi FM 145.

Door jam codes listed and what transmissions, rear ends, etc that were offered for 1985s and what each represents.

Cheap hp tricks (think someone mentioned this) and what bigger tires do in relative terms (for dummies like me) to torque, hp and tow ratings (since we can't get 195/75/15s hardly anymore).

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
The Duraspark update that everyone is mentioning would be great. I'm not very good with trying to do things like this, I've never done it before, I know what the parts are, but a good write up with good detailed pictures of the connections, and all the part numbers used would be nice. I plan on doing the swap, but I'm afraid to do too much not really knowing what connections go where, not to mention what vehicle I need to search for to get the right carburetor for the swap. I'm on a very tight budget so I need to know what I need not what "Might" work I can't afford to be buying parts that won't work. I can turn a wrench but when it comes to electronics and electrical on vehicles I try to avoid it.

As for the tire issue, my 84 Ford Bronco 2 came with 235/75-15 Tires, but I plan on putting close to the right size tires on it which I believe are 205/75-15 tires.

Another thing on the 2.8L section it would definitely be nice to have an engine view with all the main items pointed out as there are a lot of people here who don't know some of the stuff on these and my Haynes manual is garbage when it comes to this particular engine.

I've noticed too that a lot of questions relating to the 2.8L engine, the answer is swapping engines, well not everyone is rich enough to do so or equipped with a shop full of tools to do so. I would like to see the 2.8L engine section deal with this engine keep the engine swap stuff in a separate section. Not everyone wants to be changing their engines out, me for one see absolutely nothing wrong with the 2.8L V6, I've had 2 vehicles a ford ranger and now the ford bronco 2 with this engine and it is very under-rated on here by many people. Keep the nonsense engine swap ideas out of this section as the people coming to this section are wanting answers to this engine not about swapping to a different engine opening a whole new box full of problems.

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
i will be doing the tbi so ill take many pics, dont do good write ups but hey pics are worth alot. cooling upgrades like swapping the water pump pulley for a smaller one

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
The Duraspark update that everyone is mentioning would be great. I'm not very good with trying to do things like this, I've never done it before, I know what the parts are, but a good write up with good detailed pictures of the connections, and all the part numbers used would be nice. I plan on doing the swap, but I'm afraid to do too much not really knowing what connections go where, not to mention what vehicle I need to search for to get the right carburetor for the swap. I'm on a very tight budget so I need to know what I need not what "Might" work I can't afford to be buying parts that won't work. I can turn a wrench but when it comes to electronics and electrical on vehicles I try to avoid it.

As for the tire issue, my 84 Ford Bronco 2 came with 235/75-15 Tires, but I plan on putting close to the right size tires on it which I believe are 205/75-15 tires.

Another thing on the 2.8L section it would definitely be nice to have an engine view with all the main items pointed out as there are a lot of people here who don't know some of the stuff on these and my Haynes manual is garbage when it comes to this particular engine.

I've noticed too that a lot of questions relating to the 2.8L engine, the answer is swapping engines, well not everyone is rich enough to do so or equipped with a shop full of tools to do so. I would like to see the 2.8L engine section deal with this engine keep the engine swap stuff in a separate section. Not everyone wants to be changing their engines out, me for one see absolutely nothing wrong with the 2.8L V6, I've had 2 vehicles a ford ranger and now the ford bronco 2 with this engine and it is very under-rated on here by many people. Keep the nonsense engine swap ideas out of this section as the people coming to this section are wanting answers to this engine not about swapping to a different engine opening a whole new box full of problems.
very true as do i

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic

komoto123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

Leadchunker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Duraspark conversion

This is always a topic of discussion with the 2.8l I know it is covered extensively on another thread.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What about the Duraspark Conversion? There's already a tech article under the ignition section and a link to it in the main 2.8L tech article.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
What about a write up of mechanical fuel pump vs aftermarket electric fuel pump and how to install electric fuel pump ?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals