• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TDI Ranger Build

Jeeprider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 95 has a box which sits very close to the alternator and made it so that I had to cut the A/C compressor mount off of the accessory bracket. This picture is the best I have to show how close they sit. I had to rotate the engine a bit to make sure these cleared. I'd estimate about .5" of space between the alternator and steering box. I can grab a better picture if it would be helpful to see.

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Yup, still kicking.

https://youtu.be/nbx4SdeWLDY

I need more turbo. I gotta get this clutch installed so I can redyno and then put in my new turbo. This 18psi boost is for the birds...32psi should help motivate things. :icon_thumby:

This thread has me really reconsidering the OM617 and considering the TDI swap again. Very impressive build and I love seeing the truck used for work as well as a daily driver. It's one of the cleanest swaps I have seen also.

One side note however. No matter what you do to a vehicle it is not legal to increase the GCWR from the manufactor. So as long as you don't get pulled over my the police or DOT your good. However the ranger still has what ever capacity that's on the door to be legal. Just a note for guys doing this swap that plan on loading the ranger down.

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
This thread has me really reconsidering the OM617 and considering the TDI swap again.
For the effort and $$ it costs to do a swap, don't bother with a om617. A lightly tuned tdi will run circles around any warmed up IDI benz motor without $3k in pump work. Even if you got the 617 for free, sell it off to buy a tdi. You can put a mechanical pump on a AHU or ALH if you're that afraid of a zombie emp blast threat.

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
For the effort and $$ it costs to do a swap, don't bother with a om617. A lightly tuned tdi will run circles around any warmed up IDI benz motor without $3k in pump work. Even if you got the 617 for free, sell it off to buy a tdi. You can put a mechanical pump on a AHU or ALH if you're that afraid of a zombie emp blast threat.

Not going to start a debate on someone else's thread but you are off. OM617s are cheap and can be found all over the place for $800-$1500 for a hole running 300D. It's hard to find any TDIs for any thing under $2500 and in running condition. In addition adding a 1.6 mechanical pump would add cost to the TDI swap and decrease its power potential significantly. The OM617 also only needs a vaccum source to run so the install is very easy.

The 1.9TDI especially modified will run circles around the OM617 but stock for stock the OM617 and TDI are very close in power and torque.

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Not going to start a debate on someone else's thread but you are off. OM617s are cheap and can be found all over the place for $800-$1500 for a hole running 300D. It's hard to find any TDIs for any thing under $2500 and in running condition. In addition adding a 1.6 mechanical pump would add cost to the TDI swap and decrease its power potential significantly. The OM617 also only needs a vaccum source to run so the install is very easy.

The 1.9TDI especially modified will run circles around the OM617 but stock for stock the OM617 and TDI are very close in power and torque.
Who is going to spend all the effort on a swap and leave a motor 100% stock? Tdi's are not that expensive if you are remotely resourceful. Why bother buying a whole car? I went to a U-pull junkyard and got my 04 passat tdi motor/ecu/harnesses and anything else I wanted off the car for $412.50 out the door. You also don't use a 1.6 pump to make a TDI mechanical. A land rover 300tdi pump bolts on with minor mods to make any 96-03 tdi mechanical. I sell them for ~$300 shipped from england if you insist on no electronics. With big nozzles and appropriate turbo, it will support 220+whp/400+wtq without going inside the pump.

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual

Bought my AHU Swap engine for 500 and bought my current dd tdi for 1200. Both in running condition when bought.

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Holy cow. Where are you guys finding TDIs at for that price.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
I just bought a alh block tdi. Engine and harness for 400$ 280k on it

Sent while eating tacos

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, if you look you can find good deals. At my local Upull salvage yard, there were 4 TDIs in the lot. One of them complete. Could have taken the whole engine for $200.

DieselDriver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
All of the places that should have photos show a picture saying to update something about flashdrive. I have no clue what that means. I am extremely interested in your swap, I own a 1998 Supercab XLT, 4.0 OHV, 5 speed auto and a 2003 VW Jetta TDI. I like the Jetta but my wife can't ride in it. I want to put the TDI in the Ranger and make it a highway traveler with way better fuel economy.

Last edited:

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
All of the places that should have photos show a picture saying to update something about flashdrive. I have no clue what that means. I am extremely interested in your swap, I own a 1998 Supercab XLT, 4.0 OHV, 5 speed auto and a 2003 VW Jetta TDI. I like the Jetta but my wife can't ride in it. I want to put the TDI in the Ranger and make it a highway traveler with way better fuel economy.
Hi there DieselDriver. Yeah, that is the damned photobucket debacle. There are a couple plugins for Chrome and firefox that fix the issue temporarily. What i need to do is take a day and migrate ALL of my photos over to a new host. :bawling:

ldriver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco2
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What was your source for the intercooler and cast 90's. I have a 2000 beetle and a 1985 Bronco2. Thank U.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Last Activity: 12-22-2017 04:42 AM

maybe bumping this will bump his email.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals