• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Jasper Engine & Tranny - Do or don't?

jchaillier

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a 2000 Ranger 3.0 4wd with 235,000 on it. The truck is in otherwise good shape, but the engine just blew and the tranny has high mileage. I'm looking into having an Jasper remanufactured engine and transmission installed and getting pricing on it, but I'm not hearing great reviews about their customer service. I've already put a junkyard engine in (blew up) and I'd like to get another 100,000 on this truck. Have you guys had any luck with Jasper or maybe a better suggestion moving forward? I don't have $30,000 to purchase a more reliable vehicle, so I'm open to alternatives.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Call around to local machine shops, see what they might charge you to do a full rebuild on the engine.

If you can find a GOOD trans shop, do the same.

Compare those prices to Jasper. I have had good luck with Jasper in the past, especially with them standing behind their warranty when something goes wrong, but I haven't dealt with them in a few years.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Why are you going through so many engines? you've blown two already. Are you checking your oil?

jchaillier

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The original engine blew with 230,000 or so on it. So what we did was purchase an engine with 80,000 miles from a junkyard and one of our family friends put it in while I was out of state for work. Checked the fluids and everything once he had it all back together and didn't see any issues. Started right up and went for a couple test drives, no issues. Coolant is good, oil is new. This engine just revved up to about 3200for 3 seconds from I want to say maybe 2500 and then it shut off leaving me coasting down the road. I guess I'm just a bit stunned as to why or how it could've happened.

07nhbpsi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The original engine blew with 230,000 or so on it. So what we did was purchase an engine with 80,000 miles from a junkyard and one of our family friends put it in while I was out of state for work. Checked the fluids and everything once he had it all back together and didn't see any issues. Started right up and went for a couple test drives, no issues. Coolant is good, oil is new. This engine just revved up to about 3200for 3 seconds from I want to say maybe 2500 and then it shut off leaving me coasting down the road. I guess I'm just a bit stunned as to why or how it could've happened.
Well, from what I’ve seen price wise with jasper I would price a ford reman engine for your truck..... make sure u price it from a few different sources as there can be a significant difference....I’ve always been told jasper was good, but I’d still would go with OEM Reman before any other!! :icon_thumby: I had experience with Marshall, and never ever would I even entertain the thought of using them ever again.......complete garbage...... had a 4.3l that they rebuilt long story short after warranty had to have heads machined.... they used brass valve guides in the head.....needless to say $300 later I had new guides and couple of seats replaced to make them right....:sad: go online and do some research I did way to late............. :icon_surprised::icon_surprised::icon_surprised::icon_surprised:

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure I would write off your second engine as blown unless it is locked up. It could be another problem that caused the engine to die. If the engine still turns start troubleshooting fuel and spark issues.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals