• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electric F-150 in the works

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Would you buy an all electric Ranger?
You know the All electric version of any vehicle is going to carry a premium price tag, and cost more than a more capable vehicle.
I wouldn't buy any new vehicle. I don't need the capabilities of any of these modern trucks, and have no desire to pay a ton of money for a depreciating asset when I'd rarely utilize anywhere close to it's full capabilities.

I do however have a plug-in hybrid as my daily driver. It's super nice. I get over 1000 miles between fill ups when the weather is warm and I plug it in @ night. It's smooth, quiet, efficient, cheap to operate, etc. If they made decent sized fully electric vehicles that were in my budget when I was shopping, then I would've seriously considered one of those for my situation too. I also would've happily kept driving my Ranger, but family needs change.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2)I use my Ranger for truck stuff. I use my Ranger for more and heavier truck stuff than most F-150 owners do. If I run up against something it genuinely won't handle, my Expedition and trailer usually will.
So basically you don't need a half ton because your wife lets you use hers?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Then I would have to plug it into the power grid which gets 80% of its power from burning coal.
This is factually incorrect. There's no reason to continue to spread incorrect info. According to the US government, less than 30% of electricity in the US came from coal in 2017, and that number is dropping all the time as plants are converted to cheaper, cleaner natural gas.

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

Also, there are 8252 power plants in the US combined. Most of them are not coal powered any more, but even if they were all coal plants, there are about 270 million registered vehicles in the US. Which do you think makes a bigger difference over a larger area? Improving tailpipe emissions has a larger impact, on more people than power plants. Obviously power plants are being cleaned up along with vehicles tailpipe emissions, but the argument that it's not doing any good is completely false.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't buy any new vehicle. I don't need the capabilities of any of these modern trucks, and have no desire to pay a ton of money for a depreciating asset when I'd rarely utilize anywhere close to it's full capabilities.

I do however have a plug-in hybrid as my daily driver. It's super nice. I get over 1000 miles between fill ups when the weather is warm and I plug it in @ night. It's smooth, quiet, efficient, cheap to operate, etc. If they made decent sized fully electric vehicles that were in my budget when I was shopping, then I would've seriously considered one of those for my situation too. I also would've happily kept driving my Ranger, but family needs change.
Do you get much of a winter there?

I love my F-150 but the ol' girl is leaving me. I could get a nicer box, fix the cab corners and replace the doors... that's a lot of investment on a 17yo 175k mile truck. The rockers on the bed are peeling open and almost getting hazardous.

Not that I can afford it but I have been looking over the fence at something newer.

I have used 4wd to get to/on the highway for a week and a half, plug in or otherwise a car ain't gonna hack it. My wife's AWD Edge has been struggling this winter.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Too boot, as Rusty alluded to, when charged off a coal-fired plant (a large percentage of US electricity is generated this way, around 98% here in PA)
According to this article, PA has greatly reduced their coal usage in the last couple of years, and it's now just 22% of total production compared to 34% natural gas and 39% Nuclear:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/12/24/climate/how-electricity-generation-changed-in-your-state.html

And the government seems to back that up, showing coal as the 3rd largest behind nat gas and nuclear:

https://www.eia.gov/state/?sid=PA

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

I love my F-150 but the ol' girl is leaving me. I could get a nicer box, fix the cab corners and replace the doors... that's a lot of investment on a 17yo 175k mile truck. The rockers on the bed are peeling open and almost getting hazardous.

Not that I can afford it but I have been looking over the fence at something newer.

I have used 4wd to get to/on the highway for a week and a half, plug in or otherwise a car ain't gonna hack it. My wife's AWD Edge has been struggling this winter.

Central Indiana. Plenty of snow, sub zero temps and road salt, but the internet tells me that our average temp is typically a degree or two higher than your area, and we average 5 inches of snow/month while you guys mostly average 6. Our plow crews do pretty well around here. I've had a 2wd vehicle every driving winter of my life and gotten stuck once (when I was parked). My stuff gets washed regularly and parked in a heated garage at night, so they last, and charging isn't a big deal.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

A lil rust never hurt no one.

As long as the seat isnt sittin on the frame and the truck isnt bending in the middle.....run that sumbitch

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Central Indiana. Plenty of snow, sub zero temps and road salt, but the internet tells me that our average temp is typically a degree or two higher than your area, and we average 5 inches of snow/month while you guys mostly average 6. Our plow crews do pretty well around here. I've had a 2wd vehicle every driving winter of my life and gotten stuck once (when I was parked). My stuff gets washed regularly and parked in a heated garage at night, so they last, and charging isn't a big deal.
I didn't think your winters would be that much different than ours, kinda weird that your stuff doesn't rust. Around here unless you park it for the winter it rusts. Mine looks a lot better than most other trucks of the same vintage still on the road.

Not sure if you are going on a 10yr average or what but winters have been kind of wimpy here the last couple years, we did get about a foot last weekend though. This winter (this year) is more what I would call normal. Got a foot last weekend, they are talking another 3-12" depending on who you talk to for tomorrow.

Guessing you live in town, I don't. As far as snow removal goes it is a different world living on a gravel road.

A lil rust never hurt no one.
Actually the bed does look a little spooky for getting hurt on...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
So basically you don't need a half ton because your wife lets you use hers?
The Expedition isn't her DD either. She DD's the Mustang and avoids driving the Expedition when she can.

It's primary role is grocery getter, because the BII has a solid hatch, instead of an opening glass, so things tend to fall out when we get home.

Honestly, I know my boy will be pissed if I do it, but I keep thinking I might want to replace her with a nice 1st gen Explorer.

I can do everything I want to do to the BII to an Explorer, and some of it would already be there from the factory.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I like how no one got on him for saying "according to the government" lol. I figured that would have caused all kinds of fussin'

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Who uses F150s as a truck?

All 1/2 tons nowadays are a joke. Youre better off spending the little extra for a super duty if you plan on doing anything remotly trucky anyways.

But, i guess it makes sense, having a zero emission vehicle being charged by a coal power plant :icon_confused:
IDK, today's F-150's can out tow and out haul the older F-150's. Heck, today's F-150 can probably out perform the F-250/350 of the 80's and early 90's.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
All kinds of shots being fired here! Especially at Rangers, on an Ranger forum!....

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Guy in an auto forum: "According to the government ..."

Other guy: "Fake news! Fake news!"

:icon_rofl::yahoo:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like how no one got on him for saying "according to the government" lol. I figured that would have caused all kinds of fussin'
I could've linked to a bunch of media reports, etc but was trying to avoid an avalanche of "fake news!" And "that's just the liberal media!" Responses. I figured the government was a bit more scientific in their approach and a bit less polarizing in most people's eyes. If you don't trust the media (which I can understand to a point), and you don't trust the government to report accurate data, then who do you trust? Just those that present ideas and info that you agree with?

If you've got a better, more reliable source I'd welcome it. Even if it contradicts what I've posted. I'm willing to discuss about anything with an open mind. I'm an engineer by trade, and vehicle emissions testing pays my bills so I feel fairly well informed but can always learn something new. Where I work we have a saying: "In God we trust. All others bring data." Ideas are great for discussion, but if you can't back them up with data and facts then it's kind of a waste of time. The flip side of that is that you may be presented with data that conflicts with your ideas and have to reconsider.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
IDK, today's F-150's can out tow and out haul the older F-150's. Heck, today's F-150 can probably out perform the F-250/350 of the 80's and early 90's.
On paper.

Any ecoboost/5.0 owner wants to find a big load and a steep hill, oh, and a stop watch.....ill have the 460 warmed up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals