• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electric F-150 in the works

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Theoretically if it varies on the fly it could simulate shorter stroke.

If you want to talk about a rube goldberg contraption of a time bomb...
It's in black and white and I've read it in numerous write ups. It changes displacement. If you disagree, take it up with Nissan engineers, I'm just the messenger.

If you could talk to the you from 15 years ago and told him that Fords best motor of all time is a 2.3 turbo 4, you would call yourself crazy. Thing change. Eventually some one will come up with something that make the EB obsolete.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
You sure its not cylinder deacticvation....aka "displacement on demand"?

Something mopar and GM have had for quite a few years now.

Either way, in 2020 ford is suppose to unveil a 7.3L Gas V8, dubbed "godzilla". No specs yet, but it is confirmed to be a pushrod V8 with no real fancy frills. So i figure by 2025-2030 ill get my hands on one of those, as a suitable replacement for how i believe a truck motor should behave.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's in black and white and I've read it in numerous write ups. It changes displacement. If you disagree, take it up with Nissan engineers, I'm just the messenger.
Not arguing just theorizing how it could work. I have something like hydraulic cylinders pictured for connecting rods... it might work for awhile but I don't know how long lived it would be. Hydraulic cylinders leak when they age and you start having various ones leaking at various rates and it is going to mess it all up.

It might be something totally different, I don't know. Or maybe something like a camshaft phaser adapted to work on the crank to monkey with the valve to piston timing to simulate a different displacement.

You sure its not cylinder deacticvation....aka "displacement on demand"?

Something mopar and GM have had for quite a few years now
IH had it back in the 70's. Worked great until it would stick and you have a V8 trying to pull on 6 cylinders, most had it disabled.

http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/International_1468

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Boy would it be nice to see a complete Rube Goldberg vehicle. I could just see it now.... a car powered by a hamster running in the wheel which moves 8 million levers and other off the wall things to make it function. I have never towed with a big block or an eco boost but based off everyone's reactions going from the old big blocks to the new motors, I would say the new motors out perform the old ones in every way. I know a guy who has had every combination of f250's and 350's and he says his new f150 out does them all in towing. Plus you get twice the gas mileage. You can read on f150 forums about people talking about this same topic and most agree the new motors tow better than the old big blocks.
It depends on your definition of "towing good".

Ripping 6000lbs down the interstate at 70 mph im sure the new motors do do well.

Towing 2 or 3 loaded corn wagons up a steep country road at 15mph....my moneys on the old big block.

As for double the mileage? Ehhh maybe empty. My 460 pulls 13 pretty regularly. Towing my 7000lb camper, A/C on, O/D off at 65mph, i get about 9.

Everyone ive talked to with EBs says towing heavy they drop to about 10. You start workin that turbo hard (which, with a big load, it will), and your mileage will drop fast. You gotta have enough fuel to mix with the extra air.

The 5.0s? Not sure what they get towing but 15-18mpg seems to be what they get empty.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Towing 2 or 3 loaded corn wagons up a steep country road at 15mph....my moneys on the old big block.
Don't really matter, with no tongue weight, no brakes and each wagon (1970's vintage 150bu gravity flow) carrying 8500lbs+/- of corn the truck won't stay on the road very long anyway.

I hauled 153bu of soybeans (7500lbs, beans are lighter than corn) in with my little 45hp 5000lb tractor last fall. Tractor weighs about the same as a 4wd half ton. At 6mph (second gear) I could feel the one wagon really wanting to push the tractor around. Going up hills was dicey too. The whole rig crossed the scale at 16,660lbs. Power was not an issue, the engine didn't really care. Handling the rig and traction was the issue.

And that tractor has a lot more lead in its @$$ than a pickup of any vintage. Rear tires are full of fluid, set of rear weights and all the tail heavy-traction-above-all-else balance that comes with a tractor.

Most guys pull such a wagon (note, singular) with literally twice as much tractor that I have. A pickup with a full wagon (like the one I pulled), no way. Multiple wagons... :icon_rofl:;missingteeth;:icon_rofl:

Last edited:

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't really matter, with no tongue weight, no brakes and each wagon (1970's vintage 150bu gravity flow) carrying 8500lbs+/- of corn the truck won't stay on the road very long anyway.

I hauled 153bu of soybeans (7500lbs, beans are lighter than corn) in with my little 45hp 5000lb tractor last fall. Tractor weighs about the same as a 4wd half ton. At 6mph (second gear) I could feel the one wagon really wanting to push the tractor around. Going up hills was dicey too. The whole rig crossed the scale at 16,660lbs. Power was not an issue, the engine didn't really care. Handling the rig and traction was the issue.

And that tractor has a lot more lead in its @$$ than a pickup of any vintage. Rear tires are full of fluid, set of rear weights and all the tail heavy-traction-above-all-else balance that comes with a tractor.

Most guys pull such a wagon (note, singular) with literally twice as much tractor that I have. A pickup with a full wagon (like the one I pulled), no way. Multiple wagons... :icon_rofl:;missingteeth;:icon_rofl:

I mean, i was making a point. An extreme one, but a point.

And you wuss, ive pulled a loaded one with a farmall cub :icon_hornsup:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
https://youtu.be/UczuQYf2V6Y

The shortest video I could find about the muti-compression engine
Uhh.

That is how you make an electric car look really really good. Or even make a horse and buggy look good. :fie:

And you wuss, ive pulled a loaded one with a farmall cub :icon_hornsup:
Next fall the wagons hopefully can be full again if you want to bring it out and compare for the 5 mile run to town. :icon_twisted:

I did request going forward if dad wants me to haul in to not fill them like that. The wagon with 80bu was cake, ran in third gear with no worries, that trip the was 11k across the scale.

Last edited:

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
My point is that there are other technologies in the works and at one time no one thought a sequential turbo (different than a twin turbo, even though a lot of people call the EB a twin turbo) 4 cylinder would reign supreme. That's all. Never said "I LOVE the new Nissan motors that are gonna shame the EB" just putting it all out there.

The OP started this thread about an electric f-150 BTW.

On that note, I want to see the electric motors INSIDE the wheels. who's ready for that?

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Im not saying they arnt impressive, but untill i see a fair, impartial, 3rd party (as in not TFL truck or any other idiot youtube warriors) do a FAIR, head to head test between the two with a real load, i wont buy into the hype.
TFL - Talk in a Foriegn Language? I hope his english gets better. I struggle listening to the accent.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My point is that there are other technologies in the works and at one time no one thought a sequential turbo (different than a twin turbo, even though a lot of people call the EB a twin turbo) 4 cylinder would reign supreme. That's all. Never said "I LOVE the new Nissan motors that are gonna shame the EB" just putting it all out there.
I am not ragging on you, just throwing my $.02 in the pot.

The OP started this thread about an electric f-150 BTW.
If he has a problem he can talk to me about it. :stirthepot:

If not for these weird tangents I wouldn't have found out about your goofy Nissan engine. :icon_thumby:

On that note, I want to see the electric motors INSIDE the wheels. who's ready for that?
Where do I sign up?

https://www.halopedia.org/M12_Warthog

TFL - Talk in a Foriegn Language? I hope his english gets better. I struggle listening to the accent.
It is kind of fun, its like offroading for your ears. :icon_rofl:

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
HAHA I was wondering that too. I still don't know what TFL would stand for. Maybe I'm just too country to know what it is. I still live in the early 2000's lol.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
HAHA I was wondering that too. I still don't know what TFL would stand for. Maybe I'm just too country to know what it is. I still live in the early 2000's lol.
The Fast Lane, they do truck reviews on youtube.

Last edited:

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
LOL my goofy Nissan engine is in just about every car magazine since December. I am a Car & Driver subscription holder and read several other magz ( C&D, MotorTrend, and anything car related at the dentist or where ever) and this is where I get a lot of the nonsense that I spew into this forum. I rarely go in half cocked with no info on what I am talking about. I get that some of you guys are die hard 4x4 Ford guys, and I consider myself a FORD GUY, but I do also read about what the other manufacturers are doing and where and how and why they are doing it. I don't work on cars anymore, but I do read and learn about them all the time. So it may be frustrating to have an internet back and forth in this forum with me, because I don't know every thing about every ford engine and/or transmission/ drivetrain, but I am hear to learn and share what I DO know. If I don't know, I simply ask TRS.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals