• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Synthetic oil in a lawnmower, is it worth it?

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If it's a Briggs & Stratton L-Head, some models are known to have a carbon build up issue on the piston. I had that problem at one time. After I scrapped the carbon off and cleaned the head for good measure, the problem went away.
There's the problem... its a Briggs and Stratton lol jk.... they aren't what they used to be IMHO. I have a few things with a Briggs on it and they are good as long as you run the gas out of them when you put them up for winter. My log splitter has an old Tecumseh and it sits outside under a tarp and it pull starts every time after the second pull in 20 degree weather.... not bad for a 20+year old engine. My lawnmower is a Honda and it is reliable as hell. You can guarantee that thing will start up with ease. Honestly to me, its all in the owner and what that owner does as far as care, maintenance and how they use it (or abuse it in some cases). I always tell people that if two people buy the same thing and one of them takes care of it and treats it like they are supposed to then 5 years down the road, one will look almost new while the other will look 5 years older than what it really is.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Assuming it you checked the air filter it sounds like a carb problem to me.

New carbs are pretty cheap.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Assuming it you checked the air filter it sounds like a carb problem to me.

New carbs are pretty cheap.
Replaced the air filter when it started doing this because it was nasty.

I'm sure its in the carb, or the ring. Lots of smoke. Sometimes black, sometimes blue.

I know carbs are cheap, but I'm hesitant to put any money into it at all because the only place it will get that the riding mower won't is under the trampoline, and I can just pick that up and move it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
There's the problem... its a Briggs and Stratton lol jk.... they aren't what they used to be IMHO. I have a few things with a Briggs on it and they are good as long as you run the gas out of them when you put them up for winter. My log splitter has an old Tecumseh and it sits outside under a tarp and it pull starts every time after the second pull in 20 degree weather.... not bad for a 20+year old engine. My lawnmower is a Honda and it is reliable as hell. You can guarantee that thing will start up with ease. Honestly to me, its all in the owner and what that owner does as far as care, maintenance and how they use it (or abuse it in some cases). I always tell people that if two people buy the same thing and one of them takes care of it and treats it like they are supposed to then 5 years down the road, one will look almost new while the other will look 5 years older than what it really is.

Other than the one engine with the carbon, I haven’t had a problem with them. I’ve had Honda engine fail once too.

That being said, I’ve found them all to be fairly reliable as long as you keep up with them. One snow blower has a 2-stroke Techumsa another a Briggs. My pressure washer has a Honda and my mower has a Briggs. I’m not sure if my Stihl equipment has house made engines or not. All I know is they work.

All of them get run dry and drained, oil is changed (where applicable), spark plug changed, filter changed (where applicable), and a shot of oil put into the cylinder at the end of their respective season.

The exception would be the chain saw and the generators, which get run for a while every 3-4 months to keep the fuel fresh and all my fuel has stabilizer.

Rarely do I have a problem. This regimen isn’t for everyone and don’t think less of those who don’t do it. It isn’t my money or equipment, so makes no difference to me.

That being said, I do recommend people read the manual and follow it. Why throw good money away just because it’s inconvenient to take some time to read and so the maintenance when recommended? The money and minimized frustration is well worth it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

I'm sure its in the carb, or the ring. Lots of smoke. Sometimes black, sometimes blue.

I know carbs are cheap, but I'm hesitant to put any money into it at all because the only place it will get that the riding mower won't is under the trampoline, and I can just pick that up and move it.

If it does end up being an engine issue, maybe a Harbor Freight engine might be worth consideration. From what I’ve seen, they seem to hold up ok and are usually a lot cheaper than the factory engines.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not sure if a push mower is worth repowering.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Not sure if a push mower is worth repowering.

I took the same tact but I don’t need an expensive mower. He might and the engine swap might be worth it, maybe.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
15 years - zero oil changes...

Attachments

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
15 years - zero oil changes...
I hate fencing more than I hate mowing. :icon_twisted:

I would use a tractor and shredder before I resorted to goats/sheep. :icon_twisted:

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Our goats would eat anything but what you wanted them to. Somehow they knew that....

I run synthetic in my generator. It's an aluminum OHV B&S and it called for 0W-20, so that's what it get. It sometimes sits for long periods, and sometimes runs for days on end with barely a stop (First Energy, otherwise known as Worst Energy).

The riding mower is a Kohler M12, which gets 30W and it gets changed reasonably often.

There is oil in push mowers? Who knew? :icon_confused:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

Sounds like internal engine to me. Like you said, rings.

Ive never, ever, had an issue with an flathead briggs. What i like about them is you can leave them sit in a field 10 years, dump gas in it and hook a battery up and 9/10 times theyll fire.

Much less finnicky then kohlers/onans/wisconsins.

Tecumsehs though always treated me very well.

Stick your finger over the plug hole and see how hard it blows back on your finger when someone yanks it over. If it doesnt give a good solid blast its worn out.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That being said, I do recommend people read the manual and follow it. Why throw good money away just because it’s inconvenient to take some time to read and so the maintenance when recommended? The money and minimized frustration is well worth it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I highly agree with this. Whenever I buy something used, anything as big as a riding mower to as small as a router, I try to find the manual online if it didn't come with one. 9 times out of 10 you will learn something about the product you didn't know. I know "real men" don't read instructions and I think that is straight foolish/ignorant.... if you want to try to assemble a grill with no instructions and just look a picture then be my guest. I will follow the instructions and be done without having to disassemble half the build b/c you used the wrong size bolts lol. Yup, I'm a firm believer in owners manuals and doing what it says. I actually just got excited the other day when I scored a Haynes manual for my truck for $5. That will pay for itself in no time.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Its a freakin lawnmower just keep it topped off with 30W and change it every other year the key is check the oil before you start it. They run bad with no oil.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I never change the oil in my lawn mower. Oh wait, it doesn't have oil. About 10 years ago AQMD in SoCal had a deal that if you brought in your old gasoline powered lawn mower they would give you a new electric lawn mower for $100. Mine was about to give out being about 25 years old, so I went for it. It was a good decision. All I have to do to it is plug it in after I use it, sharpen the blade about every five years or so and clean it up occasionally. I thought I would eventually have to replace the battery but so far it has held up well.
My other small engine powered equipment get non-detergent oil as recommended by the manufacturer with the exception of the 2 cycle engines.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I never change the oil in my lawn mower. Oh wait, it doesn't have oil. About 10 years ago AQMD in SoCal had a deal that if you brought in your old gasoline powered lawn mower they would give you a new electric lawn mower for $100. Mine was about to give out being about 25 years old, so I went for it. It was a good decision. All I have to do to it is plug it in after I use it, sharpen the blade about every five years or so and clean it up occasionally. I thought I would eventually have to replace the battery but so far it has held up well.
My other small engine powered equipment get non-detergent oil as recommended by the manufacturer with the exception of the 2 cycle engines.
It would be awesome to never fuss over a mower but I have about 2hrs of mowing with a 46" deck and sometimes it needs mowed more than once a week (the best dirt on my acreage is in my yard :annoyed:)

So my 1996 Murray gets a quart and a half of conventional Valvoline 10W-30 once a year.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals