• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 5.0 Explorer Swap Into 98 Ranger 4.0

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I checked my mileage. Did some running around town and back roads to the house combo. I am getting close to 19 mpg. I was down to 17 no matter what. What a difference. I am going to have to wait for a little while before I can change the sender because I just got the transmission back for my 3/4 ton so I have to put it back in.

DonovanJM

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Do you guys know if when going from manual to automatic if the steering shaft with the shifter and gage cluster from the Explorer are direct swaps? The less I have to hunt down the better.
Thank you!

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Do you guys know if when going from manual to automatic if the steering shaft with the shifter and gage cluster from the Explorer are direct swaps? The less I have to hunt down the better.
Thank you!
The steering column is the exact same as the ranger. You will need to just swap the whole thing in from the explorer. It will be much easier. The factory bolts in a plate on the floor to cover the hole for the shifter in an automatic ranger. Look for one of those at the junkyard. The gauge cluster is the same but you will have to change a wire around to make your tach read right depending on what engine you have.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Wouldn't the Explorer have the floor plate he'd need?

DonovanJM

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Either way is fine. I'm sure I will be making a trip to junkyard at least once. :ROFLMAO: I'll definitely check the explorer first though. The more I can get from the explorer the better. It's nice to know there is an OEM cover. It will look a lot better then what I would make.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

DonovanJM

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So another question. Everywhere say's the AWD is the easiest to swap. Is that because it's a direct bolt in? I plan on either getting the adapter and using my 1354 or swapping to something else. Haven't decided yet. With that in mind does it matter if I get an AWD or 4x4 Explorer? The 4x4's are much easier to find.
Thanks again.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Forget the adapter. You have two reasonable options. The Explorer's AWD case is simple because there's nothing to it - the parts come with the truck, including the front driveshaft you'd need. Just get a rear driveshaft and you're ready to go. That said, a lot of us prefer having a true 4wd case with low range. For that, look at this thread:
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/convert-v8-awd-to-bw-4406-manual-shift-a-how-to-thread.166726/

Source a transfer case with shifter from an F150. You'll have to cut a hole in your floorboard for the shifter and do a little work for the shift lights, but that's it other than getting driveshafts to fit.

DonovanJM

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So if I went this method would I still need to find an AWD Explorer or will a 4x4 be fine?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
The Explorer donor won't be 4wd. All the 5.0 Explorers were either 2wd or AWD. I actually used a 2wd donor, but separately sourced a transmission from an AWD 5.0 Explorer.

DonovanJM

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The Explorer donor won't be 4wd. All the 5.0 Explorers were either 2wd or AWD. I actually used a 2wd donor, but separately sourced a transmission from an AWD 5.0 Explorer.
ah, that makes sense! Thank you!

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
Forget the adapter. You have two reasonable options. The Explorer's AWD case is simple because there's nothing to it - the parts come with the truck, including the front driveshaft you'd need. Just get a rear driveshaft and you're ready to go. That said, a lot of us prefer having a true 4wd case with low range. For that, look at this thread:
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/convert-v8-awd-to-bw-4406-manual-shift-a-how-to-thread.166726/

Source a transfer case with shifter from an F150. You'll have to cut a hole in your floorboard for the shifter and do a little work for the shift lights, but that's it other than getting driveshafts to fit.
Why skip the adapter? If there is an adapter made that allows the use of the existing Ranger t-case, why not use it instead of cobbling together parts from other vehicles to make a manual shifter work? Is the Ranger t-case not strong enough? Are there other issues? I'm just trying to learn, because I've been seriously considering the V8 swap on my '01.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Because the F150 case is immensely stronger, and because it gives you an opportunity to go with a manual case. There isn't much cobbling to it. Alternatively, you're sourcing an expensive adapter to use a weaker case.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why skip the adapter? If there is an adapter made that allows the use of the existing Ranger t-case, why not use it instead of cobbling together parts from other vehicles to make a manual shifter work? Is the Ranger t-case not strong enough? Are there other issues? I'm just trying to learn, because I've been seriously considering the V8 swap on my '01.
Because we are cheap, lazy or both.

The BW1354 shaft installs from the front of the 4R70W. So you will need to pull everything out of transmission - pump, gears, clutches, etc to remove the existing output shaft and replace with the one for Ranger transfer case. It's OK, if you were planning on rebuilding the transmission anyways, but it is a lot of work if you have a good transmission. And a lot of people are intimidated/don't have tools to rebuild an automatic.

Note: Swapping the transmission to transfer case housing is child's play, so I am discounting the requirement to do that.

The Advance Adapters sells the shaft for ~$600 US with availability occasionally being sketchy. $1k Cdn after purchase, shipping, duty made me look into other solutions.

And ya, the 31 spline input shaft/34 (BW1356) or 39 (BW4406) tooth gears of F-150 case are substantially stronger than the 25 splines/24 tooth gears of the Ranger case. And the BW4406 can be found in electric shift models that basically bolt/wire in (look for Expeditions of same vintage as your Ranger), if you don't want to cut the floor up. The BW4406 is also only 14.5mm (~9/16") wider center to center than BW1350/4, so fits between frame rails a lot nicer than BW1356.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals