• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Junk Yard Hunt For 16's or 15's

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Definitely don't want studs breaking in motion especially. However, I broke 2 while removing passenger wheel, luckily opposite ones. So I did not want to take a test drive in this situation.

I will pick up longer steel studs from AZ tomorrow and give this better time than I had today.

For quick testing 1" spacers could not sit flush to hub, not without these 5mm spacer rings. The rings are hub centered. Question are these spacer rings known to be safe?

View attachment 28769

View attachment 28769

if the big spacers don't fit flush on the hubs they are probably hitting the "brake register",,, that's the small raised portion the rotor rides on. a beveled edge on the inner side of the spacers will cure that issue.

personally my opinion is against stacking spacers, it's your truck & your decision.

with ALL spacers, especially the thin cheap ones, place them against the mounting surface of the wheel and check for proper contact.
there are situations where the mounting area on the wheel does not align with the spacers.

the wheels in the pic above appears the have a thin mounting ring outside of the lug holes. any spacer, rotor, drum will have to completely cover that ring.

Jay11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'99 4.0+'98 2.5
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
if the big spacers don't fit flush on the hubs they are probably hitting the "brake register",,, that's the small raised portion the rotor rides on. a beveled edge on the inner side of the spacers will cure that issue.

personally my opinion is against stacking spacers, it's your truck & your decision.

with ALL spacers, especially the thin cheap ones, place them against the mounting surface of the wheel and check for proper contact.
there are situations where the mounting area on the wheel does not align with the spacers.

the wheels in the pic above appears the have a thin mounting ring outside of the lug holes. any spacer, rotor, drum will have to completely cover that ring.
Only the small spacers appear to have the correct bevel edge, the big ones are hitting that break register edge.
I don't want to stack them, am skipping the big ones, this way I will keep my spacers situation to a minimum. The thin ones sit flush and they tested ok. The truck handled normally, with non of the earlier symptoms, and they helped with rubbing quite a bit.

The last sentence you said
"the wheels in the pic above appears the have a thin mounting ring outside of the lug holes. any spacer, rotor, drum will have to completely cover that ring."

I am not sure I follow exactly what you are referring to, and I want to make sure I get everything down.

Also guys can you direct me to where I can get longer steel bolts for this truck? AZ has regular size, pro'ly aluminum.

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Only the small spacers appear to have the correct bevel edge, the big ones are hitting that break register edge.
I don't want to stack them, am skipping the big ones, this way I will keep my spacers situation to a minimum. The thin ones sit flush and they tested ok. The truck handled normally, with non of the earlier symptoms, and they helped with rubbing quite a bit.

The last sentence you said
"the wheels in the pic above appears the have a thin mounting ring outside of the lug holes. any spacer, rotor, drum will have to completely cover that ring."

I am not sure I follow exactly what you are referring to, and I want to make sure I get everything down.

Also guys can you direct me to where I can get longer steel bolts for this truck? AZ has regular size, pro'ly aluminum.

I'll try to get a pic of that posted in a couple of days.

try Summit or Jegs for longer wheel studs.

Jay11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'99 4.0+'98 2.5
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'll try to get a pic of that posted in a couple of days.

try Summit or Jegs for longer wheel studs.
Please. That will be great thank you

Jay11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'99 4.0+'98 2.5
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I cleaned up the chromes and painted the shoes with Cover All (have heard impressive things about this product. I am very curious to see how long the shine lasts.)

Even though my first preference was aluminums I have decided to grow into the chrome wheels look. Might as well seeing the 18" Wheels have had the effect of lifting the truck a few more inches and my biggest value score is that the tires are new.

Last edited:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

Jay11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'99 4.0+'98 2.5
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
nice. what size spacers did you go with?
Thanx! Right now I'm settled with just the 5mm ring spacers. At lock there's a slight rub I can live with for now. Later I plan to get 1.5" spacers for the fronts. Those will completely eliminate rubbing the suspension system and remove the need for the 5mm rings.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals