• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Ranger 2.9 fuel pressure issues??

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Thought you got it fixed??

CzyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
@PetroleumJunkie412
Well it's not doing the bogging down and backfiring thing but there were still unanswered questions. @Bird76Mojo had asked about the vaccum lines on the airbox and not sure why my truck says idle at 800 and you think it's low? Thanks again for all the help.

CzyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
@PetroleumJunkie412
Also as I stated in a earlier thread... There still seems to be a loss of power. It's hard for me to tell because I haven't owned one before but it seems weak. Unless this is just how the 2.9 is.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Not sure about the air box lines. Mine doesn't have them, as I have an aftermarket ram air, and my headers do not have the ability to use the warm air valve (what those lines control).

Idle does seem low to me, but if it's within the tags on the core support, I wouldn't worry too much. I still suspect your ECM potentially having issues.

A 2.9l is a weird engine:

maxresdefault.jpg

They ARE NOT truck engines. They are a V4 that has been re-engineered into a V6. You have to rev the sh*t out of it to get anywhere. There's a reason yours has 3.73s or 4.10s in the rear end - To translate RPMs into torque.

At this point, I'd probably start looking for a reman ECM with a bulletproof return policy.

Ford EEC-IVs have a ~30 year lifespan before their capacitors sh*t themselves all over the mainboard.

Find one with a no questions asked return policy, try it out, and see if that changes things. I went through two junkyard ones before I found a good one. If theres no change, send it back.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
We haven't abandoned you. I've been working on my V8 Ranger all day, adding A/C to it..

If it seems down on power, often the throttle cable is stretched. I think I already had you check, but if not: have someone floor the gas pedal (truck not running) while you look into the throttle body. See if the throttle butterfly (plate) is opening all the way. You can also use your hand to try to open the butterfly even more while they're flooring the pedal. That will show you if there is any stretch in the cable or not.

The throttle cable stretches on these old trucks and pressing the gas pedal with a stretched cable doesn't allow the throttle butterfly to open all the way. So essentially, you're not giving the truck as much gas pedal as you think you are. The fix is easy though. A few zip ties on the throttle cable, inside the cab, where it hooks to the gas pedal. You're just using the zip ties to remove the slack from the stretched cable.

As for the 800rpm idle speed, if the truck calls for it, then I'd say it's ok.

Don't worry about the vacuum hoses on the air box. As long as they're hooked up, then it should be good to go. I forget what reversing them actually does..

Locotomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1986
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6inch custom fab lift/86
Total Drop
Bagged 3 inch custom drop beams 88/89 Custom triangulated and step notched rear
Tire Size
35/12.5/r18
My credo
Everything looks better lower
If you haven't done it yet, replace your Cap and Rotor, and all your plugs. I'd even test resistance on your wires. I believe its 9000 ohms max per foot of wire, and recommended 7000 ohms per foot. Your plugs will be fouled out after a bad o2 Sensor. Causing loss of power and poor idle/backfire. I also had a bad Ecm (Which I thought was an IAC Valve issue for the longest time). The Cold Crank Scenerio no longer functioned. (Data must of gotten erased over the years.) Nevertheless, on cold starts, the Ecm would go straight to Warm Idle, and run like shit until the engine temp caught up. Replaced it and now cold starts at 1500 Rpm every time. One last thing, Get a throttle body off of an 86 or 87 2.9l. its a lot bigger. I have a couple if anyone needs one, btw. It really helps the little guy breath and changes the note of your exhaust.

CzyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So, what ever happened with this truck?
@Bird76Mojo @PetroleumJunkie412
@Locotomb
Hey fellas, sorry it took me awhile to get y'all caught up. Anyway, the truck is doing good. BUT I do think I need to adjust the kickdown gear cable but I've not found any videos or info on how to do so. Anyone have any idea? Thanks again for all your help fellas! Without you all, I wouldn't be where I'm at. Much appreciated. Just need to get this kickdown gear cable adjusted. So if anyone has any insight please chime in. Thanks again!

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So, are you going to tell us what was actually wrong with it and what you did to fix it?

Locotomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1986
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6inch custom fab lift/86
Total Drop
Bagged 3 inch custom drop beams 88/89 Custom triangulated and step notched rear
Tire Size
35/12.5/r18
My credo
Everything looks better lower
@Bird76Mojo @PetroleumJunkie412
@Locotomb
Hey fellas, sorry it took me awhile to get y'all caught up. Anyway, the truck is doing good. BUT I do think I need to adjust the kick down gear cable but I've not found any videos or info on how to do so. Anyone have any idea? Thanks again for all your help fellas! Without you all, I wouldn't be where I'm at. Much appreciated. Just need to get this kick down gear cable adjusted. So if anyone has any insight please chime in. Thanks again!
You probably can't find any info on a kick down cable because Ford calls it a T.V. cable. (throttle Valve). until 89' I think. It can be adjustded by squeezing the button on the mechanism at the firewall. It's on the left of the throttle cable. Anyways, squeeze the grey button and pull on the cable. It will pull out about an inch or so. Then go for a drive and get on the freeway (or wherever you can goose it.) and floor it. And that's it, you have your auto set length. Don't worry about the sound and feel. its just the self adjuster. Sounds like a zip tie and feels like your cable pops, like it was stuck.

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
@PetroleumJunkie412
I thought you'd never ask. Haha It seems that after all this, it was the o2 sensor.
@CzyRanger
At what point? This thread is 9 pages long, not counting the private messaging/threads. There's no way that everything you mentioned could have been due to an O2 sensor o_O. Your report of what fixed what might have helped other people that have similar problems in the future. But now... oh well.

CzyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You probably can't find any info on a kick down cable because Ford calls it a T.V. cable. (throttle Valve). until 89' I think. It can be adjustded by squeezing the button on the mechanism at the firewall. It's on the left of the throttle cable. Anyways, squeeze the grey button and pull on the cable. It will pull out about an inch or so. Then go for a drive and get on the freeway (or wherever you can goose it.) and floor it. And that's it, you have your auto set length. Don't worry about the sound and feel. its just the self adjuster. Sounds like a zip tie and feels like your cable pops, like it was stuck.
Thanks brother.
@CzyRanger
At what point? This thread is 9 pages long, not counting the private messaging/threads. There's no way that everything you mentioned could have been due to an O2 sensor o_O. Your report of what fixed what might have helped other people that have similar problems in the future. But now... oh well.
@Paulos
Do you think I'm trying to hold back info? Come on man. The lean condition... Back firing all stopped when I changed the o2 sensor. Everything else I did has been well documented with videos etc. Read through the thread. Not sure why you think I'm bsing you or leaving anything out. Yea... I did more (which I documented) but what ended up making the difference was the o2 sensor.... Thanks for the help fellas! I would be willing to help anyone else in need for sure. Not holding back no top secret here guys. ?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals