• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Northern truck prices vs southern truck prices.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Recently while I was down in Georgia me and my brother in law got to discussing buying old trucks. I mentioned the price for clean rangers up north was skyrocketing and it's not uncommon to see clean 20+ year old rangers selling for close to 10k.

He said down there he can buy rust free rangers for less than a couple grand.

This got me thinking, anyone ever consider making a business of buying and moving clean southern trucks up north to resell at a profit?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Yeah, there's a guy in the Princeton area that sells Superduty parts. Most of his trucks come from down south, then he parts them out up here.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Thought about doing that with old cars years ago. But when you have to throw in your time searching out vehicles, having to worry about title and transfers, then having to pick veh up and transport it to where you live,
gets to be more trouble than it's worth to make a few bucks.
And, you have to consider that you may find a real "nice one" on line, get there only to find it's a piece of poo. Then your out your time and trouble.
You also, if you buy/sell alot of vehicles, have to worry about permits/licences, ect. Pain in the arse.
Grumpaw

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
And, you have to consider that you may find a real "nice one" on line, get there only to find it's a piece of poo.

This.

Last week I was working on a Ranger at work, and my thought process started with "I wonder what he'd want for this, its pretty nice" and by the time I was done and had seen everything it was "I wouldn't give him $50 for this thing".

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Did something similar back in the late 1970's and 1980's
But with Cadillac's and Lincolns from So. Cal. and selling in Vancouver, Canada, thats how I end up living in Canada, meet a nice girl and I was a dead duck, lol, happy duck but punching well above my weight class, she is still 5 steps ahead of me most days :)

You really need a car dealers license to go to the auctions, thats where you will find the better deals and clear titles or you don't pay, then you can flip them pretty fast to Northern dealers if they are selling for that much more up north

Pretty tough for one person to do this, need a buyer who lives down south and a seller who lives up north
Transporting is not very expensive.

If you live up north then take a trip down south and talk to a few used car dealers, they are not ALL jerks, lol, they need to be in a big cities with car auctions, trucks are also cheaper in bigger cities, and may have higher miles but less wear and tear
Tell them whats selling up north and leave them your number, do a few dealers
If a Ranger or ?? comes thru they can call you with the info and send pics, and you tell them max price you will pay
They can buy it and make a quick $500-$1,000, ship it to you, and you can keep it or flip it
Obviously you need some startup cash, but you can start small and flip your way up :)

Shipping a car from Atlanta to Chicago runs about $400-$550 700 miles
Back in 70's/80's it was $175-$250 from LA to Eugene OR, about 800 miles
I lived in Eugene at the time and would go through the cars and then drive them up to Vancouver, 6-8 hour drive

If you are not in a hurry transporters will make way better deals to "fill out a load" thats going your way

Last edited:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Recently while I was down in Georgia me and my brother in law got to discussing buying old trucks. I mentioned the price for clean rangers up north was skyrocketing and it's not uncommon to see clean 20+ year old rangers selling for close to 10k.

He said down there he can buy rust free rangers for less than a couple grand.

This got me thinking, anyone ever consider making a business of buying and moving clean southern trucks up north to resell at a profit?
i've thought about this a lot. Especially after i got on here and realized ya'll have a real problem with rust. i have never sees rust like some of the pics i see here. i have see surface rust get out if control and eventually eat away everything, bit nothing like what some of ya'll deal with. i was thinking FRAMES, but whole trucks make sense too i suppose

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Did something similar back in the late 1970's and 1980's
But with Cadillac's and Lincolns from So. Cal. and selling in Vancouver, Canada, thats how I end up living in Canada, meet a nice girl and I was a dead duck, lol, happy duck but punching well above my weight class, she is still 5 steps ahead of me most days :)

You really need a car dealers license to go to the auctions, thats where you will find the better deals and clear titles or you don't pay, then you can flip them pretty fast to Northern dealers if they are selling for that much more up north

Pretty tough for one person to do this, need a buyer who lives down south and a seller who lives up north
Transporting is not very expensive.

If you live up north then take a trip down south and talk to a few used car dealers, they are not ALL jerks, lol, they need to be in big cities with car auctions
Tell them whats selling up north and leave them your number, do a few dealers
If a Ranger or ?? comes thru they can call you with the info and send pics, and you tell them max price you will pay
They can buy it and make a quick $500-$1,000, ship it to you, and you can keep it or flip it
@Dirtman i have a guy who has a dealers license and probably would be down for something like this, of you really want to , PM me

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Id love to buy a texas truck (or something southern) the used stuff here is pretty bad sometimes, esp up by mansfield. “salt belt” indeed!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Craigslist and auto/truck trader online sites make it pretty easy to see what the markets are like for different vehicles in different areas now

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
I used to dream about finding a nice restorable vehicle...pretty much any nice make or model. But, as with everything, a lot passes you by.
Now, retired, and wife and I travel 3-4 months a year in our motor home, taking a lot of secondary roads thru the USA, many in the southern portion of the country, but pretty much in 46 of the lower 48 and Alaska.
Unbelievable the types, ages, and condition of vehicles I'v seen sitting next to homes, in fields, and in used car lots. Have seen thousands of old cars/trucks, classics, rv's, motorhomes.
Would that I had the time to stop and investigate 10 % of what we have driven past.
Grumpaw

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Please don't take our nice southern trucks and destroy them with your rust.

I think many of you would be jealous of my 34 year old BII frame and underside. There is almost no surface rust on the floors...... and that's on the underside!

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, all the good older vehicles are disappearing, they are either being raced and killed or shipped out to the rust belt it seems...

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yeah, all the good older vehicles are disappearing, they are either being raced and killed or shipped out to the rust belt it seems...
Why should all you southerners have all the nice antiques? We want some, too!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
then move where the vehicles don't get trashed, you buy up all the good stuff to just let it rot out again :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals