• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4 cylinder swap options

Otto57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1988 ranger 2.0 2wd with excessive blow by and I am considering rebuilding it. I also am thinking about a swap for something with a little more power but my options seem limited due to the fact that my engine is carbureted. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Explorer 5.0, throw the efi stuff away and buy a carb intake for it. Or just get all the wiring from the efi system and convertical your truck over.

Otto57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Explorer 5.0, throw the efi stuff away and buy a carb intake for it. Or just get all the wiring from the efi system and convertical your truck over.
Money is the other consideration and what years explorer are best for swap

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
When my '87 2.0 blew up I built a carbed 2.3 for it. The engines are the same other than the bore. If you find a carbed Ranger 2.3 it'll have the round port head so you can use your intake and carb.

Otto57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply. That is exactly what I have been thinking about. That way I could keep driving my truck while I build another engine. Only problem is I am having trouble finding an early 2.3 with a distributor and carb setup that is not complete junk. I always hear about people doing V8 swaps and I wonder who is hoarding the 2.3 engines. Gonna keep looking. Thanks again.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It probably wouldn't be that hard to do a carb 2.5 either. Maybe more than a 2.3, but I can't see it being terrible.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
A guy gave me a complete 2.3 out of an '86 Mustang just to get it out of his way. It had to be bored .030 over so that was most of my cost. I figure mine I'm around $1200 into now but if I'd went stock I think I could've been around $600 with a basic rebuild kit. I threw away my 2.0 block or I'd give it to you. I still have the crank, rods and pistons, the small valve round port 2.0 head and intake for the Aisan 2bbl. The pistons would have to be changed for a 2.3 but otherwise they're the same bottom end. You can have all that stuff if you're ever in WNC.

Chain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I just had a fire in my '86 2.0. I was lucky I had a full 30oz ozark trail cup full of sweet tea and a ditch full of water near by. It is running again with new distributor, new one wire alternator swap, carburetor (reman), throttle cable and respective hoses and wires. I now have an acceleration ping so I think the timing is off. It is set to 6deg.
While we were fixing this we were thinking about the 5.0 swap. Then thinking about the gas mileage, we were talking about the 2.3. With the 2.0 not wanting to get out of its own way, He thinks the 2.3 will wake up the truck enough to be more fun to drive. Maybe increase the compression and slightly more aggressive towing cam. That way there will be no headaches, just bolt it in.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You could just buy a new truck for the price of that swap.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
I just had a fire in my '86 2.0. I was lucky I had a full 30oz ozark trail cup full of sweet tea and a ditch full of water near by. It is running again with new distributor, new one wire alternator swap, carburetor (reman), throttle cable and respective hoses and wires. I now have an acceleration ping so I think the timing is off. It is set to 6deg.
While we were fixing this we were thinking about the 5.0 swap. Then thinking about the gas mileage, we were talking about the 2.3. With the 2.0 not wanting to get out of its own way, He thinks the 2.3 will wake up the truck enough to be more fun to drive. Maybe increase the compression and slightly more aggressive towing cam. That way there will be no headaches, just bolt it in.
My 2.3 was night and day difference from the 2.0. Seemed like twice the power but still not enough. I've since sold the 2.3 and put a 302 in. The best mileage I ever got with the 2.3 was around 20mpg with the stock 5-speed and 3.73 gears. The 302 is around 15mpg but with a 4-speed and the same 3.73 gears. I always ran/run both motors pretty hard though.

Chain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My 2.3 was night and day difference from the 2.0. Seemed like twice the power but still not enough. I've since sold the 2.3 and put a 302 in. The best mileage I ever got with the 2.3 was around 20mpg with the stock 5-speed and 3.73 gears. The 302 is around 15mpg but with a 4-speed and the same 3.73 gears. I always ran/run both motors pretty hard though.
Awesome. I am weighing both now. My motor builder buddy is telling me the 2.3 will crank with a rebuild and a little finesse.

I am debating on EFI if I go to 302. Did you stay carb?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Run the mega jolt on a 2.3 efi with your carb and racer walsh intake adapter..

Some of circle track trucks were running a msd dizzy and gm module poor boy g it and successful....but most were bling 1500 dollar setups....

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
Awesome. I am weighing both now. My motor builder buddy is telling me the 2.3 will crank with a rebuild and a little finesse.

I am debating on EFI if I go to 302. Did you stay carb?
My truck was already carbureted from the factory so I left the 302 that way. That way I didn't have to put a pump in the tank and mount and run wires for a computer. I use a mechanical fuel pump and I'm still using my stock Duraspark box for ignition.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals