• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What years have interchangeable body parts?

SmokeEater829

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
I'm sure I'll get flamed for asking this, but I figured it would be easier to ask. Will the doors or rear hatch from an 85 B2 fit my 89 B2? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I wanted to check.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
If the doors would fit the 89, they would be missing speaker holes, you'd have to cut your own. I have no reason to doubt that all the doors in question would interchange otherwise.

SmokeEater829

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. My B2 is still at my hunting lease so I can't look at them side by side. I've got a chance to buy another complete running b2 for $500. I'm probably gonna jump on it just cuz it's a good deal.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the doors work. I put 88 doors on my 90, because I wanted manual windows. I put an 84 hatch on my 90 also. Front sheetmetal is the only real difference.

kieROBI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sorry to be resurrecting an old thread, but looking for information on what body panels will interchange between the years? I've got a 2000 Ranger 2wd stepside bed and need to know what I'm looking for when I hit the junkyards.

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.

kieROBI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Things are not always as simple as they seem. I had a 86 ranger that I took off the road and bought a 84 Bronco to put on the road, planning to use parts from the 86 ranger. One difference I didn't plan on was the radiator support. While the frontends look the same on the 84 and the 86, the radiators and radiator supports are totally different. The 84 radiator started seeping. I go to swap in the new radiator I had in the 86, won't fit. Look at a new radiator for the 84, it's around $400.00. Look at the new radiator that was a couple of years old out of the 86, it's about $150.00.

I did not want to change the whole radiator support out. What I did was made cuts in the 84 lower radiator mounts, bent them around flat, and then punched large holes in the metal to accept the large rubber donuts from the 86 radiator mount. The 86 radiator then slipped in place, with a couple of holes drilled in the top for the upper radiator brackets. Warning; I did not try to install the 84 radiator shroud, I already had an electric fan mounted on the 86 radiator so I used that. Not sure what would be needed to mount the radiator shroud from either year into the 84 with the 86 radiator installed.

BSwift

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's a pretty minor modification to save some bucks. I'm doing a similar build to https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/ford-ranger-generations-1983-present.182361/. In the planning stages but not doing the 4.0 swap. I have 3 BII's. Planning a single well thought out and executed vehicle, dependable and fun, maybe even look good to boot, LOL. Doing some horse trading with a buddy that can rebuild one of the 2.9's and then putting in D7 axles from one and converting to manual hubs. One 85 BII has no title, one 89 Eddie Bauer has a salvage title with a dead A4LD, and third 89 "runs" but has crappy interior and a little rust. I'v got two of about everything with varying levels of good to bad.
Right now, I intend to do the engine rebuild first and clean up the engine bay and replace the clutch master/slave cylinder assembly to get a running solid vehicle. Then I'll swap the D7 axles and do the hubs and breaks. After that it will be the interior/dash swap from the Eddie Bauer to the XLT. The 85 has manual crank windows with vents and the rear hatch has the lift glass but the hatch has a 1 sq ft hole that I have to repair. Picked up the fiberglass repair kit the other day so I may begin there after all.
Being self employed, my time is the hardest thing to part with, gotta make a livin' when it presents itself.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I found out the 84 is odd in several ways. I bought it with a bad 5 speed transmission. He had a rebuild kit he threw in, and a new main input shaft/gear also. But when I tore the trans on down I found the front gear on the bottom counter gear assembly was missing some teeth also. That and some missing detent pieces left me discouraged and not wanted to mess with it. Looking around I found out the 84 5 speed is an oddball, it's a Toyo Koygo, but it has the external slave for the clutch, a one year only deal. So that makes it very difficult to find a used trans for it.

Doing research, mainly on this site, they warned that all the different transmissions where different lengths. The 5 speed in the 86 ranger was a F146 Mitsubishi. I did some preliminary measuring, and came away scratching my head, they seemed to be very close, pretty much the same from the bell to the transfer case flange. So I decided to do the swap, it bolted right in. You do have to use the 2.9 flywheel and clutch on the 2.8, but other than that, went right in. I even took the ranger clutch system out complete, not taking anything apart. The hard part was snaking it up through beside the engine as I was moving the trans in place, but I got it, and didn't even have to bleed it.

Another thing I was worried about, the ranger had the electronic transfer case, the 84 had the manual transfer case. Did the electronic transfer case adapter have the required threaded holes to mount the manual transfer case shifter properly. Sure did, just had to dig the road dirt out of them, shifter bolted right in place.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Doing some horse trading with a buddy that can rebuild one of the 2.9's and then putting in D7 axles from one and converting to manual hubs.
I really liked the 2.9 in the ranger. It had plenty of power, unlike the 2.8. But I always had a idle problem with it that I was never able to cure. Fuel injection is great when it works. But as the wiring gets older, it can start to get problematic. And the EECIV system is not the greatest to troubleshoot. I decommissioned the computer system on the carbed 2.8, and it runs like a top, though I have to get used to not having the power the 2.9 had. I put new heads on the 2.9 and it didn't use a drop of oil. No one has ever made a homemade carb conversion for a 2.9, but someday I might try it. Just comparing the exhaust pipe size from the 2.8 to the 2.9, there is a big difference. I bet the 2.9 would take a decent size 4bbl with ease.

Jessene

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
1999 Ford Ranger 2 wh drive extended cab / will the passenger door fit in my 1998 Ford Ranger 4wh drive extended cab? both XLTs

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I went to this site https://www.car-part.com/ and plugged in that I was looking for a 1998 pass side door. I picked a electric right hand door. They didn't ask about being a extended cab so apparently that doesn't matter. In the list that came up, it listed doors from 1995 all the way through to 2002 as fitting.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals